• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 versus SV 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Zzz-zzz, you can believe what you want. It matters none to me. Thing is, I'm here, you're no, and I "test" them every day. I have owned or used most high end glass so I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what my eyes see. The Toric is easily the best glass in this camp. You sound more like denco even post.

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on the denco comparison. The Toric sounds interesting as I'm still looking for a 10x.

I'm not saying everyone who looks through one will be wowed, but to automatically dismiss anything non-euro calls for the need to pull your head from hour asss.

Time will tell and like always ... the masses will vote with their wallets ... it matters very little what I think or what you think ... the average consumer is not naive, stupid or gullible the track record with regard to the hype of the Asian wonder glass speaks for itself.

Obviously the jury is still out on Toric!

The Leupold Golden Ring has long past been discontinued!

Last edited:
Time will tell and like always ... the masses will vote with their wallets ... it matters very little what I think or what you think ... the average consumer is not naive, stupid or gullible the track record with regard to the hype of the Asian wonder glass speaks for itself.

Obviously the jury is still out on Toric!

The Leupold Golden Ring has long past been discontinued!

Kowa Genesis, Conquest HD, Vortex Razor, Nikon EDG ... and now a new Nikon HG (still not enough reviews however about this one yet, but sure it will sell).
I would think these Japanese bins all sell pretty well and the jury is already out that they are all excellent.

Never tried a Loopy GR HD, but have only heard great reviews about the optics. Seems the only reason it didn't sell well was weight, size and color.
The view was not the problem as others already pointed out.

Last edited:
Kowa Genesis, Conquest HD, Vortex Razor, Nikon EDG ... and now a new Nikon HG (still not enough reviews however about this one yet, but sure it will sell).
I would think these Japanese bins all sell pretty well and the jury is already out that they are all excellent.

Never tried a Loopy GR HD, but have only heard great reviews about the optics. Seems the only reason it didn't sell well was weight, size and color.
The view was not the problem as others already pointed out.

We are talking about the Asian wonder glass clones from KAMAKURA KOKI CO. LTD and the OEM manufacturer s from China not Nikon, Zeiss or Kowa. I openly acknowledged that the Nikon EDG was an alpha class binocular, the Zeiss Conquest HD a very good 2nd tier offering and ditto for the Kowa Genesis.

Just don't try and piss down my back and tell me it's raining ... if the clone wonder glass was as good as the $2000 Alpha rest assured they would command that price ... you get what you for !

If the Leopold Golden Ring HD sells for $500 second hand ... then that is what it is ... a $500 binocular ... you get what you for !

If the Toric retails for $649 new ... then that is what it is ... a $649 binocular ... you get what you for !

If the Zen Ray ED4 retails $569 new ... then that is what it is ... a $569 binocular ... you get what you for !

Last edited:
We are talking about the Asian wonder glass clones from KAMAKURA KOKI CO. LTD and the no name OEM manufacturer s from China not Nikon, Zeiss or Kowa. I openly acknowledged that the Nikon EDG was an alpha class binocular, the Zeiss Conquest HD a very good 2nd tier offering and ditto for the Kowa Genesis. Just don't try and piss down my back and tell me it raining if the wonder glass was as good as the $2000 Alpha rest assured they would command that price you get what you for !

I was always under the impression that Conquest HD is a Kamakura binocular. I would assume Kowa Genesis is manufactured by Kowa in Japan. I am unsure about the mid-range Nikons like HG..not sure if they are made by an OEM or by Nikon.

We are talking about the Asian wonder glass clones from KAMAKURA KOKI CO. LTD and the OEM manufacturer s from China not Nikon, Zeiss or Kowa. I openly acknowledged that the Nikon EDG was an alpha class binocular, the Zeiss Conquest HD a very good 2nd tier offering and ditto for the Kowa Genesis.

Just don't try and piss down my back and tell me it's raining ... if the clone wonder glass was as good as the $2000 Alpha rest assured they would command that price ... you get what you for !

If the Leopold Golden Ring HD sells for $500 second hand ... then that is what it is ... a $500 binocular ... you get what you for !

If the Toric retails for $649 new ... then that is what it is ... a $649 binocular ... you get what you for !

If the Zen Ray ED4 retails $569 new ... then that is what it is ... a $569 binocular ... you get what you for !

You may see those types of claims on Amazon reviews and places like that.

But, I don't usually hear people say that mid-priced bins are equal to $2k binoculars...at least not here on this forum anyway.
What I hear is that they are 'close enough' and some people can't justify the extra cash for small improvements.
I own a 2k bin and think some of the bins close to or over 1k are close to top level. Not quite there, but certainly high quality.

I was always under the impression that Conquest HD is a Kamakura binocular. I would assume Kowa Genesis is manufactured by Kowa in Japan. I am unsure about the mid-range Nikons like HG..not sure if they are made by an OEM or by Nikon.

