• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Budget Scope (1 Viewer)

jamo

This must get asked a lot here, I'v done searches here but cant find anything definite to go on so I'm looking for peoples experiences if possible.

I have about €300-350 to spend including shipping, and I'm looking for my first scope, living in Ireland I will use it mostly for shorebirds at long range I think and weight is not a huge issue, the possibility to use for digiscoping would be great but not essential by any means as I use a dslr.
Everytime I ask my fellow birders here I'm told to buy Opticron or Swarovski etc, which I know is great advice I know but out of my reach.
Any general technical advice on what to look for objective size, view, etc would be most welcome.
I am considering buying off ebay and I'm also looking at scopes like the celestron ultima 80ed on other sites. Hoping to avoid issues like bad ca fringing etc.

I have also been looking at warehouse express but I'm equally lost suggestions most welcome.

Makes like opticron, swrovski, Zeiss are out of my budget range so there's no use mentioning them some low end Nikons may just be in with a shout if they give good bang for buck.

Advice from members most welcome, some url's below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOM-SPOTTING...7583458841QQcategoryZ3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Giant-20-60-U...Z7211853485QQcategoryZ383QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Viper-Optics-...7582234843QQcategoryZ3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-60X60-Powe...7580810337QQcategoryZ3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Opticron MM2 maybe (?), if you're looking for something small but still ok. Priced about £200 depending on which eyepiece you buy with it. ... warehouseexpress have them, and no doubt other places

Dunno anything about bigger scopes in that price though

All I would add would be don't buy a scope off e-bay. You don't know what you are getting. At least with dealers you have some rights if the goods are defective , on e-bay you've got none.
If you have a decent optics supplier anywhere near you go along they will have a used section for sure. You will be able to get a good scope for less if you go pre-owned.
I'm using a pre-owned Kowa 823 scope and it cost me less than £500 with a brand new 50x eyepiece, so it's worth investigating the used side of things.

I have never used one but the Viking AV-50 is within your price range. See the RSPB website for more information.

Karl J said:
Opticron MM2 maybe (?), if you're looking for something small but still ok. Priced about £200 depending on which eyepiece you buy with it. ... warehouseexpress have them, and no doubt other places

Thats the route I took but not because of cost - I wanted a scope I could take to work and also carry on a bike along with my camera gear.

I use it mostly for sea/estuary watching where the distances involved are usually fairly large and am most pleased with it - spent the day at Hayle estuary with a group of birders and was able to put them on ring-billed & med gull which had gone unnoticed - they all had Swaro/Leica/Nikon gear.

I bought the MM II body and an HDF zoom eyepiece (40862) which was about £270, Warehouseexparess also sell a MM II kit for £249 which includes a 25w eyepiece, grippa case and tripod (just click the link at the top of the page and go to spotting scopes/Opticron)

There are other Opticron scopes in your price range and maybe a Nikon.

My brother bought a no-name budget scope for around a £100 and neither of us can see a thing through it - it's dark, distorted - horrible, the MM II is not like that - I've used it after sunset to view Bitterns.

I have an Opitcron Imagic 60 (60 something - can't remember) and spent extra on the eye-piece HDF 22WW as this made a vast difference on test. This lightweight set up is fantastic; user friendly, good depth and field of view, and often praised by the many that I let look through it as if it were an expensive piece of kit. I suspect it wouldn't hold its own against the "big names" in really bad light, but how oftren do you need to use it at dusk/dawn?
Check out the Opticron web site for eye-piece data.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I think this will set me off in the right direction. I'm off to look at your suggestions today online.

One thought just struck me, as I would wish to have the best low light performance from an entry level scope, would I be better with an 80mm objective or should I trust the light output figures in the specification?

Thanks lots

Thats true, but I read here that the Delta 70mm compares well with the Opticron MM2 and is said to be better in poor light? with a pretty similar price tag, I read it also accepts opticron eyepieces?
However my strategy is probably to buy an Opticron MM and a good zoom eyepiece then upgrade the scope body sometime in the future to better glass.
I'm watching the used market also for likely scopes.

jamo

iporali said:
Hi Jamo,

Have you seen this http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=50158 ?
I think a fluorite Kowa TSN-3 or 4 with a 20x to 30x eyepiece is a very good option - if the scope is in good condition.

Ilkka

Thanks it would have been a bit expensive for me I think.

Just ordered a new Kowa TS 612 60mm which seemed to be a descent piece of kit for the money £200 though I know its not ED glass, it comes with a 20-40 eyepiece and I read some good reviews of the scope before buying, hope it's going to do the job for me.

jamo

jamo said:
Thanks it would have been a bit expensive for me I think.

