• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC 7X42 question (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Good evening,

Does anybody know if there is a difference in the weight of the "pre-neu" and "neu" 7x42's and if so, whether or not this is as a result of the different armour between the two?

My green "pre-neu" are looking a bit tatty these days and I was planning on sending them for a service after my next trip. Would they be able to substitute for the newer armour on request? I am planning on sending them in myself, but I am unsure if best to go via an authorized dealer (Cley Spy) to ensure they can be tracked.

Cheers in advance for any assistance.

I own a pre-Neu 10x42 SLC, which has Swarobright prism coatings. I was told by Swaro that it is identical to the 10x42 SLC Neu that was issued a year after I bought mine, except for the armoring. I checked it out and this seemed to be the case.

My dealings with Swarovski suggest that what they will do depends on what parts are available. They might use the old type armoring or elect to upgrade, which is also true of the inside bits.

In the US I would only ship to SONA direct, not through a dealer.

Ed

Last edited:
If you speak to Swarovski Optik in Salfords by phone first you may be able to mail them the bin tracked. Thereafter the mailing is their responsibility to Austria and back to you.

My 7x42 SLC New (The one with the black center hinge section) weighs 950 grams or 33.5 ounces. It was made in 2006.

Bob

Thanks for the replies guys. I had it in mind that the neu version was a little lighter than the swarobright version - apparently not. I may contact Swarovski directly with regards to the availability of the armouring and whether or not to have this this changed would cost a lot of money. I'd prefer it to be superficial rather than messing with the optics - I can't fault mine and they are as good as the day I bought them. Could anybody comment on whether the thumb recess on the neu model is as deep as on the older pairs?

I bought a 7x42 SLC last year. It was originally manufactured in 1997, but the seller had it serviced by SONA before the sale so it got a new DA85.... serial number. I don't know what was the original armor color, but mine now have a brand new all black armor. So it you care about keeping your armor green, I'd recommend that you contact Swaro first to make sure it is available. Otherwise, you might get it back with black armor.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back