• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

oldmudclip

oldmudclip
Last winter 4 waxwings were spotted in a tree in a supermarket car park near here in Essex.(Apparently they like the berries on bushes that are always planted in Tesco shrubberies). Can anyone tell me if and when I am likely to see them this way again? Has anyone seen them recently heading this way? I am a hopeless birder but I saw A green woodpecker on a telegraph pole last week and as it was a first for me I thought I would share the joy with you
Oldmudclip
Carpe Diem

By any measure, last year's invasion was something exceptional with many thousand hitting the UK shores. Unfortunately, influxes of very large numbers are only once in every few years (and of the magnitude of last year, I think we might be considerably older before we see that again). This year seems far more 'back to normal' with a scatter of small flocks, mostly in Scotland and the north.
Over here on the continent, nothing unusual seems to be happening, but this weekend saw large numbers arriving - saw about 400 on Saturday (but this is to be expected here). Hope I'm wrong for your sake, but I would guess your Tesco won't be so lively this year :)

Hi there

There are some about - 20 or so reported (not by me ...huh) from along the east Norfolk coastal strip up by Sea Palling last week

Not in Essex i know but maybe you'll get them as well

Waxwings Where are they ?

Hope your Waxwings do turn up,however they may go to Asda for a better bargain,can anyone tell us how far South (U.K.) they are, any sightings south of the border yet ? .

Hi,
Last year was, indeed, exceptional with 13 recorded daily at Church Langley Tescos, near Harlow. Previous year 15 were at Edinburgh Way Tesco's Harlow for over 6 weeks feeding on rowan and cotoneaster. I heard that a small party were recorded over Rye Meads RSPB reserve last week but didn't hang around. One has been reported in Stortford but again, passing through.
Being as the invasion of siskin, redpoll and even brambling appears to have reached Hertfordshire (I recorded all 3 sp along River Stort on Sunday 27th) I feel that there maybe more waxies on their way.
Beechmast failed in Scandinavia this year, and along with, or because of, a long dry summer, there was ideal breeding conditions, so may well get an irruption due to a.) no local food and b.) population explosion.
Certainly, a lot of the siskins I have seen (80+ along the River Stort between Stortford and Spellbrook) have been first year birds.
Keep your eyes on www.fly.to/bsbg and www.hertsbirdclub.org.uk as waxwing sightings appear here fairly rapidly after being first noticed.
Hope you find some this winter.
Jono

jforgham said:
Hi,
Last year was, indeed, exceptional with 13 recorded daily at Church Langley Tescos, near Harlow. Previous year 15 were at Edinburgh Way Tesco's Harlow for over 6 weeks feeding on rowan and cotoneaster. I heard that a small party were recorded over Rye Meads RSPB reserve last week but didn't hang around. One has been reported in Stortford but again, passing through.
Being as the invasion of siskin, redpoll and even brambling appears to have reached Hertfordshire (I recorded all 3 sp along River Stort on Sunday 27th) I feel that there maybe more waxies on their way.
Beechmast failed in Scandinavia this year, and along with, or because of, a long dry summer, there was ideal breeding conditions, so may well get an irruption due to a.) no local food and b.) population explosion.
Certainly, a lot of the siskins I have seen (80+ along the River Stort between Stortford and Spellbrook) have been first year birds.
Keep your eyes on www.fly.to/bsbg and www.hertsbirdclub.org.uk as waxwing sightings appear here fairly rapidly after being first noticed.
Hope you find some this winter.
Jono

Hi Jono
Thank you for your reply concerning waxwings. I shall definitely keep an extra watchful eye open now it seems they may be around soon. I have made a note of the two sites you mentioned and will investigate. The waxwings I saw last year were in the Range carpark opposite Tescos in Edinburgh Way, Harlow. My GP who is a very keen birdwatcher was in a state of heightened excitement when he spotted them and almost dragged me by the collar so that I could share his glee.
There is a beautiful photo of a waxwing in Birdforum Gallery, I wish I could see one as clearly as that.
Re siskins, in the late summer I have seen a large flock in a field by the Stort (almost opposite the Beckhams house) they were so fast I thought they were butterflies until I got the bins out.
Have you spotted any kingfishers along the Stort? I have been told they are to be seen on a backwater by Pishiobury Park, but no luck so far. Do you know of any other locations nearby?
Oldmudclip
Best wishes

Had a quick search on Birdguides for recent sightings of waxwing, there has been single birds in Leicester and Cambridge so they're getting closer.......

