• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetit watching (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
At the weekend, my husband installed a camera to monitor the visitors to one of our nest boxes. They have been going into this box for some while now, so they were a bit agitated by all the commotion caused by the installation. We were relieved to see that this had not caused them to look elsewhere, and we are rather pleased with the photgraphs that were taken this morning. Three of them are shown here. More can be seen via the web viewer on our website, by using playback.

Attachments

• 20040209080723m.jpg
    20040209080723m.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 134
  • 20040209083458m.jpg
    20040209083458m.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 20040209085449m.jpg
    20040209085449m.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 110
Very nice Elizabeth. I'd love to have a setup like that in my yard. Then again...... I'd love to have those birds in my yard too! It must be a thrill to watch something like that going on.

Elizabeth - Just visited your web site for the first time. Most impressed !! I've book marked and look forward to visiting through the season to see how "Fluffy" is getting on.

I was particularly interested in the technical information - I'm a bit late for this sesason, but I'd certainly be interested in setting up something for myself next year. I've book marked the Box Watch site in my partners' favourites - I thought it would give him a heads start on birthday present ideas ;)

Did it take long for the tits to move into the boxes after you had first installed them ??

It took very little time for the birds to investigate the boxes with cameras - but we'd had boxes in the same places for many years. However, in another thread the BTO's National Nestbox Week has been mentioned, and that starts on February 14th, (though I feel this would be better if it came earlier in the year).

Do you have many bluetits visiting your garden? If not, it would be an idea to start attracting them to the garden, and you could perhaps choose a good site to install a box now - then if it is successful, you could plan ahead for a camera in a box next year.

Hi Elizabeth.
I visited your site a few months ago and I think its brilliant how you detail everything going on in the 2 nest boxes. I have your website in my "favourites" and look forward this year to read along with the action as it happens. I have 2 nest boxes up in the garden and have seen the blue tits sniffing around both of them. I also would love to have a set-up like yours but is unlikely at the moment but for those of us that cant see inside the box your website is a great aid into knowing what goes on beyond the hole!! Thanks!!

pduxon said:
Nice pictures. Hope Fluffy comes back again. The site is very addictive.

Thanks Pete. We are becoming increasingly certain that Fluffy has returned - she is the only bird we have known to do a one-winged nesting wriggle!!

Nice pics Elizabeth, hope you have a good season.
will watch your web sight this year, no sign of blue tits near our nest boxes yet.
bert.

We've got loads of blue tits. great tits. coal tits and greenfinches. We've also got one nestbox and a hole in a tree which is usually inhabited by our resident robin. How much does it cost to get a camera set up, and are the images good quality ?

johnmerrittuk said:
We've got loads of blue tits. great tits. coal tits and greenfinches. We've also got one nestbox and a hole in a tree which is usually inhabited by our resident robin. How much does it cost to get a camera set up, and are the images good quality ?

Welcome to the forum, John. Have a look at our website to see what you think of the image quality, and you will find details of suppliers (and therefore prices)there too. Box 2 has a different lighting system now, so we think the colours will be better this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back