• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF 65Eda with pentax 8-24 SMC Zoom? (1 Viewer)

Talusman

I'm considering this combo to get the convenience of zoom along with good optical performance and water resistance. Does anyone use this combo? Thoughts? Does the eyepiece fit in the scopes view-through case?

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum.

I have a PF-65 ED, the straight version. If I remember correctly, the case was a very tight fit with some of the shorter focal length XW eyepieces. I don't think it would zip closed with the SMC zoom. The angled version may be better, or worse.

The 8-24mm on the PF-65 EDA would give you 16x-49x rather than the 20x-60x that you would get from the XF zoom. But it would have better eye relief.

I used to be a defender of the SMC zoom, and it is very good optically. Once I started using the XW eyepieces the view through the zoom seems claustrophobic. I can't remember the last time I had the zoom on my scope.

Mike

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike, thanks and your name's familiar- probably from PA eBird reports. I'm from the Lehigh Valley. I currently have the XW14, and find myself wanting to be able to switch to ~40x often. I really don't need 70 degrees (I can't see the whole field easily without blackouts - even after fine-tuning the eyecup) so am thinking of the zoom as a good bet, would probably sell/trade the 14 if I went with the 8-24.

Another option would be to get a 10mm vixen or similar and swap eyepieces in the field (less convenient and not water resistant)

Interested if anyone has compared the sharpness/contrast between XW and zoom.

-Jeremy

Last edited:
Interested if anyone has compared the sharpness/contrast between XW and zoom.

-Jeremy

I have both and I have never used the zoom since getting the XW14. The zoom is sharp till about 25-30X but the fov is very narrow. Its also dimmer than the XW14. I also find the ER to be inadequate at mid zooms.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back