• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 versus SV 8x32 (2 Viewers)

It took 9 pages and 208 posts to understand that Dennis was priming the pump for the expected dump?

Geez, how long have you guys [and girls] been at this?

I have to chuckle reading these threads, when long-time forum contributors get caught up in a heart-felt exchange with Dennis and his new bino. love, only to be owned like rubes in an alley game of three card monte.

Dennis's ass is officially laughing off, for the umpteenth time.......
Whoa! not quite James ..... you heard it first from downunder .... post#73
.....More importantly is it a keeper, or is this the famous pump and dump to make way for the rather nice looking Zeiss SF?....

Have we been pwned?
Yes we have.....
....Ugh...I waste too much time here...time for a break.

Don't chuck in the towel Beth, I for one enjoy your refreshing posts *thumbs* :girl: |:d|

...A little less hubris a little more meekness and these pages would be so much nicer |:d|

Hallelujah !!! o:) o:D

Don't know why Brucey has become Mr. CrankyPants all of a sudden (I think he's still running defense from his last thread! :)
Don't worry about being the next Dennis, just be the best bh46118 that you can ...... everybody else is already taken!

Misunderstandings are bound to occur when everybody has a different set of eyes in their head, and folks use language like "close" or a "lot" to describe differences. That's like asking an Eskimo if it is "colder" today than yesterday - by and large meaningless in terms of quantification. Everybody needs to take a chill pill (figuratively speaking of course :)

FWIW, I think the Zen-Rays, are "close" to the "Alpha's". Yes, the view is a few % nicer with the big dawgs (and I've kicked enough tyres to know), and it is noticeable - but damn it's close - even the reps acknowledge that (well apart from the Steiner XP guy whose pffft told me that he didn't think much in comparison - though he must have been! 3:) blind to the XP's slightly yellowish cast and noticeable brick like weight :)

That last few %, AND svelte weight, well ..... that costs (yeah, in things like 70-odd perfectly applied quarter lambda coatings, precision mechanisms, highest grade and specified glass components, and ultimately, slightly superior optical design) ,but ........

In a casual appraisal, I see no appreciable difference between a Zen-ED3 and the highly vaunted Zeiss Conquest HD.....

So, yeah, there's not a "lot" in it, and it's "closer" than you'd think! 8-P

BTW, liked :t: David's comment about: 'you'd think you wouldn't have to cherry-pick "Alpha's" for sharpness' .... for a couple of G, that's the least of the expectations ........ :cat:

Chosun :gh:

In a casual appraisal, I see no appreciable difference between a Zen-ED3 and the highly vaunted Zeiss Conquest HD.....

So, yeah, there's not a "lot" in it, and it's "closer" than you'd think! 8-P

BTW, liked :t: David's comment about: 'you'd think you wouldn't have to cherry-pick "Alpha's" for sharpness' .... for a couple of G, that's the least of the expectations ........ :cat:

Check out the prime HD's if you can. Impressive.

Check out the prime HD's if you can. Impressive.

Yes. Been there, done that (10x only).
Didn't get on with them too well - the CCW focuser drove me bananaz! and the ergo's weren't as good for me as the ED3. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Quality bin though, very saturated colours, and much better glare handling. A step up from the ED3. Brightness is within cooee of the "Alphas". I did notice a bit of a slight distortion ring in my sample - though sharp in the 10% central super sweet spot.

Certainly worth a try for those eyeglass wearers that need long ER, and to this day I still don't think there is a cheaper Flat Field offering.

Didn't get on with them too well - the CCW focuser drove me bananaz! and the ergo's weren't as good for me as the ED3. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Quality bin though, very saturated colours, and much better glare handling. A step up from the ED3. Brightness is within cooee of the "Alphas". I did notice a bit of a slight distortion ring in my sample - though sharp in the 10% central super sweet spot.

Certainly worth a try for those eyeglass wearers that need long ER, and to this day I still don't think there is a cheaper Flat Field offering.

Got cha, eye relief is a big bugaboo for me. With some of my eyeglasses 18 mm on a binocular is just barely doable. Thats one reason me and the conquest got along so well.

