• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7d mk2 things to watch out for. (1 Viewer)

Katey jane photography

Camera owned since march 2015.

Know this camera better than most of my family.

Over all to get the best from the camera, if you having focus issues, maybe front or back focus then get it sent in, there seems to be a calibration issues and mine seems to wonder off every 10 months also.

It's well known in the shop at Colchester cameras, normally it is set up and works but needs to go back in after 10 months, so this time they kept it much longer and found that it seems to have a weak part that causes the camera to wonder off, they can't put their finger on the issues to report it to canon, if left it just gets to a point where i have to use it in manual focus.

Also sent in with the camera was the 100mm L macro, it needed calibrating to the camera and buy what a stunning job.

if you got auto focus issues and the way to test it is just by using the one shot not tracking and the camera is missing for no reason, get it sent in and state alignment of focus sensor and check mirror box.

lenses what are brilliant with the camera, canon 10-22mm, sigma 17-50 f2.8, 100mm L macro after calibration and the 100-400mm mk2, match made in heaven with those two.

http://www.kateyjanephotography.co.uk/

Had my 7D2 since 2014 and never had a problem with AF. I have done AFMA test with all my 'L' lenses and they all came back with zero adjustments needed apart from the 100mm L macro which I have set at +4. Although I have heard of many folks that have front or back focusing they have all set the AFMA themselves. What I cannot make out is why you do not do your Micro adjustments yourself!!! - if there are any needed you can set them yourself in the Camera (per lens). The advantage of doing it yourself is that you can determine the shooting distance (Canon suggest 50x focal length - but that may not suit everyones 'normal' shooting distance). Even the Canon adjustments may not be spot on for every shooting distance and focal lengths for zoom lenses.
If you still have issues after doing the AFMA yourself then by all means send it in for repair, sounds like yours could have been something more than just front or back focusing.
EDIT, remember to test separately with a converter if you use them as the AFMA needed can vary from the bare lens.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back