• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are We All Boring ? (1 Viewer)

Jeez......There's no hope for me then.
I'm a birdwatching gardener who supports Clyde (WHO?..Exactly:eek!:)
My 15 yr old daughter and her friends think I'm quite cool for a dad, apart from the birdwatching bit :eek!:
They think my music is cool (80s electronica) yet they think the "jurdie" carry on is a bit too far.
Maybe it's a young person thing to think birding is geeky, but then again the wife thinks the same.......her loss.;) But in saying that, anything "new" that appears in the garden is immediately announced with a fair bit of gusto, however this all changes when I dive for the camera, to, "for gods sake, you always have to go too far."

Her interests are, washing, ironing, checking the weather forecasts, (to see if she can get her washing out) and totally un-necessary painting. (Which gets right up my nose).
Why do some women have the need to continually re-decorate???

Yet we are the ones who are sad.............I don't think so.;)8-P

And I fully appreciate that not all wifes are the same;) Therefore all of you wonderful female birders out there are exempt of course, unless you are into decorating as well..;):-O

Now that is shocking to hear to be honest. I am Scottish myself (accent only) and have non-Scottish parents
My parents especially my mother always loved wildlife/birds and I am lucky in that repect to have parents who have directed my interest towards loving animals, and nature.

My mother used to paint wildlife, and made pottery ornaments of birds in the past as her hobby. Her age and eye sight have let her down now. She has lots of bird books I have inherited too.

It is simply a lot to do with your upbringing no matter what type of background you have. Background does not come into it at all IMHO - just who you know, and who you are.

Just luck and having people directing you towards liking Birds for whatever reason.

Hi John

Well said, and hats off too you.

My OH (from Yorkshire) loves birding, and he likes football/Rugby, cars, planes, and blokes stuff too. I have no objection to that all at, as we share our interest in birds and animals. We go birding together whenever we can. We talk birds a lot. Have a garden load of birds and we share all our sightings with each other. Now we are going out with other local birders, and adds more interest with other people.

It would be hard to be in a relationship where one person is a birder, and the other is not. I think that would be a lonely existence. Having no one close to share the same experience would be a disappointment. A person gets excited over a sighting. I do, and my OH does too.

Having a people close to us parents, friends or a partner makes birding a more enjoyable experience. Just like-minded people to share things with. I would hate to be isolated on my own with no-one to share things with.

I e-mail one of my wildlife friends anytime and we talk birding when we feel like it and e-mail each other lots of information 30 years later and we are still doing it.

So birding to me is not boring, and I am not boring - no-one on this Forum are boring. I say to everyone, be loud and be proud, about liking birds

Last edited:
I've noticed quite a change in the last 10-15 years in Ireland, don't know about other countries.

The current twenty- and thirty-somethings are, IMO, much more receptive to wildlife issues, birdwatching and intellectual pursuits generally than were my contemporaries.

Teenagers, no - but then they're teenagers and you can write most off for a few years as they get distracted by sex, drinking, music and peer groups. They'll be back.

Therefore all of you wonderful female birders out there are exempt of course, unless you are into decorating as well..;):-O

3:) I think you should be very grateful that you don't have to do it!;).....you wouldn't have so much time for birding.

Luckily i've never had a bad response when i've mentioned the bird watching to anyone. I think it's true that more people in the UK are getting more interested with the response to the RSPB garden survey especially. I see more and more gardens filled with feeders and a lot of shops having bigger supplies of bird food than ever before.

I was pretty shocked when I heard about the Travelodge survey. My parents used to take us on long walks all over when we were kids and my Dad taught us about everything we saw and if he didn't know we looked it up back home. He taught me a lot of the birds I recognise now. I'm very proud to say that i'm passing this info on to my daughter who at the age of 3 can easily recognise blackbirds, crows, starlings, blue tits, magpies, goldfinch, collard doves and a few others too.

Pam

I'm very proud to say that i'm passing this info on to my daughter who at the age of 3 can easily recognise blackbirds, crows, starlings, blue tits, magpies, goldfinch, collard doves and a few others too.

