• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's on this moth? (1 Viewer)

DungCrystal

So a few minutes ago I found this moth - which I've not yet identified - that was struggling on a tile walkway. I took it in and inspected it and found it had this growth or attached filament thing which looks like it may be part of its cocoon that was attached to its left eye and antenna. My question then is: is my guess that the cocoon stuck to the moth when it was metamorphosing correct? and is this common?

All theories and information is very welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 37
From what I can see, it appears to be parts of the pupal case that are still attached to the appendages (antennar and legs), which means that it didn't quite emerge properly. This does happen and will probably result in its early demise.

Nyctemera sp.
Erebidae, Arctiinae, Arctiini

I agree with Martin Honey - looks as though the moth didn't eclose properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back