• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (1 Viewer)

You've handled the reflection of the first swan beautifully. Lovely use of colour, too.

Yep - it's really the PotNoodle of the art world. Instant result, immediately satiating yet ultimately delivering scant nutrition and leaves one wishing one had peeled a few veg instead.
(But we all do it, from time to time ;) )

Not only does the cold weather seem to be producing some exceptional art work it also seems to be providing some of the best comments I've seen recently! I won't soon forget 'PotNoodle of the art world'.;)

What I don't quite understand though is whether you're saying it's more fulfilling to peel vegetables than paint from photos or just that the nutrition would be better from vegetables than pot noodles.;) I think and hope it's the latter!! Would be a sad indictment indeed if it were the former.

Snow blind

Just to prove that staying indoors because of the snow, can make you stir crazy, What started of as a dead tree in a woodland scene, with the hope of introducing some sparrows....... ended up as a mild fantasty drawing..... This being the final stage before i ruin it with colour......
a.jpg
I need to get out more.......:smoke:

Even in California, it's been cold, I've evolved a method of sketching with the scope braced on a slightly closed car window, and leaving the heater on in the car while I draw.....I know I know, not willing to suffer sufficently to be a great artist

loving the fanatsy drawing, I'm toying with the idea of being more 'fantasy' in the pictures I do - got fantasy/cubist images of purple sandpipers in my head at the moment. The less real it looks, the less it can be compared to reality.

I have been browsing through your sketches - Very beautiful work and great job on capturing their attitudes!

~Deanna

So heres the finished article.....
Not stictly wildlife, but this was due to lack of opportunity to escape whilst we were snow bound.....Therefore really hoping to get out this weekend and 'mark up some paper' before i go totally mad and start another fantasy drawing......
a.jpg

(Just hope there a bucket or two of wild ducks out there tomorrow, otherwise I may need to reach for another beer) B :)

Last edited:
So heres the finished article.....
Not stictly wildlife, but this was due to lack of opportunity to escape whilst we were snow bound.....Therefore really hoping to get out this weekend and 'mark up some paper' before i go totally mad and start another fantasy drawing......
View attachment 238259

(Just hope there a bucket or two of wild ducks out there tomorrow, otherwise I may need to reach for another beer) B :)
I love this, it is very creative...trees do just lend themselves somehow methinks. I think you have been quite restrained, I have been known to start adding fairies and goblins to some of my tree art as well...lol.
Fungi are also great for a little inspiration for this sort of thing.
However, hopefully by now you will have escaped the confines of the house....just in time for the next snow!

As Woody has already mentioned, we did finally get to go out last weekend, and get some scribbling done, well him more than me. After a long period of confinement, my sketching has almost gone back to rats''t.
So this week, I've had another go at drawing from the photos, to build a knowledge of the shapes if nothing more, being fully aware that this can not replace true real time sketching....

a.jpg

This being half of the sheet that I'm working on.....A Shoveller and a Ringed Plover (not sure on the overall shape of this one now). The rest will be a pair of Mallards and a few more Shovellers. A page to remember the day out if nothing else..

But if I were to post my excuse for a scribble, you'd see the difference.....its far easier to work from photos till my sketching comes back to me.....

Andrew H;1717371.its far easier to work from photos till my sketching comes back to me.....[/QUOTE said:
Tim said something similar is it really so that after all the work the sketching falls off if you don't use it. I wonder why???? in the tape of Ten Days to Paint the Forest, one of the artists says each day he begins, the starting sketches are no good and it takes a bit to get on skill again. If so this is not the same for painting, I can lay off a good while and start about the same....Sketching is a different skill somehow, maybe the eye hand coordination is more fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back