• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Hi Rob
what we are trying to achieve at Upton is not to a create closed shop BUT a place for all like minded (wildlife lovers) to visit and have an enjoyable experience.
Whilst feeling part of what to many is a warm and welcoming place you want to preserve that empathy and as many of us over the years have done, you also want to get involved to maximize its potential, both for your pleasure and to attract more wildlife. (thus the formation of todays WORK PARTIES).

20 years ago we started a permit scheme to minimize the disturbance caused by the local youth and dog walkers abusing the reserve and hides. Touch wood a problem seldom encountered today. Over the years this scheme lapsed for various reasons but presently the popularity of Upton is again increasing so we are hopefully able to encourage more people to become members of the Wocestershire Trust.

My answer to your question is why not join your local Trust Lancashire or Cheshire and wherever you are you can visit any local trust reserve.

All wildlife Trust members are more than welcome at Upton Warren

cheers John

hey,i dont cause disturbance i like watching the stuff there;):t::-O

MB

I have just returned from a weeks holiday and it appears that a lively debate has ensued.
Having been birding at upton for 32 years I have seen massive changes during that time.
Over the next few weeks I ( hopefully with the help of wheatearlp) will try and explain some of the History of the reserve which may help explain some of the recent developements there.
It is quite obvious that there are many new members joining the trust within the last 4 years or so. So the information will help them appreciate how the reserve has evolved into a prime birding site. And how much of this work was organised and carried out by volunteers independently of any Trust involvement although the Trust always oversaw everything.cheers John
ps I will try and put my take on all the posts over the last week in chronological order

Why not just recommend WWT members or non members purchase 'The Birds Of Upton Warren', Celebrating 40 years as a Worcestershire Wildlife Trust reserve 1968-2008. There just done it for you, John!
I find your comments highlighted very patronising, I do not know what yourself and Wheatearlp are aiming to achieve with all of the recent posts. I get the feeling the matter is more 'in house' at Upton and should be dealt with there and not on a forum. Perhaps a newsletter to members from the WWT would be a better idea and reach more members than there are here on BF.

I admire the work done by the working parties at Upton Warren as I do at other reserves that I visit as I am a member of other organisations besides Worcs WT! Local council reserve wardens/volounteeers are to be applauded too for their work in managing some great local reserves.

Last edited:
Why not just recommend WWT members or non members purchase 'The Birds Of Upton Warren', Celebrating 40 years as a Worcestershire Wildlife Trust reserve 1968-2008. There just done it for you, John!

and it is a very good book too might i add :t:
well worth the money;)
MB

I find your comments highlighted very patronising, I do not know what yourself and Wheatearlp are aiming to achieve with all of the recent posts. I get the feeling the matter is more 'in house' at Upton and should be dealt with there and not on a forum. Perhaps a newsletter to members from the WWT would be a better idea and reach more members than there are here on BF.

I'm puzzled by this, as I've said before I don't see why this thread about UW should not be a general discussion of all the issues surrounding what is becoming an increasingly popular reserve with Birdforum members. I for one am very happy to hear John's informed views and can't understand how I might be being patronised. WWT members do get a newsletter which, from time to time, has updates on UW. Presumably John is hoping to:

a) reach those people who are BF members but not Trust members,
b) provide more detail for trust members with a specific interest in UW

I admire the work done by the working parties at Upton Warren as I do at other reserves that I visit as I am a member of other organisations besides Worcs WT! Local council reserve wardens/volounteeers are to be applauded too for their work in managing some great local reserves.

I don't understand your point Pam (whilst I agree with the sentiments I feel that you expect something to be read between the lines)

... although perhaps I've hit the nail on the head - I'm too slow and probably need patronising! ;)

wouldent it be better just to put everything about upton warren on this fourum eg bird sightings,work parties,price changes,even if most of the people who come on this fourum are WWT members(thats worcester wildlife trust for anybody that doesent know,not wildfowl and wetlands trust)there are bound to be a few that arnt,i like to hear whats happening at upton and whats been done to improve it,whether its putting the prices up for more funding or putting in a new hide/or scrape.and anyway why are we having this argument when most of us dont have to pay for the permits anyway(because were in the WWT),but we do pay for the membership of WWT.
now i will not speek about this again:-O;)

Popped over to the Moors this afternoon in the gloom, though the sun made a couple of brief appearances. Saw the black tern, as it darted up and down in flight. Shame it favours the far side of the lake, as it made getting pics tricky. Didn't perch on the rail when I was there, but I wasn't there that long...

