• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinches everywhere in the UK (1 Viewer)

basebot

Is it just me, or have goldfinch numbers soared recently? I live and work in West London and wherever I look, I see the little fellas. I know they are pretty common, but I hear their distinctive tinkling song virtually every time I leave the office [Teddington] or house [Ealing]. I happened to pause during a car journey through Bedfordshire yesterday, and the first sound I heard as I stepped out into a country lane just off the A1 was not a wood pigeon, sparrow or robin as you might expect, but another goldfinch.

I'm not complaining, but has anyone else found this? Or is it perhaps because I have only recently identified their song and therefore notice them a lot more?

John

I must agree that they seam to be everywhere.
I see them on guttering on terraced houses in the centre of Middlesbrough.

I also agree that they are a treat to see no matter how many times you see them.

Steve

Maybe it's linked to feeding. Taken 6 months of inactivity, but we now have goldfinches in our yard. And of course, when people in shops buy seed, surely the picture of such a gorgeous little fella may lead to them buying nyger seeds, thus increasing both the foodbases and chances of sightings around people?

I was reading in one of the birdings mags, recently, that it's thought the huge increase in nyger feeders is, in part, responsible for this upsurge.

Is it just me, or have goldfinch numbers soared recently? I live and work in West London and wherever I look, I see the little fellas. I know they are pretty common, but I hear their distinctive tinkling song virtually every time I leave the office [Teddington] or house [Ealing]. I happened to pause during a car journey through Bedfordshire yesterday, and the first sound I heard as I stepped out into a country lane just off the A1 was not a wood pigeon, sparrow or robin as you might expect, but another goldfinch.

I'm not complaining, but has anyone else found this? Or is it perhaps because I have only recently identified their song and therefore notice them a lot more?

John

I've noticed a distinct increase in sightings this year. Not just their usual haunts either.

CB

Same here as well, previously I would only see them locally on some farmland with thistles in their fields, but they're starting to appear regularly in the surrounding streets.

Can you send some this way please folks. I haven't seen any for months yet used to have quite a flock eating sunflower hearts, only one or two ate Nijer which I also have out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back