• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking to Travel!!! (1 Viewer)

Im looking to do a tour of just about anywhere in the world. Recently got back from Taiwan (my first birding trip out side of the UK) and just want to get back out birding anywhere in the world urgently! So if you have any spaces id be most interested!

Anywhere in the world is a little vague 8-P, but personally I would say, visit somewhere in the alps, a bunch of amazing species to be seen there and it's not to far from 'home'.

anywhere really, just want to see some new birds and meet more birders interested in world birding. only 17 so cant self drive but if others where planning a holiday like that it would be fine.

If you want to go somewhere with decent birding that can be done by public transport I can thoroughly recommend Malaysia, had a car for much of it but it certainly isn't essential. PM me for hints and help. Or else northern India is incredible, totally affordable even with a hired car with driver. Likewise re PM.

Or (if you don't mind the moral issues) go to Israel, excellent birding, good transport network, etc

Sabah, north Borneo is perfect. Bus / taxi from Kota Kinabalu to Gunung Kinabalu where there is plenty of reasonable accommodation just outside the park gates. Taxi down to Ranau ( or to Poring Hot Springs on the lower slopes of the mountain ), the express bus to Sandakan then a bus to Sepilok ( or, better still, contact Sabah Forestry to see if you can stay at Sepilok Laut in the mangroves and walk through the forest to the Orang sanctuary ). Contact Sabah Foundation, in KK, and see if there is any spare accommodation at Danum Valley Field Centre ( if you could stay here the difference in cost compared to Danum Valley Lodge would give you another week at least ) which would mean a bus / taxi to Lahad Datu where you would be picked up. You should average up to 100 species a week.

@Little Hampton if you are looking for any birding safari I would recommend you join me in Kenya on a guided birding in June 17-30, oct 1-18 and November 2-19 ,2015 if your budget is about 4000USD$ and abvove see links below http://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com/kenya-birding-safari/14-days-kenya-june-birding-tour.html
http://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com/kenya-birding-safari/kenya-november-birding-tour.html
http://www.natureswonderlandsafaris...a-birding-and-wildlife-tour-october-2016.html

the list number you can get on either of this tour is 450 species if you have never been to Africa.
Regards,
Joseph

Littlehampton - I live in North London, but work and life commitments mean that I can't do much British listing at the drop of a hat anymore. Anyway, after going to Canada a couple of years ago and seeing tonnes of stunning warblers, I decided that I would focus on world listing, aiming at a minimum of 100 new species a year.

I've just got a new job with 12 weeks' holiday a year, so if you want to PM to discuss potential destinations, feel free to do so. Most of the regulars on my London patch are only interested in WP lists, so using bf to look for other birders to lower the costs is something I'm also planning to do. Happy to drive but, wherever possible, I would want to avoid hiring guides to keep things as cheap as possible.

At the moment, I'm thinking of going to Arizona in July, possibly Cyprus in the autumn...

Littlehampton - I live in North London, but work and life commitments mean that I can't do much British listing at the drop of a hat anymore. Anyway, after going to Canada a couple of years ago and seeing tonnes of stunning warblers, I decided that I would focus on world listing, aiming at a minimum of 100 new species a year.

I've just got a new job with 12 weeks' holiday a year, so if you want to PM to discuss potential destinations, feel free to do so. Most of the regulars on my London patch are only interested in WP lists, so using bf to look for other birders to lower the costs is something I'm also planning to do. Happy to drive but, wherever possible, I would want to avoid hiring guides to keep things as cheap as possible.

At the moment, I'm thinking of going to Arizona in July, possibly Cyprus in the autumn...

Hi,

I would also be interested in teaming up, especially if you are looking at destinations which are good for both birds and mammals and are happy to self drive. South Africa is great for both and really easy to self drive. So is Yellowstone.

All the best,

Jo.

Might you consider volunteering abroad, I once spent 3 months working at long point bird obs in Canada, I received food and board in return. it was an amazing experience and I saw 200+ sp, most in full breeding plumage. Duties included 6 hr ringing per day (no license required), some data collection and general maintenance. Other bird obs globally offer similar possibilities.

Harry, not trying to be funny but considering your mum would not let you come to Malaysia with me, why would she allow you to travel with people you message over Birdforum?

East and Central Java can be a good suggestion for you. Not many people come to this places and there are many hidden spot you will like to see :)

Hi Jo,

I spent a fair bit of time looking at South Africa, so that could definitely be an option. I'd be really keen to see mammals as well, but birds are the main priority for me. Happy to consider a lot of destinations...

Harry - Simmo's right, you need to be careful with postings on any online forums. As others have stated, volunteering could be a really good option considering your age.

Generally speaking, I'd like to spend at least a day birding in the UK with someone before heading off for a week or so. On a practical level, I'd like to make sure I could get on with someone, have a laugh, beer and so forth, before spending a week or so birding with them... Adam

Hi Jo,

I spent a fair bit of time looking at South Africa, so that could definitely be an option. I'd be really keen to see mammals as well, but birds are the main priority for me. Happy to consider a lot of destinations...

Harry - Simmo's right, you need to be careful with postings on any online forums. As others have stated, volunteering could be a really good option considering your age.

Generally speaking, I'd like to spend at least a day birding in the UK with someone before heading off for a week or so. On a practical level, I'd like to make sure I could get on with someone, have a laugh, beer and so forth, before spending a week or so birding with them... Adam

Cool, well I am based in Norwich so if you feel you would like to meet up sometime and do some local birding that would be fine. I have some leave last week of march first week of April and no plans to travel abroad if that suits you, or if not then we can make it a weekend some other time instead. :t:

Littlehampton - I can vouch for Jo, she is ok.

From my perspective my birding pals are also not really into world listing so I turned to this site for companions. Maybe I have been lucky but I have had no problems for far. I organised a trip to Madagascar with 5 strangers, most of whom where from Sussex. It went well and I'm going away again with some of them later in the year. I also joined a trip to Ghana and had a good experience with 2 guys there too that I didn't know. I'm joining another trip to Sulawesi with 3 people I don't know.

I can see the dangers of going away with just another person especially for someone of your age. For me I'm not in a position to afford a trip with a bird tour company (well I couldn't do as many trips anyway) so doing it this way with a local guide is the only way I could do it and it's much more cost effective. We had 2 guides between 3 of us in Ghana. No way would you get that ratio on an organised tour. The chances are you will get along with your travel companions, as you will share a similar interest. There would be as much chance of coming across people you don't like in an organised tour as you would a small group.

I would also recommend volunteering. I know the US Forest Service used to pay some of their volunteers and provide accommodation. I worked for a while in Oregon through effectively an agency called Experience International and I had a great time. Nothing stopping you applying to them or applying to some of the parks directly. If you want specific bird work then ringing is a good place to start - long point, Eilat.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back