• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it normal for optics to fog up with age? (1 Viewer)

Steven Astley

2 of my inexpensive binoculars and one of my scopes, all less than 5 years old have a foggy image, lacking contrast. Is this normal can it be corrected?
I am sure its not just down to getting used to looking through more expensive optics.

One of you binocular experts must have an idea or some opinion? Its not fogged up like when you take them out of the cold like sancho is describing on another thread. Its just seems to me with age they have become misty.

No expert but this is not normal. And you have a situation of lightning striking 3 times. This seems strange. What models? How were they stored? Are they rated as waterproof? Is it possible that the fog is external? Can you share a photo? A shot through the objective at a light colored wall (but that a bit away to include the actual wall) is easy to do and could be telling.

Perhaps they just need to be cleaned.

Or perhaps they were improperly cleaned. This will lead to very fine scratches on your lens coatings and a foggy image. Do you give them a quick wipe with your shirt-tail when they are dusty?

Just cleaned the binoculars with a lens pen, they were filthy. They are only cheap leave them out next to windows dont usually use anything to clean them with as save my lens pen for my more expensive optics.
The scope is classed as waterproof nitrogen filled, it came undone and since then its image has gone foggy.
give the binoculars a try tomorrow

Last edited:
If it is internal fogging due to condensation, have a look at Steve´s advice about vacuums over on the other thread. Sounds good. If it´s dirt, careful how you clean ´em, lots of threads about that but it´s all fairly intuitive. Let us know how you get on.

yes need to see why its fogging, do you live in a humid area? is the foging on the external glass or inside in the prisms?

Tried the binoculars out today. After the clean they are better but still quite notably less contrasty than my more expensive pair which is to be expected.

The scope on the otherhand different matter. probably dirty internally, it was left in pieces for a long time. not that it matters as I dont use it.

Leaving them by the window has probably caused moisture to get in. They will pick up sunlight expand a bit, and then get cold and contract. Is it a window with a radiator underneath?

So I would suspect this as a cause.

To "fix" is really get say the objectives off, say these as they are often screwed on and then pass air through gently to carry off the excess moisture. Cannot do much after that except to possibly clean the objectives carefully and reassemble. The objectives, if they come off often have a fine thread so it can get crossed easily. So if you do go down this path take a lot of care at this stage.

Not sure about the eyepiece end, haven't had cause to rip that end of a set apart.

Are they worth finding a repair company that will do it?

I t is fairly normal, but storing in a dry cool place in an air tight bad will improve the situation greatly.

Steven, you could try looking at light thro' the wrong end of the scope. If your scope has already opened up and moisture has got in, there may be some fungal growth on the lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back