Just ordered a new Kowa TS 612 60mm which seemed to be a descent piece of kit for the money £200 though I know its not ED glass, it comes with a 20-40 eyepiece and I read some good reviews of the scope before buying, hope it's going to do the job for me.

jamo

good choice

Kowa Scope TS 612 Arrived

Steve Babbs said:
good choice

Sorry I didnt see your reply till now Steve.

For anyone searching for a basic evaluation the Kowa ts 612 mine arrived today.

Can't compare to any other scopes as all I have ever used is bad bins and had a quick look through some very expensive Swarovski's etc though I have experience of dslr photography.
However the day is very dull, misty, overcast and getting a bit duskish now, but the scope is performing quite well. I'm watching my local Siskins on a peanut feeder 20M away through window glass, there appears to be little loss of light, though I'm sure there is some it seems perfectly acceptable to me even when zoomed to 40X. The scope is very light and usable with the depth of field quite good at mid zoom dropping to a few inches at the 20M distance when zoomed to the full 40X.
The eyepiece cover is handy for protecting the scope sight and the objective has an extendable shade. The viewing image is quite sharp though I think it could be a bit better it's by no means poor. I'd expect some slight ca espicially in bright light but I think for the money this is a very usable scope indeed.

Thanks to all who helped me in my quest and I hope this is of use to others. :t:

JG

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried an Alpen Scope?They offer nitrogen purged waterproof scopes with multicoated lenses and a lifetime warranty at riduculously low prices.-Too good to be true?

One way to buy bargain scopes on Ebay or elsewhere

I buy optics successfully on the internet or on Ebay by checking to find items available in locations near enough for me to visit, or perhaps near to someone I trust. Ebay prices can provide incredible savings. Often something someone else wants to get out of their closet, is just what you want. I can't comment on Euro pricing too much, but everything I've read in this forum seems discouragingly over-priced. I paid $300 for my used Takahashi flourite scope (400mm) and it's better than any Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski or other totally integrated spotter that my friends have. Televue scopes are also excellent.

The best values I've seen have been scopes like the Celestron C-5 spotting scope. There is no chromatic/color problem because it uses mirrors, not lenses (except of course for the eyepieces. I use Takahashi eyepieces that I carry around with me.) I don't know how much small Schmidt-Cassegrain spotting scopes cost in Europe but they retail new in the USA for less than $400. Our bird/fox preserve uses mostly binoculars because the viewing distances range from 10m to 350m, but scopes become useful at the longer distances.

Recently a Chinese company called NC Star has been selling a 30-90x90mm spotting scope in the USA for $139 retail with $20 shipping. I'd say this is a super-low-priced item. If you get to New York City, you can walk into retailers like Adorama and just buy one. I live 1000 miles away from NYC in Kansas so I would have to buy mine mail order, but the 2 I've seen are remarkable values. I have a friend living 600 miles away in Chicago who has purchased a Zhumell 30-100x118mm spotting scope for $350 plus $30 shipping and he is very happy that he sold his Nikon Fieldscope to get it. It isn't waterproof but it is superbright and is sharp at 75x-80x.

Right now I'd look at products from Carl Zeiss Jena that are being sold off surplus in Europe. Binoculars made in Poland and Hungary for their military are also great values. I've seen a Meopta spotting scope a friend brough back from the Czech Republic and it cost 75% less than a similar Zeiss scope, but the image quality is comparable to a Diascope or Televid. There are often lesser known items of superb quality that are available at bargain prices. I haven't seen a quality Russian spotting scope yet, but I've seen some 8x30 Russian binoculars made for their military that are as good as anything out there and I've only used German binoculars for the last 15 years.

Big brand names usually sell status as about 50% of the cost you pay (except Takahashi who just charges absurd prices because they make the finest optics in the world). But it is possible to find a deal by buying a lesser known product. Just look through the eyepiece and compare the item to something you know and have with you, before you spend much money.

Keith Dickinson said:
All I would add would be don't buy a scope off e-bay. You don't know what you are getting. At least with dealers you have some rights if the goods are defective , on e-bay you've got none.
If you have a decent optics supplier anywhere near you go along they will have a used section for sure. You will be able to get a good scope for less if you go pre-owned.
I'm using a pre-owned Kowa 823 scope and it cost me less than £500 with a brand new 50x eyepiece, so it's worth investigating the used side of things.

lvn600 said:
Has anyone ever tried an Alpen Scope?They offer nitrogen purged waterproof scopes with multicoated lenses and a lifetime warranty at riduculously low prices.-Too good to be true?

