• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron GS 82 ED Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

GaryS

Hi there!

I recently enquired re purchasing the Opticron HR 80 ED and was advised by the retailer to hold on a while as Opticron were bringing out a new scope very soon (as in post title), which was to be pitched against the likes of Swarovski and Zeiss. Has anyone got additional information?

Many thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

I doubt the GS ED will be pitched against Zeiss and Swaro.

They are also doing an ED version of the GS66 price is marginally below the HR's

pduxon said:
Hi Gary

I doubt the GS ED will be pitched against Zeiss and Swaro.

They are also doing an ED version of the GS66 price is marginally below the HR's

Thank you. Please explain what you mean by that? Is it you do not think Opticron would try and compete at the high end of the market or what? Do you have any knowledge of the release price/date and are you able to confirm that such a scope is due soon.

I am keen to purchase a scope soon but would not really like to pay the price of a Swaro. Do you have any recommendations for mid price scopes or is it worth saving for the top end? I do intend to do a lot of estuary/wetlands birdwatching.

Many thanks

Gary

GaryS said:
Thank you. Please explain what you mean by that? Is it you do not think Opticron would try and compete at the high end of the market or what? Do you have any knowledge of the release price/date and are you able to confirm that such a scope is due soon.

I am keen to purchase a scope soon but would not really like to pay the price of a Swaro. Do you have any recommendations for mid price scopes or is it worth saving for the top end? I do intend to do a lot of estuary/wetlands birdwatching.

Many thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

There is no mention of ED versions of the GS on the Opticron website BUT there is mention of an ED version of the GS665 in an advert in Birdwatch. Prices for the body were £499 which is similar to the HR66ED. I can't remember the date.

I think Opticron could compete with the best, it could be argued that the Opticron HR66ED compares well with the "big names" at 60mm - a bit heavy perhaps but a very fine scope. You will never get the kudos but....

As to recommendations. Well I like the Opticron HR66EED and the ES80ED. Warehouseexpress still have their offer on the Nikon ED78 which has been taken up by a few people on here
Angled Body - £449 plus choice of lens
Straight - £398 plus choice of lens
or combined with the 38x lens the angled is £549.

The scope isn't guaranteed waterproof nor is there a case easily available but still a very good buy.

Warehouseexpress also have the Nikon ED82 available for £699 + lens. This means you can get it a lens and a good tripod for the price of a Swaro or Zeiss.

They have the Kowa 613 (an ED scope) with scope, choice of fixed or zoom lens, case and tripod (not sure what one) for £500.

Oh and you can get the Zeiss 65 with 23w lens for £600 - the zoom offer is now sold out.

I think all of the above have merits to them. Always best to try but you'll struggle to try the Nikon ED78 and Kowa 613 all I can say is they've had a good press on BF

Last edited:
pduxon said:
Hi Gary

There is no mention of ED versions of the GS on the Opticron website BUT there is mention of an ED version of the GS665 in an advert in Birdwatch. Prices for the body were £499 which is similar to the HR66ED. I can't remember the date.

I think Opticron could compete with the best, it could be argued that the Opticron HR66ED compares well with the "big names" at 60mm - a bit heavy perhaps but a very fine scope. You will never get the kudos but....

As to recommendations. Well I like the Opticron HR66EED and the ES80ED. Warehouseexpress still have their offer on the ED78 which has been taken up by a few people on here
Angled Body - £449 plus choice of lens
Straight - £398 plus choice of lens
or combined with the 38x lens the angled is £549.

The scope isn't guaranteed waterproof nor is there a case easily available but still a very good buy.

Warehouseexpress also have the ED82 available for £699 + lens. This means you can get it a lens and a good tripod for the price of a Swaro or Zeiss.

They have the Kowa 613 (an ED scope) with scope, choice of fixed or zoom lens, case and tripod (not sure what one) for £500.

Oh and you can get the Zeiss 65 with 23w lens for £600 - the zoom offer is now sold out.