I think the fly in the ointment of Chinese optics is the consistency of their offerings. You may get one that matches the best, and the next one may struggle to reach it's price point.

The ergo's on the first Primes were strange to me. How are the latest reincarnation? On-axis as you say they are sharp.

"I think the fly in the ointment of Chinese optics is the consistency of their offerings. You may get one that matches the best, and the next one may struggle to reach it's price point."

Exactly. You have to cherry pick them to get a good one.

Wow, Dennis is the one selling the GR for $700+?! Wow! Good luck with that! I saw that and was stunned at the starting bid! I have Bryce's GR HD 8x32 and while I really appreciate it, I wouldn't buy it for $700! Dennis, I am not sure what to make of this new you!

BH, enjoy your Swaros, you have earned them. However, as much as some of us appreciate great glass, not everyone will pay the $2000 or more to have them. I could buy a pair tonight, but am not unhappy enough with the view I have to do so. Don't feel less than because I can't or won't. To each his own. There are those who disagree with your assessment of your Minox porros which you clearly appreciate.

Steve C has vast experience with just about every brand & format out there. Give him the respect he deserves. I have spent hours reading through the vast amounts of threads in this subforum. If he says a bin is good,great or bad - trust his word.

Annabeth, I agree with what you said regarding how most birders/naturalists view binoculars. I actually said the same thing in a thread on this subforum, several years ago, and had my behind verbally handed right back to me! I know because I have actually taken the time to have that conversation with as many as I can. If they have different bins than mine, I ask to look through them. I offer to let them look through mine. Many think spending $300 is enough. Some will spend more. What I have found is that not everyone has an alpha because they genuinely think they get a better visual. Many have the alphas because they are supposed to be the best and of course that is what they have to have. They would never consider anything else. Then you have everyone else,which varies from the $100 bins because that is what they can afford or they have never tried anything else to the $300-600 range of birders, who have taken some time and figured out that there is better glass & they are totally happy. They don't want the more expensive and don't feel they have lost out. They also don't feel the need to have more than one pair. Then there are the the optic nuts who have a wide range of formats, are always looking for what else is out there. I have also been chewed out by a couple of female birders because they didn't think I should have more than one pair of bins. Like it was any of their business????

To go back to the original topic, the GR's are good glass. They are heavy, but it doesn't bother me. My Pentax 10x50's are heavy. I could care less about the color, unless it is garish. No pink camo. Ick. Or white or orange! They are definitely quality glass and I have taken them out with the Meoptas and the Conquest HDs. I had long wished for the Meoptas and was so very disappointed in the focuser. The view didn't blow me away in comparison. I did love the Conquests and found them easier to look through - I wear glasses. The view was amazing as well. That said, I don't feel shorted by the GRs. I REALLY want the Conquests, but when I look through the GRs, I can't really justify spending $900. I have used the Swaro EL's and for a long time, lusted after them. I don't any more.

Sancho was right, they are just tubes, with glass, that you look through. Tubes that we enjoy debating over, researching, trying out and maybe purchasing. The GR's are really good tubes to look through!

Last edited:
By the way, SWFA is about 30 minute drive for me. While I was admiring some bins they had, I let them assess my GR's out of curiosity. They offered me $400. Of course, they would sell them for a bit more. NOT $749 though. That being said, I think the used prices for the top 3 alphas are ridiculous.

Thanks Arthur! I actually want the 10x42's. Usually the used price or demo price isn't much below brand new, so if that is the case, I may as well buy new. I have purchased from them before, they are good people.

That's the biggest reason I felt comfortable buying a new Swarovski. You get to enjoy the view, then if for whatever reason you decide to sell them, they move fast and you get a large chunk of your money back. I don't totally understand it, but all you have to do to see it in action is watch eBay. I'm sure the warranty reputation doesn't hurt anything either.

That being said, I think the used prices for the top 3 alphas are ridiculous.

