• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OLYMPUS Flash advice (1 Viewer)

mdb2

Hi, are there any recommendations, as to either Olympus or other compatable flashguns, to use with the O-Em1, mainly for off camera lighting! Using the olympus flash supplied as the trigger. Please.
Regards mike

I personally use Metz Oly dedicated flash for the more powerful stuff and their ring flash and Olympus for the pocket units (FL-36 down).

I don't have the EM1 but have used just about everything else with no problems (so far). Metz issue firmware updates from time to time and fix bugs, incompatabilities and add improvements - so it is worth checking if you get one. Easy process - I have done it several times.

The ring flash only works by remote and unless they have changed it since I have bought mine - most other manufacturers/cameras using optical remoteing. (advantage of no physical connection and good firmware).

If you are using off camera then you will have a very wide range of choices as it won't need to be an Olympus flash. Even some of the older flashes will work fine for this - just look for one with decent power and a fast recycle time (it is a pain to have to wait for the flash). What sort of stuff are you shooting? Might a studio flash head work - being mains powered they have stacks of power and keep going as long as you want them to.

If you are using off camera then you will have a very wide range of choices as it won't need to be an Olympus flash. Even some of the older flashes will work fine for this - just look for one with decent power and a fast recycle time (it is a pain to have to wait for the flash). What sort of stuff are you shooting? Might a studio flash head work - being mains powered they have stacks of power and keep going as long as you want them to.
Hi and Thankyou for replying, its main function will be fungi, either as backlight or fill flash.
Kind regards mike

I personally use Metz Oly dedicated flash for the more powerful stuff and their ring flash and Olympus for the pocket units (FL-36 down).

I don't have the EM1 but have used just about everything else with no problems (so far). Metz issue firmware updates from time to time and fix bugs, incompatabilities and add improvements - so it is worth checking if you get one. Easy process - I have done it several times.

The ring flash only works by remote and unless they have changed it since I have bought mine - most other manufacturers/cameras using optical remoteing. (advantage of no physical connection and good firmware).

Thankyou iveljay, that's quite well thought out, I have noticed the Olympus units are quite expensive!
Kind regards mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back