I think all of the above have merits to them. Always best to try but you'll struggle to try the Nikon ED78 and Kowa 613 all I can say is they've had a good press on BF

Many thanks Pete for the helpul reply. I will attempt to try these scopes asap.
On the larger scope front I have noticed that the Opticron HR 80 ED is being offered at special prices, which might indicate that a replacement is on the way - maybe the elusive ES 82 ED!

Thanks again and best wishes.

Gary

Hi Gary

according to an advert in Birdwatch the New GS665ED is available Feb 05. They don't mention a GS8815ED.

Price wise the RRP of the GS665ED is £50 less than the HR66ED.

Opticron change their range like the weather. They import good quality mid range scopes (from China, I believe) and some are undoubtedly excellent value; I doubt, however, that they will compete in terms of overall quality with manufacturers who use their own R&D to design their optics and factories to make and construct their glassware and kit. Zeiss, Nikon, Swarovski and (ailing...) Leica do.

scampo said:
Opticron change their range like the weather. They import good quality mid range scopes (from China, I believe) and some are undoubtedly excellent value; I doubt, however, that they will compete in terms of overall quality with manufacturers who use their own R&D to design their optics and factories to make and construct their glassware and kit. Zeiss, Nikon, Swarovski and (ailing...) Leica do.

Thanks Steve.

There you go - I thought Opticron was a Japanese manufacturer.

What in your view is the best large spotting scope - presumably one from Zeiss, Nikon or Swarovski?

Cheers

Gary

scampo said:

can't disagree with the first comment!! They really need to rationalise there range. Never understood the SD80 surely end ES66ED made more sense!!

Optically Steve I reckon the HR66ED is worth considering against the big names. I was interested that optically kabsetz rated the ES100 - even if the thing is too heavy!!

Build quality isn't as good but then the price is !!

Had a quick look through the GS range today and to be honest theres not much to write home about, even the 66ED was just ok, I went for the ES80 ED today, a little more money but opticaly miles ahead of the GS.

New Opticron GS 665 GA ED Fieldscope

My partner and I take delivery today of an Opticron GS 665 GA ED with SDL "super" zoom eyepiece which has been "designed to maximise the performance gains inherent in Opticron ED objective lens scopes at higher magnification, has superior cross-field definition at all magnifications coupled with exceptional viewing comfort" according to the sales blurb! Opticron claim this combination can perform with the very best! We shall be using the scope this weekend and will post an evaluation should anyone be interested.

Last edited:
Many of us will be keen to hear your experiences - in fact, you could post a review in the reviews section! Hope the weather holds up for a good weekend's bird watching! I bet you're mightily impressed.

Thanks Steve. Initial impressions after an afternoon at Nagshead RSPB reserve, and later at the lake near the Speech House in the Forest of Dean, are that the scope is a stunner! I will post a review in due course. Peregrines at Symonds Rock today!

Last edited:
David Pedder said:
Thanks Steve. Initial impressions after an afternoon at Nagshead RSPB reserve, and later at the lake near the Speech House in the Forest of Dean, are that the scope is a stunner! I will post a review in due course. Peregrines at Symonds Rock today!
You make me envious just reading of the places you can visit. For years when I first had a scope I never thought of it for woodland birding - but don't dismiss it for that. Pied flycatcher and redstart are two easy ones for you I should think - not for me! Have a great weekend - we've got sunshine here; let's hope it reaches Wales.

Last edited:
blythkeith said:
What's this Steve - you practicing your Geordie for your pending visit up here?

;)
I dooant need ta practice it lad...

When I was a bairn many years ago - does tha want to know - grandma - that’s mi mother - used to play bloody war when we used to come in on a night and we’d all been plodgin down in the bourn - that’s a stream which is down near the beck - all our clathes were up the eyes in clarts and mi ma used to say, “You canna ave any more money for any more ket this week!! So me and mi mates used to gan and clean pigeon crees out for the men who used to fly pigeons…

How's that, Keith?

(PS - we teach accent and dialect. That was one of my samples. It's my wife's favourite dialect / accent. Ever since "When the Boat Comes In" with James Bolan and co.)

David Pedder said:

Hi David

Great to hear you're enjoying your new scope- PLEASE send your review soon - do you reckon it can live with the likes of the Zeiss and Swaro compact scopes?

Happy birding

Cheers

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back