• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Pochards in Siruthavur, Near Chennai, Tamilnadu, (South) India (1 Viewer)

ajayr

Hi,

I was birding at the Siruthavur tank near Chennai in south India this Saturday (10-Dec-16) and I saw a flock of ~40 Common Pochards.

For the Common Pochard, I see that the southern part of India is generally out of range. Searching on this, I came across some observations near Chennai in the last 2 years and in other parts of South India rarely. I was curious if they were vagrants or if the recently they have started visiting south India as well?

Would really appreciate any information on this. Thanks.

Cheers
Ajay

Sorry, I don't have any info, but if they are increasing and/or spreading in India, that is good news; the species is in severe decline in western Europe.

Sorry, I don't have any info, but if they are increasing and/or spreading in India, that is good news; the species is in severe decline in western Europe.

Thanks very much for the response. I'm not sure if the numbers are increasing in India as I read there is a decline in the number of birds seen in North India too. Hence, wanted to know if it is the birds that usually visit North India have started flying down south (warmer than North) or if this is just a case of vagrancy. Should probably check with more people down here. Thanks again.

Cheers
Ajay

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back