Mr. CrankyPants, I like that. In my mind I can here your accent while you say the word. |;| As always, your posts have a serenity about them, a calming effect if you will.
"Mr CrankyPants" Funny! I like that. I have a neighbor that just fits that description. The other day he came over and said I was blowing leaves on his side of the yard.

Wow, Dennis is the one selling the GR for $700+?! Wow! Good luck with that! I saw that and was stunned at the starting bid! I have Bryce's GR HD 8x32 and while I really appreciate it, I wouldn't buy it for $700! Dennis, I am not sure what to make of this new you!

BH, enjoy your Swaros, you have earned them. However, as much as some of us appreciate great glass, not everyone will pay the $2000 or more to have them. I could buy a pair tonight, but am not unhappy enough with the view I have to do so. Don't feel less than because I can't or won't. To each his own. There are those who disagree with your assessment of your Minox porros which you clearly appreciate.

Steve C has vast experience with just about every brand & format out there. Give him the respect he deserves. I have spent hours reading through the vast amounts of threads in this subforum. If he says a bin is good,great or bad - trust his word.

Annabeth, I agree with what you said regarding how most birders/naturalists view binoculars. I actually said the same thing in a thread on this subforum, several years ago, and had my behind verbally handed right back to me! I know because I have actually taken the time to have that conversation with as many as I can. If they have different bins than mine, I ask to look through them. I offer to let them look through mine. Many think spending $300 is enough. Some will spend more. What I have found is that not everyone has an alpha because they genuinely think they get a better visual. Many have the alphas because they are supposed to be the best and of course that is what they have to have. They would never consider anything else. Then you have everyone else,which varies from the $100 bins because that is what they can afford or they have never tried anything else to the $300-600 range of birders, who have taken some time and figured out that there is better glass & they are totally happy. They don't want the more expensive and don't feel they have lost out. They also don't feel the need to have more than one pair. Then there are the the optic nuts who have a wide range of formats, are always looking for what else is out there. I have also been chewed out by a couple of female birders because they didn't think I should have more than one pair of bins. Like it was any of their business????

To go back to the original topic, the GR's are good glass. They are heavy, but it doesn't bother me. My Pentax 10x50's are heavy. I could care less about the color, unless it is garish. No pink camo. Ick. Or white or orange! They are definitely quality glass and I have taken them out with the Meoptas and the Conquest HDs. I had long wished for the Meoptas and was so very disappointed in the focuser. The view didn't blow me away in comparison. I did love the Conquests and found them easier to look through - I wear glasses. The view was amazing as well. That said, I don't feel shorted by the GRs. I REALLY want the Conquests, but when I look through the GRs, I can't really justify spending $900. I have used the Swaro EL's and for a long time, lusted after them. I don't any more.

Sancho was right, they are just tubes, with glass, that you look through. Tubes that we enjoy debating over, researching, trying out and maybe purchasing. The GR's are really good tubes to look through!
Lulu. Good to hear from one of the other three ladies on the forum! The Leupold Gold Rings 8x32 HD sold for $750(plus $20 shipping) in less than two days on Ebay. They are already on their way to South Carolina. I had over 190 views and 16 watchers in that time. I guess there is quite a demand for them since they are no longer made. They are excellent glass only a little on the heavy side. The SV's 8x32 have better edges, are 6 oz. lighter and because of the open bridge and narrow tubes fit my hands better because I can wrap my fingers around them. I also have Swaro 8x30 CL's and I love them. Just love em.
You are right about Steve. He gets a little caustic with me because of my vacillating opinions on binoculars but I too highly respect his and Frank's opinion because of their vast experience with binoculars. I have tried a lot of binoculars also and the SV's always gave me the best all around view and ergonomic experience. To me they are worth the difference. I got mine for $1500 in like new condition on Ebay so not bad for my primary birding binoculars. The Conquests IMO were good but not quite as good as the SV's and they were big and chunky and the SV's were only $500 more. I think you ladies if you have smaller hands would appreciate the SV's slender tubes and open bridge. BH is right about the resale on Swarovski's. They always retain their value and they sell faster than any other binocular. Except maybe the GR.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back