• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First roof prism bins - natureview v nature-trek (1 Viewer)

Frenchpolisher

I know there are quite a few threads on similar subjects, but I was wondering if anyone had any specific advice on which of these they'd go for? I'm specifically looking at bushnell natureview and hawke nature-trek, as I can get either for around £100.

Cheers
Martin

Bearing in mind that anything is an improvement over what I'm used too, I'm not too bothered about shelling out too much just yet (especially with three kids to buy pressies for this Xmas).

However if I can get something significantly better for a similar price I'd obviously be silly to ignore it. Delving a bit deeper I could get several PC roof prisms for up to about £150. I could get the Hawke's you mention for about £140. I have also found vortex diamondback's for around £150, opticron trailfinder II for £90 and Opticron Discovery WP PC for £120. Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers
m

Last edited:
Hi,

The Opticron trailfinder II 8x42 are good value, giving a bright, clear and relaxed image. They are Phase corrected, multicoated, BAK4 prisms and recommended by the 'Urban Birder'
The 8x42 is noticeably better than the 10x42 version.
For £90 excellent.

Steve

Hi Martin,

I was having a look at the Hawke Frontier ED (about £300) and a few others the other day and the dealer asked me what I thought of these:

http://www.ultraview-optics.co.uk/pages/8x42-DH.html

I hadn't heard of Kenko either, they are new to the UK at least, but they are a Japanese company, well established in the camera accessory market. The dealer said they were Japanese made but I have my doubts. To be honest I liked the view better than the Frontier ED. I thought the centerfield was sharper, and the contrast a little higher. There was a little more field curvature and the colour fringing well controlled... though not as good as the ED glass. I much preferred the faster focus. The down side was the build quality was a little shoddy and the center, lever operated diopter adjustment could be easily knocked. At least in terms of view, I thought they were one of the best roofs I've seen below £300, but that is probably a matter of taste. They are £159 here:

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Kenko_Ultraview_10x42_DH_Binoculars

Many binoculars at this price don't have phase correction as Tero noted.

It was overcast and a little misty when I tested them, and I want to go back on a better day for another look, and to try the other models. If you can get to try them, I think they are well worth considering.

Regards,

David

Vortex Diamondbacks are very good binoculars for the money. They are phase-coated. They have very wide fields of view and are very solidly constructed and are reasonably bright. They also have very good eye relief. They do have some softening at the edges of the view but overall they are quite good.

I have had the 7 x 36, 8 x 42, 9 x 36 and 8 x 28. The 8 x 42 is the best of the 4 IMO.

Stay away from the 8 x 28. It's eye cup design is too short for the eye relief, but will be OK if you wear glasses when you use them.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback8x42

Bob

Thanks for all of the feedback. I was quite close to ordering the diamondbacks today but I found a few other options. This really is a minefield! I found somewhere doing the old model bushnell Excursion for £109 and somewhere else doing the new ones for £159. Decisions decisions.

Does anyone know of any good bin stockists in central London? Would be good to try some out. I had been thinking of going for some 8x42 but I can get a better deal on 8x36. Would these be ok? I gather from what I've read that the FOV would be better on the 8x42s and they would be better at lower light levels.

Cheers
m

Hi Martin,

I've used these guys for mail order, but not called in at the shop.
http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/

Check for the "in stock" to see if they have what you want. I seems they have some Excursions. They might be open to a price match.

I believe the London Camera Exchange, can be worth checking out, but their web site doesn't seem particularly helpful.

David

I recently got some Hawke Nature-Trek 8x32 as a back up/more compact pair to my main bins - I tried various pairs around the £60 to £160 mark, all the offerings from all the main brands in that price range, and they came out best in my eyes - the Opticron Oregon LE WP 8x32 runs it close and is possibly slightly brighter, but the Hawkes suited my eyes better and gave me a more instant comfortable view with less glare.

Oddly the more expensive Hawkes were harder to use for me, and so I didn't get on with them, so I would say that trying them is a good idea as it is surprising how different they are to look through.