Have you spotted any kingfishers along the Stort? I have been told they are to be seen on a backwater by Pishiobury Park, but no luck so far. Do you know of any other locations nearby?
Oldmudclip
Best wishes[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Kingfishers are regular all along the Stort. My local patch is Pig LAne , Bishop's Stortford, turn right after traffic lights as you come into Stortford from Sawbo, just before Boys High School. Over railway bridge and there is a car park just before the lock gates. Walk south towards Spellbrook and more times than not will get several fly pasts, and if observant enough, may glimpse one perched. May see you down there sometime as I normally spend a few weekend hours wandering around and enjoying a pint in the 3 Horseshoes at Spellbrook. My patch list for this stretch of the river, since September, is over 60, with hobby, mealy redpoll, LSW, grey wag, nuthatch some of the more unusual findings. Regular updates from myself and others on www.fly.to/bsbg.
Good luck
Jono

jeff said:
Had a quick search on Birdguides for recent sightings of waxwing, there has been single birds in Leicester and Cambridge so they're getting closer.......

We had a flock in a tree in the hospital car-park here in Orkney yesterday. I don't know if this is a follow-on group or some that chose to stay.

jeff said:

16 reported from Waxham yesterday and 14 from Ormesby today ...

But not by me !

Wow...how exciting!

oldmudclip said:
Last winter 4 waxwings were spotted in a tree in a supermarket car park near here in Essex.(Apparently they like the berries on bushes that are always planted in Tesco shrubberies). Can anyone tell me if and when I am likely to see them this way again? Has anyone seen them recently heading this way? I am a hopeless birder but I saw A green woodpecker on a telegraph pole last week and as it was a first for me I thought I would share the joy with you
Oldmudclip
Carpe Diem

I would love love love to see a waxwing! Hope you get your chance!

Hi,
2 waxwing confirmed over Newport station (West Essex/East Herts) yesterday. I still think we're in for a bumper year again.
Jono

Waxwings coming south

Hi django,
Last winter we had a nice flock of waxwings visit a retail park in Hedge End, just up the road from where I live. One of the reason they visit the supermarket areas is that most have planted 'sorbus' kind of trees (eg Mountain Ash types) that have berries the birds love.
These type of trees I understand are very resistant to pollution, that of course is generated in large car parks.
The trees the birds visited were right outside a branch of Jessops!!
I think ww were also seen further south and it may have been because there were severe gales up north.
I just hope the birds return again this winter.

Cheers,

madmike (o)<

jforgham said:
Hi,
2 waxwing confirmed over Newport station (West Essex/East Herts) yesterday. I still think we're in for a bumper year again.
Jono
Hi Jono,
What exciting news that waxwings have been reported so close to us!! Hope they spread as far as here soon. Was very interested in your reply about Mr Kingfisher on the stretch of the Stort towards Spellbrook, will check it out asap. You never know we may meet there. Have been out today looking at the water birds on the gravel pits in Harlow and saw about 50 lapwings and some tufted ducks plus dozens of different species of gulls. Was fascinated by one gull being mugged for a fish he had in his beak. Talk soon
Oldmudclip

I've only seen one flock this year in St Andrews and another in Stanley. It has'nt been that easy for them this year. It may well be a couple of years before we see the number that we saw last year again.

Waxwings When

Think we should run a sweep as to the first sighting in Harlow Essex,I think it will be around the end of Jan 2006.

We've had 80+ around Billingham the last few days. Nothing like the number we had last year but they are a few weeks earlier than last year. I can't see them hanging around for long as there aren't really anything like enough berries to hold them. I dare say it won't be long before they all head further south.

django said:
Think we should run a sweep as to the first sighting in Harlow Essex,I think it will be around the end of Jan 2006.

You'll have to be more precise than that Django :)
I reckon Sunday the 22nd January.

Ian

django said:

Hi Django:
I'm in and will follow yours with 25.12.05 roundabout on A120 where you turn left for Tescos and right to go down to Stansted Road in Bishop's Stortford. Always see a good bird on Christmas Day. These will then move on to Harlow by 17th January. I'll plump for Edinburgh Way Tesco. Anyone else in for a guess.
However, Django, shall be along my usual patch Sunday as from 11.00 until 3.00 with a pint break in 3 horseshoes, Spellbrook around 1.20 - 2.00 if you or anyone else care to join LSW hunt, along with winter finch count. All welcome. Anywhere from Pig Lane/Twyford Locks to Spellbrook locks via towpath and pub during this time.
Jono

Last edited:
I spent enough time chasing them in the Black Country last winter. Very elusive, and just like the proverbial bus, when I saw my first one, about 40 followed one after the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back