• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

Afternoon,

Having looked at the photos taken on 18th June, of the Spoonbills at Cley, on the Cleybirds website. A couple of them appear to be colour ringed. Has anybody submitted the combinations to see where they have come from ?

Would be interesting to know from whence they came and help the project that is studying them.

On a similar theme, over the end of May bank holiday, i noticed a couple of the Avocets at Titchwell were colour ringed and have submitted these through the EURING website . Will post the details on here when i get a reply.

Steve

Titchwell June 24th

Today's highlights

Ruff - 4 male son fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed

Paul

The Spoonbill that was at Titchwell when the Pratincole was present had colour rings on it. On its right leg there was a red ring on top of a yellow ring.

Now really is the last call for Buzzard records so please send them to me by PM or e-mail ASAP.
Thanks
Sim

Afternoon,

Having looked at the photos taken on 18th June, of the Spoonbills at Cley, on the Cleybirds website. A couple of them appear to be colour ringed. Has anybody submitted the combinations to see where they have come from ?

Would be interesting to know from whence they came and help the project that is studying them.

On a similar theme, over the end of May bank holiday, i noticed a couple of the Avocets at Titchwell were colour ringed and have submitted these through the EURING website . Will post the details on here when i get a reply.

Steve

Thanks for reporting the Avocets Steve, and hopefully you'll get something back shortly. They can be difficult to trace sometimes though...

As for the Spoonbills, they are both Dutch birds, one ringed in Vlieland in June 2006 and one ringed on Schiermonnikoog in June 2007. The first has been seen in Spain in winter 2007/08 and October 2008, and the latter has commuted between Devon, Kent, Norfolk, Netherlands, Norfolk, Suffolk, Norfolk, Devon, Cheshire, Suffolk, Norfolk! We mapped these movements a while ago, and they're here (as yet without the new Norfolk pin):
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...7368911438593662935.00046b9616da010af0071&z=6

These really show the value of colour ringing, so if anyone has seen a colour-ringed bird, don't assume someone else will have reported it. Its better to have multiple reports than none...

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

Wimbledon Wannabe.

More photos and videos on my website.

Attachments

• 250620091086.jpg
    250620091086.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 88
Titchwell June 25th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 6 males on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Eider - 7 offshore
Bittern - 1 mobbed by marsh harrier over reedbed

Paul

Sheringham Park - rapture, indeed ?

A pleasant walk this afternoon started with bamboozlement. Between the trees, a fairly large raptor was doing a vague display flight, soon drifting out of view. It was almost all very dark, an accipiter, larger than a Sparrowhawk (not a Goshawk), but a totally different shape. Racking my brains for a match, I came up with zilch. A call to RBA elicited no news about exotic escapes- although I had already 'gone through' the North American and Asian possibilities- and I could see no jesses. A puzzle, indeed.

As a counter to this, a Green Sandpiper called me back to reality, flying off from the pond by the Hall, which held several Black-tailed Skimmers. It was followed by a young Grey Heron.

The stiff climb up to the Gazebo produced none of the hoped-for Purple Hairstreaks- perhaps a little too early. However, a White Admiral was some compensation, as was an unusually co-operative hoverfly Volucella pellucens and a quick Red Admiral.

Attachments

• P1080786#002.jpg
    P1080786#002.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 46
  • P1080807#002.jpg
    P1080807#002.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 59
Norfolk Trip 22nd - 26th June

Hi All

Just had a few days in North Norfolk :t: If anyone is interested, I have compiled a trip report on my blog :eek!: Link below :eat:

Has someone left cage doors open ?

I learned today that another dark raptor has been seen- this time, over Salthouse Heath yesterday. From the description, it doesn't seem to be the same bird that I saw.

The observer is far more experienced and world-travelled than myself and, similarly, was left in bewilderment as to its ID.

Are there any more mystery raptors along the north coast ?

Titchwell June 27th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 7 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit - 70 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 143 on brackish marsh
Red crested pochard - female on grazing marsh pool
Wigeon - drake on grazing marsh pool
Little gull - 1st summer on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 seen several times in flight over the reedbed
Marsh harrier - 1st fledged youngster on the year seen this morning
Fulmar - 1 west over fresh marsh!

Paul

Saturday 27th June

Could not get out early this morning as I had sat up late watching MJ videos on the box.

Buxton Heath - 1 Woodlark, Yellowhammers, Silver Studded Blues and Keeled Skimmers.

Cley - Daukes Hide - 6.30pm A real surprise - no other birders here at all early on a Saturday evening when I first arrived!!! 2 Wood Sandpipers flew in briefly on Simmond's Scrape, also 1 Ruff there along with 3 dunlin, a Whimbrel calling and loads of other usual waders.

North Hide - Billy's Wash - 7.15pm - 8 Spoonbills altogether! and from the hide 2 Green Sandpipers, 2 Ruff, 3 Spotted Redshanks, 2 Little Ringed Plovers, 3 Ringed Plovers, 17 Shelduck flew west. Mist was rolling in - maybe will drop something in!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Mystery raptors(s) on north coast

John have you thought about a dark phase honey buzzard for your mystery raptor. They can look very goshawk like at times.

Yes, thanks.

That was one of the first considerations. Immediately discarded- tail far too short.

As I said to someone else, this was similar to when I saw my first Baza- it was completely different to any species I had previously seen. I'm NOT saying this was anything like a Baza !

Buxton Heath nightjars

If they happen to read this, thanks to Andy from Taverham & his mate(sorry, missed your name) who were very friendly to me & my young friend Stan on Friday night at Buxton heath, showing us where to stand for nightjars, and sharing tips with us.

Stan was thrilled to hear and see his first nightjars, and on our way back to the car park we saw a glow worm as well, which rounded off the evening nicely.

Rachel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back