Also saw the bittern, as it flew to the reedbed near the gate (car park). No pics of that as it was too far off.

What's with the rabbits at the Moors? Seems to be a fair few that appear to be blind. Had one wandering around by my feet as I walked out of the Water Rail hide today. Didn't know I was there. I hope it's not Myxomatosis.

sorry about the late reply pete,im glad you saw this the bittern hasent been seen there for quite a bit,i havent yet saw it this winter:-C but im hoping to catch up with it soon(and get an identifiable photo):-O
MB

Popped over to the Moors again yesterday afternoon after getting out of work early. Apart from the grim conditions and how dark it was, got to see the juv black tern performing its aerial acrobatics which are wonderful to watch, but make photographing it a nightmare!

Also saw a couple of water rails (juv and adult) and the kingfisher (all from the Water Rail hide).

Got lovely views of a juv goldfinch making the most of the thistles outside the hide.

Sorry you feel that way Pam Just trying to inform people about Upton present and past - so hopefully in time they will have the same passion that I have for the place (and get involved).
Some people are interested in habitat creation and management and how a place functions and its direct effect on Birds and other wildlife.
Are you saying you're not intersested in the way upton has evolved what makes it 'tick' etc maybe its not your cup of tea BUT that doesn't mean no one else is interested. I am just trying to share my pleasure in how I and many others helped to create the Upton of today (30 years ago the place was totally different and by far less interesting)
I will continue to use this forum to inform people about all aspects of Upton Warren. (unless they say otherwise)
The Trust do not keep records of all work carried out or Birds seen and they will not spend precious resources solely on Upton. Thus I want to share all my knowledge of the place if people want it. (I am not looking for praise I just want to encourage more people to the work parties more people more work done)

For instance the first upton report (1984) was produced to fund the feeding station that was created by myself and Stuart Croft independently of the Trust, just in case you thought the Trust instegated it.
cheers John

Why not just recommend WWT members or non members purchase 'The Birds Of Upton Warren', Celebrating 40 years as a Worcestershire Wildlife Trust reserve 1968-2008.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any copies left available, or if there are it is only a few, which the Trust will have; I'll confirm this with Phil Andrews. There are of course the annual reports, there are still a few left for both 2007 & 2008.

As with Roger P, I'm not quite sure where patronising fits in? But perhaps I too am missing something in translation? As far as I can see John is just stating that a lot of work has gone into, and still goes into, making Upton the place it is now.

Without the work carried out over the last 20-odd years the Moors Pools would be a smaller and both surrounded by trees and therefore not as attractive to the range of waterfowl, gulls, terns and waders that they are now. The Flashes, because of its saline nature, would be fairly free of peripheral vegetation and would retain much of its attraction to passage birds. However the breeding birds would not fare so well as they do, or at least have done in recent years, if the islands had not been constructed and were not maintained each winter.

All of this I'm sure many people are aware of, but conversations with many visitors over the years have demonstrated that there are also many who are not aware that wetland habitats are transitory in nature and need work to maintain them in an optimum state.

Couple of shots of the juv black tern - more on my fotopic gallery.

Attachments

• IMG_7572.jpg
    IMG_7572.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_7571.jpg
    IMG_7571.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 139
Visited Upton this afternoon firstly at the Moors where the Tuesday work party team have now provided ideal viewing for any early jack snipe in front of the Lapwing hide. Nearly all the vegetated and main islands are now free of overgrown grass etc, so any passage waders should be easily seen. The posts there are regularly used by Kingfishers. The juv Black Tern was the main highlight and a small movement of Swift and Sand martins were the only visible migration.
At the Flashes the Sab's Gull came in at 7.44pm, also there were Black Tern , 7 Common Tern, 1500 BHG's. Waders were a bit thin on the ground with 2 LRP and Ringed Plover, 7 Snipe, 4 Green and 1 Common Sand. and 20 Curlew.
I have opened the sluice to expose more mud as the water level was rising rapidly during the downpoor.
cheers John

Couple of shots of the juv black tern - more on my fotopic gallery.

