• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (1 Viewer)

Chris, you can have digital in P. I use it sometimes. My camera is always left in P with digital enabled and I only set it to something else if the need arise. I used auto once, didn't like it and not again. I like to have more control. I also tried "Bird" but don't use it as it's settings don't do it for me. I use my camera for bird pictures more than 90% of the time.

I tried again today and no digital zoom in 'P'.
I tied turning off continuous, follow focus & tracking - still no go.
Must be me ??

I tried again today and no digital zoom in 'P'.
I tied turning off continuous, follow focus & tracking - still no go.
Must be me ??

It will do it so you must have a setting that restricts it eg maybe Macro? Anyway Reset your settings to Default and set it up again. For birds Aperture Priority will give you faster speeds.
Neil

It will do it so you must have a setting that restricts it eg maybe Macro? Anyway Reset your settings to Default and set it up again. For birds Aperture Priority will give you faster speeds.
Neil

I tried macro, infinity & manual - turned off VR.
As you say a reset will be the sensible thing to do next.

Wait up !! .....found it - Zoom Memory won't allow digital zoom over 2000mm except in Auto mode.

Auto mode ignores Zoom Memory.

Any distances on the photos and Exif data on the shots?

Exif data for those shots is in Flickr. I don't know how to post that here. The seed-finch and woodcreeper were moderately close and very close respectively. I can't quite remember the seed-finch but the woodcreeper was no more than 20 feet. The others were somewhat distant but not further than 150 feet I think. The bat falcon was at 1400mm, the eagle 1800mm, and the snipe was full optical zoom 2000mm.

The thing about photography is knowing your equipment inside-out, a lot of practice-practice-practice.... eventually years of experience. Follow the masters and learn what and why they do it and then go back and try what they do. Knowing how to recognize ideal light conditions and when to expect it and make the best use of it. It is all things I read about but struggle to get it right. One thing I learned is don't try to go for the extremes the professionals are doing, first learn to crawl and then to walk.... I am still crawling but sometimes get it right and try to recognize why and how to do it again. Best is to be as close as possible to the bird at the right angle of the light and you are 80% there.

I tried macro, infinity & manual - turned off VR.
As you say a reset will be the sensible thing to do next.

Wait up !! .....found it - Zoom Memory won't allow digital zoom over 2000mm except in Auto mode.

Auto mode ignores Zoom Memory.

I just tried Digital Zoom in all Modes , including Macro and it works.
Neil.

Shot this one yesterday. The light played along nicely. A pro will see the light beforehand and compose the picture better, I just took the shot and hoped for the best. I should have lowered the shooting point the get more even background and aimed more to the right.

Attachments

• Golden Weaver.jpg
    Golden Weaver.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 325
Very first result

Hi fellow birders!

I have just got my P900 yesterday. I do not have any photos to share yet, but... This morning I took the camera out for a quick test while walking the dog. The very first bird I saw was a woodpecker up on a tree in front of our house. I could take only two shots before it flew away. When I checked them on my PC (well, they were definitely not keepers) the bird turned out to be a Syrian woodpecker (and not a great spotted woodpecker as I expected). I have never seen this species in this area before :) So, it is a very promising start.

WiFi and PC

Guys, can I connect to the P900 with a PC? A simple connection attempt did not succeed (P900 wifi turned on, PC WiFi adapter switched to Nikon. It tries to connect, but nothing happens). Or the WiFi connection is for mobile devices only?

Guys, can I connect to the P900 with a PC? A simple connection attempt did not succeed (P900 wifi turned on, PC WiFi adapter switched to Nikon. It tries to connect, but nothing happens). Or the WiFi connection is for mobile devices only?
I have checked the web and it seems there is no easy and/or cheap way to do this. Well, not a big deal, I just thought it could help in those cases where I wanted to copy a few pictures only.

LCD cover/magnifier

I've taken a punt and bought this one.

Well it arrived and doesn't fit - advert never said it did.
It will fit a Sony NEX.

I bought it as it looked like it would fit as it has the same offset tripod mount as the P900 but it's a bit short.
The hood is fine - it mounts to the frame with magnets, has a large eyepiece and a BIG eyecup.

I'll try the eyecup on my scopes.

Hi fellow birders!

I have just got my P900 yesterday. I do not have any photos to share yet, but... This morning I took the camera out for a quick test while walking the dog. The very first bird I saw was a woodpecker up on a tree in front of our house. I could take only two shots before it flew away. When I checked them on my PC (well, they were definitely not keepers) the bird turned out to be a Syrian woodpecker (and not a great spotted woodpecker as I expected). I have never seen this species in this area before :) So, it is a very promising start.

Press the FN button and select the 'L' option (possibly 'H') then next time a bird comes along just keep your finger on the shutter button and follow the bird.
I have mine set like that all the time (on 'L') as you can take a single shot (release the shutter button) or lots with the shutter button held down.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back