From Zeiss website

Made in Germany

A revolution in design, ergonomics and optics. The perfect “Made in Germany” all-rounder combines ZEISS quality with state-of-the-art technology. The specially formed handling surface and the large focusing wheel make them easy to operate. Plus, these binoculars represent outstanding value for money. CONQUEST HD is the uncompromising entry into the ZEISS premium class.

Uses schott glass!

Zeiss, Nikon and Kowa have their own manufacturing facilities everything is under their control QA is first rate.

From Zeiss website

Made in Germany

A revolution in design, ergonomics and optics. The perfect “Made in Germany” all-rounder combines ZEISS quality with state-of-the-art technology. The specially formed handling surface and the large focusing wheel make them easy to operate. Plus, these binoculars represent outstanding value for money. CONQUEST HD is the uncompromising entry into the ZEISS premium class.

Uses schott glass!

Zeiss, Nikon and Kowa have their own manufacturing facilities everything is under their control QA is first rate.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Conquest HD is Japanese made and I believe from Kamakura. It was designed in Germany and I believe it is assembled in Germany too, but it comes from Japan...essentially it is an Asian binocular.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Conquest HD is Japanese made and I believe from Kamakura. It was designed in Germany and I believe it is assembled in Germany too, but it comes from Japan...essentially it is an Asian binocular.

See attachment.

Attachments

• zeiss_10x42_conquest_hd_binoculars_1292175_2_og.jpg
    zeiss_10x42_conquest_hd_binoculars_1292175_2_og.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 240
See attachment.

'Made in Germany' on the binocular, but it has been exposed here on BF not too long after Conquest HD came out that it is mostly made in Japan and then shipped to Zeiss where they complete it. That's how they are allowed (by German law) to stamp "made in Germany" on the bin.
It's just common knowledge here at this point that it's mostly manufactured in Japan and also by Kamakura.

Just google "Zeiss Conquest HD + Kamakura" or "Zeiss Conquest HD + Kamakura + birdforum" to find it mentioned here.

Minox also says 'Made in Germany' on their bins, but they are only assembled there. They meet minimum requirements and are allowed to stamp "made in Germany" on the binoculars. There was a long thread about where bins are made here on BF quite a while back.

Zeiss FL, HT and SF are made in Germany.

ZZ-Top..

You have been busy posting recently about your dislike of some Asian
made binoculars.

I am not sure what to make of it, but this post of yours leads me to think
your posts are mostly just trolling for attention.

Not sure of your motive but be careful, this is a great site where we share
ideas in the world of optics.

Your use of the word "piss" really bothers me.

This is how I see you when posting.

Jerry

Attachments

• Troll image.jpg
    Troll image.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 194
ZZ-Top..

You have been busy posting recently about your dislike of some Asian
made binoculars.

I am not sure what to make of it, but this post of yours leads me to think
your posts are mostly just trolling for attention.

Not sure of your motive but be careful, this is a great site where we share
ideas in the world of optics.

Your use of the word "piss" really bothers me.

This is how I see you when posting.

Jerry

Asian clones too be specific.

Re the use of the word piss See video https://youtu.be/kfdpcrOgUp4

Last edited:
'Made in Germany' on the binocular, but it has been exposed here on BF not too long after Conquest HD came out that it is mostly made in Japan and then shipped to Zeiss where they complete it. That's how they are allowed (by German law) to stamp "made in Germany" on the bin.
It's just common knowledge here at this point that it's mostly manufactured in Japan and also by Kamakura.

Just google "Zeiss Conquest HD + Kamakura" or "Zeiss Conquest HD + Kamakura + birdforum" to find it mentioned here.

Minox also says 'Made in Germany' on their bins, but they are only assembled there. They meet minimum requirements and are allowed to stamp "made in Germany" on the binoculars. There was a long thread about where bins are made here on BF quite a while back.

Zeiss FL, HT and SF are made in Germany.

Not sure if that is true or factual.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=288745 see post #17

"I have an email from ZEISS Wetzlar stating unequivocably that the Conquest HD is made in Germany and I have no reason to doubt it."

Last edited:
Not sure if that is true or factual.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=288745 see post #17

"I have an email from ZEISS Wetzlar stating unequivocably that the Conquest HD is made in Germany and I have no reason to doubt it."

see post 24 in response to post 17. This goes back and forth in other threads, but it seems bottom line is that Japan is involved and I've read many times (not just on birdforum) that it is Kamakura who Zeiss worked with.

I'm sure others can chime in here to confirm.

see post 24 in response to post 17. This goes back and forth in other threads, but it seems bottom line is that Japan is involved and I've read many times (not just on birdforum) that it is Kamakura who Zeiss worked with.

I'm sure others can chime in here to confirm.

That's been the general thought. I don't really think there is any debate on that. Kamakura MADE them....where they are ASSEMBLED(Germany OR Japan) and to what EXTENT is anyone's guess.

I was on the allbinos web site; haven't been there for a while. I was reminded (8x32 class) that the Leupold Gold Ring HD is a top scoring binocular besting the Leica Ultravid HD, Swaro EL WB, Nikon HG, Nikon SE, Nikon EII, Zeiss Conquest HD, and Kowa Genesis....

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back