Super images of the Black Tern, Pete! As you say not an easy bird to photograph! You did well! :t:

A great Kingfisher shot from you too, Emma! Wish I had been with you to see it!:t:

Why not just recommend WWT members or non members purchase 'The Birds Of Upton Warren', Celebrating 40 years as a Worcestershire Wildlife Trust reserve 1968-2008.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any copies left available, or if there are it is only a few, which the Trust will have; I'll confirm this with Phil Andrews. There are of course the annual reports, there are still a few left for both 2007 & 2008.

Hello,
I've only been able to go to Upton Warren quite recently since another birder started taking me, and that was after many of the copies of this report had been snapped up. Having not yet heard from Worcs Wildlife Trust about the availability of this publication, I'd be interested to know what you confirm. Thanks.

Matt

Had a quick visit to the Flashes at 08:30 this morning between jobs but the Sabines Gull had departed. Any ideas where it is going through the day - any tips or anything nearby?
On the Flashes I saw 2 Green sand, 1 Ringed plover and three Snipe. Also saw Blue tits eating Black berries which I have never seen before.

Also just of interest but not at Upton (sorry John) near Cutnall green (c.SO872679) I have seen what I believe is a White Crow on two occasions. I only think it is a Crow as I have only seen it whilst driving and when I stop it diaspears. Fairly interesting looking.

Gareth

hi gareth
nobody has found where the sabines is feeding which is a shame,recently it has been spending more time at upton,leaving later,ariving earlier which could sudgest it is feeding closer,but as some gull range up to 50 miles for food it could be some distance away.it tends to fly off north and i suppose most sites north of here have been checked.being a palagnic bird i assume it would be feeding at a reseviour or lake,and ive never heard of a sabines on a tip,could be something to do with how much time at sea,for all we know it could be feeding on the sea,it would explain why nobody has seen it on it daytime area!!
that gives us something to think about:-O;)

Had a quick visit to the Flashes at 08:30 this morning between jobs but the Sabines Gull had departed. Any ideas where it is going through the day - any tips or anything nearby?
On the Flashes I saw 2 Green sand, 1 Ringed plover and three Snipe. Also saw Blue tits eating Black berries which I have never seen before.
Gareth

Hi Gareth there are records of Sab's Gulls following the plough as Midland birder pointed out all the reservoirs and tips have been checked. Maybe worth finding ploughed fields? It tends to come in alone or with very few other BHG's. Whether that is because it has found a secret feeding area or it is bullied by BHG's and follows them in to roost we'll probably never know.
Cheers John

Hi Gareth there are records of Sab's Gulls following the plough as Midland birder pointed out all the reservoirs and tips have been checked. Maybe worth finding ploughed fields? It tends to come in alone or with very few other BHG's. Whether that is because it has found a secret feeding area or it is bullied by BHG's and follows them in to roost we'll probably never know.
Cheers John

when i first saw it on sat 22nd it came in with about 50+ BHG's but this is the only time it was watched flying in as it from then on was found on the edge of a BHG flock(something weird that it never goes into a BHG flock always on the edge,maybe your right about it gets bullied by BHG's)so maybe it comes in on its own when everybody is watching big flocks flying in
anybody know of any ploughed fields?
ive even checked the stourport baisins for it as it always flys off in a N/NW direction!!;)
now all i hope for from upton is some good waders,its funny,wader passage and the last 5 birds added to my upton list arnt waders but gulls,crakes and egrets:-O:t: but still all good
MB

i have posted 2 videos on youtube of the sabine if anybodys interested there under the name 'sabine's gull in worcester' and 'sabine's gull in worcester 2',great names arnt they:-O;)
MB
as usual the youtube videos have gone blurred check them out when on my blog for better quality.

now all i hope for from upton is some good waders,its funny,wader passage and the last 5 birds added to my upton list arnt waders but gulls,crakes and egrets:-O:t: but still all good
MB
Hi Craig over the years the habitat for waders in autumn at the Flashes as mostly been ideal. But we do get a bit disappointed when they never materialise. As you know there is a good list of waders seen over the years. Maybe the size of the flashes is a limiting factor. However there are a few waders that I would like to think could turn up at this time of year such as Yanks :- Lesser Yellowlegs , Long Billed Dowitcher, white rumped Sandpiper or a bairds sand. . Don't forget we have had a few Pectoral sandpipers and a Least Sandpiper and a couple of Wilson' Phalaropes. So we live in hope.
Cheers John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back