• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 7x30 B find (1 Viewer)

AGPank

I just found these on a local Craigslist. Seller was just a few blocks away. They are a completely rebuilt set! They were rebuilt and given a new 2013 serial number.

ac98d67d53cf86aaebfaf278a5ca100c.jpg

795635f63b944e0e299f57f032058029.jpg
ca20ceae9d06edc1b4931860189cf2a9.jpg

Do they have phase coatings? Most 7x30 SLCs did not have them. I understand that just before the 7x30 SLC was discontinued a few of them got phase coatings.

Bob

My understanding is that they were upgraded with swarobright prisms and coating current to 2013, which is why the new SN. I will reach out to SONA to find out more details.

If my memory is correct when Steve Moore inquired about refurbishing his old 7x30 SLC he asked if phase coated prisms could be put in it and he was advised that it was not possible. He had it refurbished anyway and I believe it was returned to him with a new Serial Number. It was discussed here on the forum in some detail but, as I said above, "if my memory is correct." :brains:

I gave my 8x30 SLC to my son and (again), if my memory is correct, I think the 8x30 SLCs were discontinued in 2012. I could look it up in the manual I got with it but my son has it. I specifically purchased it because I knew it had been discontinued and the one I got was from the last year it was made.

In their early years neither the 7x30 SLC nor the 8x30 SLC had phase coated prisms. After the 7x30 was discontinued a new version of the 8x30 was brought out with phase coated prisms.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob here is my old Swarovski non phase-coated 7x30 SLC

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=243564&d=1266448505

Quite a bit different from the picture AG shows. SONA said they could not up grade mine to phase-coated and if I remember right they said if it had been the 8x30 SLC they could.

Had it been a non-phase coated 8x30 they wouldn't have been upgraded either. That's because the non-phase coated Mk 1 7x30 and 8x30 SLC models were not waterproof. Either would have had to be upgraded to the waterproof Mk 2 body with optical glass plate in front of the objective. However, waterproof Mk 2 models were upgraded, as mine were eventually to a Mk IV (at no charge).

Ed

In their early years neither the 7x30 SLC nor the 8x30 SLC had phase coated prisms. After the 7x30 was discontinued a new version of the 8x30 was brought out with phase coated prisms.

Bob

Bob,

Both 7x and 8x30 SLCs were issued with Mk 2 waterproof bodies in the early 1990s.

Later model 7x30 SLCs were sold at least until 2001.

Ed

Last edited:
Good find. Your model of 7x30 SLC will have Phase coating. The Mark II models came out in about 1990 and were waterproof and had phase coating. It just may not have Swarobright coatings on them ( unless they upgraded for you). The Swarobright coatings started to be applied to the 8x30 SLC's in 2003- which is when they called them Mark III; this was about (2) years after the last 7x30's were made.

Enjoy them.

My understanding is that they were upgraded with swarobright prisms and coating current to 2013, which is why the new SN. I will reach out to SONA to find out more details.

I mentioned in Post #4 above that I recently gave my 8x30SLC B to my son. He wears glasses and he likes the way it works when he uses it while wearing them.

It was manufactured in 2010, which is the last year that Swarovski made them. I bought it on 4/30/2011 because I knew they were discontinued and I wanted one. I later found out that I liked using my wife's 8x30 CL Companion better than the 8x30 SLC because its eyecups fit me better than the ones on the 8x30 SCL. I don't wear glasses. So I gave the 8x30 SLC to my son, telling him that it was a "classic" and to treat it like one.

If Swarovski has made more improvements on its lens coatings between 2010 and 2013 your binocular might have even better coatings than the 8x30SLCs that were last made in 2010. I don't know if Swarovski announces when it upgrades its coatings; it seems to be a big secret with all binocular manufacturers.

Bob

Last edited:
I sent an email to SONA, but I'm sure it will be several days before I hear back. I went back to the seller and he had the Repair list and emails he provided.

It reads to me that he sent in a Mark I and received a factory refurbished Mark IV. This includes waterproof construction, Swarobright prisms and Swaroclean coatings.
2fa7d7143911260f2de8b630f6a20a72.jpg
12a92aa32affa1e054bbf5870e242fb4.jpg
df63d96d802fe5330c43f44caf3f2659.jpg
3804b9a128ec7cc52808f6478e6615f0.jpg
290ffb9f6c74848ee5b176c223c1d757.jpg
c03f16e5b2e8c51cafd888c51e6d4e39.jpg
ce385f2bae9639e24fb093826470636a.jpg
fd6aca8c4463dd569b4f3ac9ad32bc0c.jpg

Reference post #11. In the 2nd paragraph of the 3rd link shown Swarovski, rather than call the work to be done "refurbishing," writes that "it is considered a rebuild" and "that you can confidently consider them brand new."

Last edited:
Right, see post #7. The owner paid $500 to have the non-waterproof Mk 1 upgraded to a Mk IV waterproof model. By contrast, my original Mk 2 (waterproof) binocular purchased in 1993 was upgraded to a Mk IV in 2011 for free.

The only reservations I have about the 7x30 SLC are it's relatively narrow FOV (378') and short eye relief (14.5mm). Other than that, it's a nice piece of equipment.

Ed

Right, see post #7. The owner paid $500 to have the non-waterproof Mk 1 upgraded to a Mk IV waterproof model. By contrast, my original Mk 2 (waterproof) binocular purchased in 1993 was upgraded to a Mk IV in 2011 for free.

The only reservations I have about the 7x30 SLC are it's relatively narrow FOV (378') and short eye relief (14.5mm). Other than that, it's a nice piece of equipment.

Ed

Agreed!

And it is also a unique way of getting a quality 7x32 binocular! Maybe the only way!:t:

Bob

Thanks for all the input and interest. Nothing like a new pair of binoculars to peak you interest again. I done some time behind them in the yard and nearby park over the weekend and they still perform like a today's top of the line binocular.

I have too many pair, not sure if I will keep these or not. This is my comparison list. Trinovid 10x42 (2015), SLC HD (2013) 8x42, Cabelas Instinct / Meopta 8x32 (wife's pair).

5174b334e52d602cc2770e96dacfe459.jpg

Overall aesthetics I rate it at 2 behind the Trinovid. Then SLC and Meopta. I don't know why Swarovski abandoned the black armor.

The size is longer than the Meopta almost a midway between the 42mm pairs. I like the size, it's comfortable for one hand use and at 7x I don't pick up the shakiness like the 10x.

Overall ergonomics I rate it just behind the 42mms. I have large hands and the full size feels better. In the past I the full size Meostar that felt great in the hands, but this smaller size is better suited for smaller hands. The eye cups have adequate eye relief for me (non eyeglass wearer), but not the adjustments of the others.

The focus wheel will take some getting used with the lower location. It does operate very smoothly. The best focus wheel is the Trinovid which is silkly smooth. The Meostar is second, just more firm. The SLC HD is smooth, but inconsistent tension in both directions.

Optically it's very good too. Like stated in an earlier post the FOV is less than I expected. It is between the 10x, but lower than either 8. In daylight it's as good as any of them. Great resolution of detail in the shadows. It handled glare well when looking at objects with the setting sun behind. I picked up little CA at the edges, but much better performance than I expected.

It really was an impulse buy, not sure what I will do with them. The problem is it would be hard to replace them for what I could sell them for 😉.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back