Larry, I will let you know in a week's time. Ebinoculars.com had the model 728 15-45x60 Alpen Scope for $102 US. The price went up just after I bought it about 6 weeks ago. I've had to wait for a new shipment to arrive but the FedEx tracking indicates it will be here in a few days.

I'll give a small write-up of it when it arrives but it is my first scope and I won't have any experience of other scopes to compare it to. Alpen scopes have received good reviews on the Archery Talk forum even though they use Bak 7 prisms.

Glenn

downunder said:
Larry, I will let you know in a week's time. Ebinoculars.com had the model 728 15-45x60 Alpen Scope for $102 US. The price went up just after I bought it about 6 weeks ago. I've had to wait for a new shipment to arrive but the FedEx tracking indicates it will be here in a few days.

I'll give a small write-up of it when it arrives but it is my first scope and I won't have any experience of other scopes to compare it to. Alpen scopes have received good reviews on the Archery Talk forum even though they use Bak 7 prisms.

Glenn
-o.k. thanks-

ksbird/foxranch said:
I paid $300 for my used Takahashi flourite scope (400mm) and it's better than any Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski or other totally integrated spotter that my friends have. Televue scopes are also excellent.

You are basically talking about astronomy scopes. No doubt about their optical qualities. However, they are definitely not everybody's bag when it comes to birding. Not waterproof, often reversed image, big and cumbersome.

Why astro scope designs are great value spotters

While it's true that some of the astro scopes are a bit too large to compare to totally integrated spotting scopes and none are waterproof, they all have upright images with correct right/left orientation using various erect image prisms. I do use a Nikon fully waterproof fieldscope when it is raining but since my view is restricted to about 20m maximum and rain spatter on my objective lens reduces quality further, the number of times I use it is limited. Televue scopes are notoriously heavy which is why I have a Takahashi flourite FC50. My Tak weighs 2 pounds with the erect image prism and eyepiece and is 18 inches long. In it's case it easily fits in my pack and it's lighter than the Nikon/Kowa/Fujinons by far.

But if I want to do shore viewing I have a 104mm/F12 zirconium oxide coated Bausch and Lomb Criterion 4000 spotting scope. Schmidt Cass spotters are basically closed systems and this one weighs 22 ounces with a graphite housing and aluminum eyepiece holder. It's as sharp as anything else I've seen except the Takahashi and easily stays sharp and clear to 150x-170x which helps allot when trying to get "close" to shore or marsh birds. It's also totally color-free because it is mostly a set of mirrors. It's all well and good to have a waterproof scope in case you drop it. I prefer a waterproof case that floats in case I drop the B&L spotter. The scope is super-light, sharp, color-free, and its Pelikan case is light and totally waterproof and floats.

On our ranch we have a seasonal frog pond. The Missouri River (300m width here) is about 2-3km from our ranch. Marsh and river birds love to come feast on the frogs (this May/June will be great). We have viewing blinds set up with comfortable chairs about 50m & 100m from the pond because the pond can vary greatly in size. You can easily see various birds down to 10cm in size with binoculars, and you can identify closely related species with spotters up to 60x. But you can read the color codes and sometimes some of the lettering on banding on many of the long legged birds if your scope will stay sharp to 150x-200x. Some intergrated scopes go out to 100x-120x but they aren't very sharp at that magnification.

I agree that if I'm birding in a place with iffy weather all the time, I'll take a waterproof scope (usually rubber armoured). But if that's the case I have many pairs of superb waterproof binoculars that are even handier to use. One thing people don't seem to mention about waterproof spotters is that dropping one will often damage a lens or scratch a coating on the objective lens. I've seen many quality spotters with dislodged eyepieces, so having a waterproof, plastic foam lined case would make real sense. If you have one of these cases then a Celestron C-5 is a great choice (with an erect image prism of course). Getting various 70-80 degree or long-eye-relief astronomical eyepieces is inexpensive and they are very light weight. Since my B&L4000 is only a 102mm aperture and the C-5 is 127mm, people in my groups tend to ask for "looks" through my friends' C-5s and not my smaller model. There really isn't a good way to make a truly high power, light weight, waterproof spotter. So while the Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Meopta, Nikon, Opticron (made by Vixen) waterproof spotters are very nice for viewing backyard feeders, and in really bad weather, they are really always comprimises.