Pam

That's very good for a three year old! You must be a good teacher, well done Pam (and well done to your littl'un too of course)! :t:

"A fifth of those surveyed could not identify a hare, with one in 10 adults identifying the long-eared animal as a deer." LOL !! Does seem a little unlikely though … I don't suppose their survery group could have had English as a second language and simply not known the words?

Her interests are, washing, ironing, checking the weather forecasts, (to see if she can get her washing out) and totally un-necessary painting. (Which gets right up my nose).
Why do some women have the need to continually re-decorate???..........Therefore all of you wonderful female birders out there are exempt of course, unless you are into decorating as well..;):-O

:-O I've been in my current flat since September 2006 and am only now thinking of slapping a bit of cream or magnolia emulsion on the walls to freshen the place up :king: BUT as it's coming up to peak migration time I think it'll have to wait until later in the year ;)
My own mother (and mother-in-law, come to think of it!) redecorate twice a year!!! :eek!: Never quite understood exactly WHY? Perhaps it's because neither has a hobby of their own? :smoke:

My hubby Neil has just left to drive over to stay with his friend in the Lake District (to do some building work) until Friday and he was rather nervous about asking if I minded when he called into my workplace this morning after he finished nightshift as we had planned to go along to Wallington Hall tomorrow which is great for wildlife. I said ''yeah, get yourself away - I'll get myself out for the day to Hulne Park!'' It'll give me the chance to have a proper wak around the place (it's huge!!!) and pick up a few more birds and mammals for the year list ;) Plus, you never know, I may just catch up with the hawfinches and green woodpeckers too :t:

Lfe is too short to look at paint charts!!!! :-O

Finchey there are lots of birdwatchers in Northern Ireland. Some people are interested others are not. Some people are interested in the minuteae of football, others model planes, others are into scrambling on motorbikes, none of which interest me. Each to his own. Waxwings have been all over the place this winter but they are not in such high numbers every year.

Sure sounds boring, lame and dull - but other peoples hobbies seem lame to me too.
If everybody enjoyed the same thing, what would we have to talk about, our conversations and expressions would be filled with the phrase "yeh, i already know".

Originally Posted by Fozzybear

That's very good for a three year old! You must be a good teacher, well done Pam (and well done to your littl'un too of course)!

Thanks! She picks stuff up quick and has her own bird book already.:t:

Pam

You are all lucky.

In this part of the world the locals consider us as spies and reports
to the police who of course would check you out.They , having had this many times,
would send the complainants off and then later apologize to you and lets you leave.

This always breaks your birding day.

Ed

You are all lucky.

In this part of the world the locals consider us as spies and reports
to the police who of course would check you out.They , having had this many times,
would send the complainants off and then later apologize to you and lets you leave.

This always breaks your birding day.

Ed

In this part of the world Mikhred, we are sometimes considered perverts as we try to observe birds in around housing estates! Like when there's some waxwings in a berry tree outside someone's dwelling....if you're binoculars or scope are trained towards a 'tree/bush' with an 'open' window in the background.....it can make you feel a bit furtive...!

each to their own i think, i'm 24, football mad, i love dance music and i'm a bit of a party animal. Also i'm a very keen birder but when i mention this people look at me gone out as i dont look like a 'typical' birdwatcher!!! My wife has little digs at me every now and then but she enjoys the walks

House proud!

Now, that is excessive.....didn't reckon on Clydeboys wife being that excessively house proud.3:)

Oh she is...:eek!: her home is her life, and she takes great pride in it and looking after us all.:t: which is actually a good thing...but the decorating, oh dear....twice a year excessive!!......not even close;) try continious, and think of the forth bridge.3:)

Give her her due, she always starts the decorating, but needless to say it's not her who finishes it...:-C

When asked she will genuinely tell you that her hobbies are washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning and hounding me to death to either paint something or to have a shave.:eek!:

Anyway she's gone out shopping, So I'm off into the garden with my camera..3:). I might even empty the washing machine on my way past, but then again...........................3:)

Ian

'Are we all boring...?'

My knee-jerk reaction to this when I first saw the thread was "No, of course we're not", but being as we've managed to drag it out into its fourth page... maybe we are! ;)

Are we boring!

If you are obsessive about it in front of friends and family,
of course your boring!But sooner or later it rubs off!:eat:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back