• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen ED HR Foresta Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

I'd not noticed these before.

I presume now Made in China (rather than Japan) using one of the "other" Chinese open-bridge enclosures.

Quite lightweight. OK close focus distance (around 3m/10 feet). Good FOV. Except the 10x50.

In the $300+ range.

Diopter setting must be on the center control with a pop-up focuser knob. It's not described in the link.

The distinction with the other Chinese ED bins is that these come in 8x32 and 10x32.

The look a bit like the (now EoLed) open-bridge Bushnell Elite.

http://www.vixenoptics.com/binoculars/HRforesta.html

Model Description
Real FOV
Field at 1000m
Exit Pupil
Near Focus
Weight

14511 Foresta 8x32 DCF
8.0°
140m
4mm
3.0m
19.75 oz

14512 Foresta 10x32 DCF
6.5°
114m
3.2mm
3.0m
19.75 oz

14513 Foresta 8x42 DCF
7.4°
129m
5.3mm
3.0m
23.10 oz

14515 Foresta 10x42 DCF
6.5°
115m
4.2mm
3.0m
23.10 oz

14516 Foresta 10x50 DCF
5.3°
93m
5.0mm
4.0m
26.80 oz

Kevin:

These also look much like the US version Nikon EDG. I do remember you mentioned
you purchased the 8x32 EDG, and could you tell us how you like them? Maybe a review?

Jerry

Kevin....These vixen binoculars can differ to Chinese ED binos,not only in the country of origin,that I think is actually Japan,but also ,because I dont think they are using ED glass either. .specifications only mention High Definition Prisms...the use of ED glass is not mentioned..So I dont think they Are ED nor Chinese,...unlike the "others"

The new Foresta Porros(made in Japan ,and I actually think i read that the Roofs are too)waterproof are also very interesting..specially the 8x32 with the long eye relief and wide field of view..The older foresta porro line only had 42 mm models,I think only 8x and 10x,they used a Swift Audubon 820 style body,and Optically were not all that great..decent center resolution,but a bit too blurry towards the edge,with not such a great sweet spot..but this new one needs to be tested!!!...they also have a low price porro line ,the Ascot,with another 8x32 that reminds me of the Celestron uLTIMA DX,but maybe i am only thinking this because Vixen made the Original Ultimas for Celestron,and also sold them with the Vixen Brand....

Kevin....These vixen binoculars can differ to Chinese ED binos,not only in the country of origin,that I think is actually Japan,but also ,because I dont think they are using ED glass either. .specifications only mention High Definition Prisms...the use of ED glass is not mentioned..So I dont think they Are ED nor Chinese,...unlike the "others"

I think I jumped the gun on ED.

Vixen haven't updated their main web site with spec details.

The most they've done is put up this news page

http://www.vixen.co.jp/English/info_new_e.htm

No mention of ED. Or place of manufacture.

Kevin:

These also look much like the US version Nikon EDG. I do remember you mentioned
you purchased the 8x32 EDG, and could you tell us how you like them? Maybe a review?

I though I wrote up some comments previously but perhaps I didn't ...

I do like them (great contrast, sharpness across the field and brightness) though I still use my Zeiss 8x32 FL a lot too (well and a lot of my other bins too). They are bigger and slightly heavier than I'd like but the strap is nice. And the old hard rainguard is noisy. I need to get a rubber version ... currently using a Zen Ray 7x36 rubber rainguard and it works great. And the objective covers fall off so I now remove them in the field.

The rebate D3000 camera came last Wednesday. About a month after sending in the rebate documents.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back