Short tube refractors and Schmidt Cass scopes will usually allow for much greater sharp magnification and many are lighter in weight than integrated spotters. If the weather is really bad then rain spatter is the image-quality limiting factor. And trekking with a trippod heavy enough to properly support a waterproof high-power spotter is much more of a limiting factor than the scope iteself. We use Gitzo graphite tripods and even these are heavier than the Schmidt Cass scopes in waterproof cases.

For short distances, binoculars are better. And if you are trekking a scope to some far-away place to use after it may get wet, then a waterproof case of nearly form-fitting size, carrying a lightweight Schmidt Cass spotter will usually be more satisfying. The variety and quality of astronomical eyepieces (and their pricing) allow the birder to get tremendous enjoyment for their money. 25 years ago when I began serious birding and astronomy, there were allot of limitations in anything except military or boating binoculars. I bought the Spacemaster because of the eyepiece system but I also bought a Nikon Fieldscope 60mm because it was waterproof. Some Kowa, Fujinon and Zeiss spotters performed even better than the Nikon or Spacemaster but when waterproof cases became available at low prices, I got Schmidt Cass and short tube refractor spotters that easily outperformed the best integrated spotters.

Of course a Takahashi 90mm objective short tube flourite refractor costs $6,000, so it isn't for everyone. Even the Tak 60 or a Televue is many thousands of dollars (I dislike Televues because they are so heavy). But a lightweight Celestron C-5 is only $400 in the USA with great eyepieces and an erect image prism. In fact you can get a wide array of long eye relief eyepieces for $40-$50 each. With a 5.2mm long eye relief eyepiece from Vixen, on plains where it is hard to approach birds but the air is still, 240x is easily reachable.

I've always been surprised that people disregard lightweight short tube refractors or Schmidt Cass scopes for birding. Visitors to our ranch usually want to use the Nikon Fieldscopes or Spacemasters or Kowas and other integrated spotters when they start. But then when they find changing eyepieces difficult and the magnifications low, they realize that most spotters are just big monoculars. Since we have 30x80, 25x100 waterproof and 20x80 waterproof binoculars with various tripods, most people dump the spotters after an hour or two. then they can switch to hand-held binoculars if they sit in a forest blind to see wild turkeys, foxes or owls. If they watch the frog pond, feeders, berry trees or field birds (we keep 2 horses in a hillside one hectare pasture and birds pick out bugs the horses dislodge or sometimes they probe the droppings) visitors often prefer either the short tube refractors or Schmidt Cass scopes, which either allow for either high power, super-widefield views or great digiscoping.

I love some intergrated spotting scopes like the Diascope and Televid or even the new Meopta, but they are usually poor values for the money compared to astronomical based spotters. I don't even much care for the Maksutov style spotters from Questar, Celestron (especially the C90, the 3.5 etc), Meade and "The Chinese Maksutovs", because their color correction is just "average" unless they make a multiglass corrector lens. I have owned a 700mm Questar and an INTES Russian Maksutov spotter that were well corrected and could reach high magnification but the INTES Mak was very heavy (all steel eveything, and must have weighed 10 pounds) and Questars cost as much as our Takahashi (which is lighter weight and has a sharper image even though it is only a 400mm FL).

There are some new ultra-cheap Chinese 90mm integrated spotters that are incredible values at $150 delivered. A few are even waterproof for about $300. But these are more like super values for beginners and not super-high quality scopes for serious bird identification. We've had our ranch for 4 years now and it has such a wide spectrum of birds and foxes to view that it's a real test for optics. We have a creek and pond/marsh in a low valley, forests and hillsides with fruit trees and horses. We've put up a variety of squirrel-proof feeders around the ranch too. We're near a very large river, hundreds of hectares of open pastures and forests and we're on the migration flyways. There are even bald eagles that roost on the river but visit our ranch when they migrate each year. Less than 2 miles away is a large state wildlife preserve with a 10 hectare lake. We really test our optics in real life use here. We have no mountains or deserts nearby but our family went to the Mojave and the Rockies at Christmas and we loved digiscoping and birding.

Nothing I say is absolute, but in 25 years of enjoyable birding, we have found that we like mid-sized waterproof binoculars, high power binoculars and short tube refractors and Schmidt Cass spotting scopes on tripods best, and they cover all the possibilities better than any one integrated spotting scope. This is all for fun so the "most fun for the price" factor should be considered too. But just don't disregard light weight astronomical spotting scopes with waterproof cases to get great image quality, high magnification and easy digiscoping at a reasonable price.

Swissboy said:
You are basically talking about astronomy scopes. No doubt about their optical qualities. However, they are definitely not everybody's bag when it comes to birding. Not waterproof, often reversed image, big and cumbersome.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back