Optics wise the 2 models I mention are very good for the money though in my opinion.

Once again, thanks for all the advice. That article was a good read Jaysan. Been thinking about checking out LCE so will have to get off my arse and do something about it. Glad that you said you'd used microglobe david as i was looking on their earlier but wasn't sure about them as some of their deals seemed way below most other companies.

Anyway better get on and try some out and make a decision.

Cheers
m

One note. It's more than I wanted to spend but I have managed to find a pair of bushnell legend ultra HD in 8x36 for £199. For the reviews they've been getting this seems almost too good to turn down. However they are in camo!

Go for it. I think the 8x36 is a better fit for most people than 8x42. Dont let the camo bother you.

May have missed the boat. It appears they are now out of stock. I want to try a few pairs before I make a final decision.

I have read that some on here have purchased their bins mail order from the states and had them shipped to the UK. However most stockists I have tried will not ship to the UK. Is this purely an agreement with the manufacturers or is there a restriction of some sort at customs? I've found one US company that will ship to the UK, opticsplanet.com. Just don't want to order something if I'll end up shelling out because of problems and ending up with no bins.

Well that was a strange lunchtime! Walked to Holborn in London to find Microglobe and try out some bins. Several different sites showing up on map, so when I found the shop with lights off thought I'd got the wrong place saw lights on next door with bins in window and took it for granted I was in the right place. I wasn't.

I did however try out some really nice Minox of various models, cheapest was £199. Very bright and sharp. Had some problems with blackness, is this eye relief issue? Guy in shop told me that they are made by most of the talent that has left the Leica plant. They also told me that Microglobe do not pay import tax or something so their bins are not covered by manufacturer warrantee.

On leaving, I phoned Microglobe for directions. Was directed back to dark shop only to see bloke sitting in the darkness with his assistant. Very posh shop but full up with boxes, very little space to move.

Tried out both the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD in 8x42 and Bushnell Excursion (old model) 8x42. The Legends were nice and bright. Eye relief was good, liked the locking diopter. Was some drop off in focus towards edge of lens (is this normal in bins of this price range?).

The Excursion didn't seem quite as sharp, also had the drop off in focus towards edge. More blackness issues than with Legends but £90 difference in price.

Pity I couldn't try all bins side by side. The Minox were BV and BL, the latter way above my price range. Most impressed by the overall build of the Minox, although I found the diopter hard to use without the eyecups extended due to it's low profile. It seemed much sturdier that the one on the two Bushnells. Unfortunately, having been thrown by being in the wrong shop I forgot to check the edge of lens focus.

On the subject of the Ultra HD 8x36. Apparently these have never been in stock due to the fact that they are a new model. The man was a bit vague as to when they would be in, possibly January he said. This would be a bit late for me as I was hoping to take my new bins up to Barnes in three weeks time.

So, still no nearer to making a decision!

Last edited:
I have the Bushnell Nature views that you initially asked about, find them excellent. I have the 8x42's, wouldn't mind a set of 10x42's.

Biggest complaint is that the objective covers are appauling. Hope they have changed since I bought mine. Many others said the same, good binoculars, but why they suppled the type of cover they did was beyond sensibility. That was THE one complaint echoed by just about everyone.

I like them but I may have been fortunate. Bought mine ~5 years ago and got them from the US via binoculars.com.

Also have the H2O's and they are my everyday set.

Since you seem to be looking for something of value and useable through the years, the Monarch 8x36 might fit the bill. Shop around for prices, if you think the store charges too much. Not sharp on the edges, but a good compromise. And they should last. The Bushnell Ultras have better optics, but...

Googling AMazon UK, it had them for 210 pounds. Pentax has reliable SP pairs, maybe others.

The main problem one runs into is that for 200-300 pounds you start getting good reliable models, but the cheap ED glass is so new that the major brands, except Bushnell, have not picked up on it. Or they only have it in their top of the line models.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back