• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Again with the Canon A640 (1 Viewer)

Neil

The recent thead on the Canon G6 reminded me to put the A640 back on my modified adapter ( about 6 mm shorter than the Canon one ) and go out to the local park . I carry the A640 with me all the time for longer record shots as it's lens is longer than the 8400 and the Fuji F31fd and it's got more megs (see attached "against-the-light" spoonbill image ) for cropping.
Here are a couple of images from yesterday.
Looking at some camera-only images from the Nikon P5000 they look similar in quality to camera-only A640. I'd be interested in a side-by-side comparison of these two if anyone has both.Neil.
ps the Chinese Bulbul (middle) is un-cropped, just adj in CS2 and re-sized.

Attachments

• bf spoonbills.deep bay IMG_0355.jpg
    bf spoonbills.deep bay IMG_0355.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 161
  • chinese bulbul.adj  IMG_0176.jpg
    chinese bulbul.adj IMG_0176.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 196
  • japanese white-eye IMG_0296.jpg
    japanese white-eye IMG_0296.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 170
Hi Neil, out of curriosity, what distance were you from the Bulbul, reason for my interest is because, 1) I use the A640 as you well know, and 2) i have been experimenting with lowering the near focus distance of the scope, normally about 11-12 meters, have reduced this to 2.8 meters. Ernie

Hi Neil, out of curriosity, what distance were you from the Bulbul, reason for my interest is because, 1) I use the A640 as you well know, and 2) i have been experimenting with lowering the near focus distance of the scope, normally about 11-12 meters, have reduced this to 2.8 meters. Ernie

The distance was about 10 metres which is a bit too long for the smaller birds like White-eyes , sparrows and munias but not too bad for the bulbuls,starlings,doves and laughing-thrushes.
I like the idea of the 3 metre close focus as the STS80HD is 6 metres. Some of the birds were coming towards me and bathing in the water 2 metres away.
Neil

The distance was about 10 metres which is a bit too long for the smaller birds like White-eyes , sparrows and munias but not too bad for the bulbuls,starlings,doves and laughing-thrushes.
I like the idea of the 3 metre close focus as the STS80HD is 6 metres. Some of the birds were coming towards me and bathing in the water 2 metres away.
Neil

Neil I achieved this by using barrel extensions on the eyepiece.
The image was take at 4 meters, no cropping as is from camera,not the best result, but not bad concidering the harsh side light.I used the 40mm eyepiece camera at 17.3. Ernie

Attachments

• Willy 2.jpg
    Willy 2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 150
Neil, it doesn't alter the setup much at all, but what is does do is, it alters the overall focusing range, it brings the near focus down, but also brings down the long focusing as well. Thanks Paul, well we are still working on it. Ernie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back