• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lapped faced vs asian black vulture (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

Hello

These 2 species of old world vulture seem to be very similiar. My question is do these two birds ever encounter each other in the wild? if so which one tends to rule over the other? as far as i undersand both have extremly powerful beaks with dominant natures! LOVE to see one encounter the other! out of the two which is beleived to have a more powerful beak? As far as i understand the asian black vulture is slightly larger.

Lappet-faced is essentially an African species, extending into the Arabian peninsula. What you refer to as Asian Black Vulture, more correctly Eurasian Black Vulture or Monk Vulture, will not normally come into contact with Lappet-faced.

Bliz

Both birds tend to fill the same ecological niche in that they both have meat-cleaver beaks & can open the toughest of carcases. They both dominate their respective Gyps species (White backed Vulture & Rupell's Griffon for Lappet-faced & Eurasian Griffon for Eurasian Black) at the carcase, both are tree-nesters rather than cliff-nesters & both tend not to be colonial. I suspect that they are too similar to be able to co-exist & I don't know of any area where there is geographical overlap (perhaps they may previously have met in North-West Africa however Eurasian Black is effectively extinct as an African species though the odd bird may wander from the nearby increasing Spanish population).

I happen to fin this thread and feel this picture belongs here.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/89167434/De-Agostini

Check this out it looks like not all the vultures in this picture are eurasian black vultures and the one spreading its wings looks like t.negevensis - middle eastern subsoecies of lappet-faced vultures, proabaly those two behemoths have been found together for once.
It would be interesting to see how they would interact. The vulture spreading its wings looks like a t.negevensis - I don't think we should waste this thread :). We can use it to discuss what might happen if they mated?

I happen to fin this thread and feel this picture belongs here.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/89167434/De-Agostini

Check this out it looks like not all the vultures in this picture are eurasian black vultures and the one spreading its wings looks like t.negevensis - middle eastern subsoecies of lappet-faced vultures, proabaly those two behemoths have been found together for once.
It would be interesting to see how they would interact. The vulture spreading its wings looks like a t.negevensis - I don't think we should waste this thread :). We can use it to discuss what might happen if they mated?

Are any of these Eurasian Black Vultures?
Apart from the wingspread bird they all look like Eurasian Griffons to me.

Are any of these Eurasian Black Vultures?
Apart from the wingspread bird they all look like Eurasian Griffons to me.

Good point there - I was a little puzzled myself. The one with wingspread is definately looks like t.negevensis and the rest seem lke griffons, the person who made this photo said they were a group of EBVS even including its scientific name. Probably, the person might have mistaken something for something else? The pictures are a little too small for a clearer look.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back