• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Papua New Guinea birding (1 Viewer)

Robert Campbell

Happy grampa
Fascinating place for a naturalist/birder. It is expensive to travel within the country and it can be dangerous.
The name "Rascal" is a label that is given to The criminal element within the country. Western definition of rascal implies a raffish, possibly likeable rogue. Not in PNG.
Tours are expensive but there is safety in numbers, and unless you have "Wantoks" (Tok Pisin (the lingua Franca)) or good friends who can show you around. Stick to groups.
There is a huge range of habitats from mangrove forests to high montane grasslands offering a great range of species, with many endemics, Birds of Paradise always spring to mind when people talk of PNG birds and there is no doubt they are quite spectacular; again found in all habitats.
I am referring to PNG as opposed to the Indonesian part of the island of Irian Jaya. Alas I am no twitcher. I don't keep lists. I did however keep records of birds ringed/banded and that is 306 species. That may be even more now as I believe taxonomists are splitting as more DNA comes to light.
If you have the money, time and an adventurous nature. Go for it. You'll love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back