• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weather in the Amazon basin i Jan-Feb (1 Viewer)

Wolf Beam

Hi guys,

Five years ago I spent 5 weeks in Ecuador. It was great but a little shattered since I got bitten by a dog and had to go to Quito four times in order to get rabies vaccination shots.

However, I spent about a week in the Amazon around Coca. The weather was good for two days and really miserable for five days (Heavy heavy rains). I wonder if that is what you should expect in Jan-Feb? I'd like to go to the Amazon this winter but I reckon that it should be better weather in Venezuela by that time (Jan)? Otherwise I'd like to return to Ecuador.

Wolf

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Five years ago I spent 5 weeks in Ecuador. It was great but a little shattered since I got bitten by a dog and had to go to Quito four times in order to get rabies vaccination shots.

However, I spent about a week in the Amazon around Coca. The weather was good for two days and really miserable for five days (Heavy heavy rains). I wonder if that is what you should expect in Jan-Feb? I'd like to go to the Amazon this winter but I reckon that it should be better weather in Venezuela by that time (Jan)? Otherwise I'd like to return to Ecuador.

Wolf

The weather here has been rather strange the past couple of years, possibly due to El Niño. This past year we didn't get much of a rainy season which resulted in water shortages. Normally our wettest months are January - March. But it seems that right now any time you come you will be taking your chances. Hope this helps a bit.

I've been told by other researchers in eastern Ecuador that Jan and Feb are consistently drier than other times of the year (though not necessarily always "dry"). Last year at that time, when I was there, was unusually dry- I rarely got rained out of my field work.

So far, its been very rainy here! But, I've only been here for three days now!
Apparently it is a bit drier than normal for the first part of January where I am, but now we are getting the usual heavy rains. Thankfully they don't last all day, and there is at least some sunshine!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back