• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID confirmation needed (Poland) (1 Viewer)

Thanks!

These young gulls were amazing - I could nearly touch them. Like pigeons in other cities.

I wonder if I get these right... Photos taken today, northern Poland. Thanks in advance.

1. (Red) Knot Calidris canutus ?
2. Redshanks ??
3. Sandwich Tern Sterna sandivicensis ?
4. Arctic Tern Sterna paradisea ?
5. Mallard - partially eclipse ??

Attachments

• _MG_1435.jpg
    _MG_1435.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 302
  • _MG_1555.jpg
    _MG_1555.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 277
  • _MG_1676.jpg
    _MG_1676.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 244
  • _MG_1737.jpg
    _MG_1737.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 316
  • _MG_1868.jpg
    _MG_1868.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 277
1. knot
2. greenshanks
3. sandwich tern
4. not sure but reminds me most of whiskered tern, could be a black tern though (2cy?). rounded, broad wings and strong bill makes me think it is whiskered but dark forewing and head pattern more black tern. probably a juvenile(?) black tern.
5. male mallard in eclipse

Last edited:
namq said:
Thanks!

These young gulls were amazing - I could nearly touch them. Like pigeons in other cities.

I wonder if I get these right... Photos taken today, northern Poland. Thanks in advance.

1. (Red) Knot Calidris canutus ?
2. Redshanks ??
3. Sandwich Tern Sterna sandivicensis ?
4. Arctic Tern Sterna paradisea ?
5. Mallard - partially eclipse ??

1 Curlew sandpipers
2 greenshanks
3 sandwich tern
4 tricky, but either an arctic or common tern. Probably a common on pale bill base and strong diffuse carpel bar and hint of darker trailing edge (?). Also more likely on breeding range?
5 mallard

Agree on Common tern for reasons mentioned by Frenchy. Blach tern unlikely on head pattern and bill size alone.
No white on wing, and jizz say´s Greenshank.

JanJ

Curlew sandpipers, greenshanks, sandwich tern, juv. common tern (dark secondaries), mallard.

serdecznosci,

Dear colleagues.. About the supposed GBBG on the former page :plumage of the upperparts is lacking quiet a lot of contrast though, Dont we need a bit more of that in a young GBBG..

Gerd

Last edited:
I considered the anchor shaped pattern on the outstanding feather as well but..is it conclusive.. I find other GBBGs lacking this pattern on their scapulars.
Moreover, I find the bird to have a fairly big bill but not so big as to be out of range of Herring(virtually) and again, I find many GBBGs with noticeably heavier bills (distintively)

Thanks for your link (I still am in ?? how to do that..) I am going to check this out

I m sorry not being specific enough , with the outstanding feaher, I meant those two that show well and hang over the tertials ( so not the one wich is on it s own in the air, that shows nothing much.)

On the other hand, I find anchor patterned scapulars on some Herring: they turn out to be highly variable (probably so the case for thousands of years)

Last edited:
Scapular pattern is never a conclusive thing on, in this case, large white-headed gulls, only indicative, or should I say, quite regular. It does however depend upon state and age of the feather (gull). Variation, like e.g in individual feathers whitin the same moult cycle is not a rare thing, as are feathers moulted at a different time in the season, that is to say feathers renewed early in autumn in 1st winters can look different from those renewed later in winter.
The scapulars you are talking about, hanging over the tertials I would call inner greater coverts and I agree that you don´t see much of the one "on it´s own in the air" but the one next to it shows more. Well, the point is that there´s a lot of variation, so the "whole picture" combination of characters has to be considered, as I´m sure you know, not to mention the difference in size between male and female, males being larger and heavier and with larger bills.

Compare these two and the pattern on, lets say some of the scapulars:

http://www.gull-research.org/gbbg/gbbg2cy/gbbg2cy40.htm

http://www.gull-research.org/gbbg/gbbg2cy/gbbg2cy43.htm

JanJ

Thank you all!

I can see longer beak now (Curlew Sandpiper). Is it the only difference seen in this (very poor) photo?

1. Black Tern Chlidonias niger (young) ?
2. ?
3. Lesser Whitethroat Sylvia curruca ?
4. Common Sandpiper Actitis hypoleucos ?
5. Little Tern Sternula albifrons (young)?

Ps. Is it OK I'm giving so many birds to identify? I'm trying to identify it myself but I'm not good at this yet. I'm making many photos a day and only a small percentage I'm not sure of. Thank you again for you IDs, it helps me a lot.

Attachments

• _MG_1738.jpg
    _MG_1738.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 145
  • _MG_2087.jpg
    _MG_2087.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 163
  • _MG_2121.jpg
    _MG_2121.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 135
  • _MG_2140.jpg
    _MG_2140.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 137
  • _MG_1858.jpg
    _MG_1858.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 120
The missing one has to be willow warbler. I still dont know who is who teaching the lesson: I find it all most enjoyable.
Put some more exclamation marks Namq:
Exclamation marks are these thingies:!!!!!

Last edited:
gerdwichers8 said:
The missing one has to be willow warbler. I still dont know who is who teaching the lesson: I find it all most enjoyable.
Put some more exclamation marks Namq

What do you mean? Sorry, I really don't understand.

1) Edit: I think it's good for C.niger
2)A Phyloscopus. Wood Warbler?? could be Willow as well but looks plump. Could even be a Spotted Fly.??
3)Whitethroat, female
4)Common Sand.
5)Little Tern seems ok IMO

Thanks for these namq excellenet for practising Juv. Tern plumages! :)

Dimitris

Last edited:
For what it is worth I was worried about the head and bill-shape in bird 5 of the original batch - my first thought was indeed a Hippo.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back