• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Southern and Central Norway (1 Viewer)

dbradnum

Hi everyone

I'll be spending 12 days in Norway in mid August, flying in to Kristiansand on the south coast, and then touring with a hire car and a tent. The current plan is to head north towards Trondheim and then work our way back down the west side of the country. Nothing is booked or set in stone though, so I'm very open to suggestions of good birding destinations. There doesn't seem to be very much info on birding in Norway on the net... which is hopefully where BirdForum can help!

I've got a list of theoretically possible target species, though I'm aware that August isn't a great time to look for many of these. If anyone can give me any advice on where I might find these, or suggest someone else who could, then that would be fantastic: there are some amazing birds in the list! The ones I'm particularly keen to see are in capitals.

• GYRFALCON
  • Willow Grouse
  • HAZEL GROUSE
  • Broad-billed Sandpiper
  • GREAT SNIPE
  • Long-tailed Skua
  • OWLS: Hawk, Tengmalms & Pygmy
  • WOODPECKERS: Black, Grey-headed, White-backed and Three-toed
  • SIBERIAN TIT
  • SIBERIAN JAY
  • Nutcracker
  • Common Rosefinch
Grateful for any help with these, or more general suggestions of birding sites - feel free to send private messages if info is sensitive.

Many thanks,

I presume you've found this site? http://birdwatch.brinkster.net/

I did some walking and birding around Voss one August about thirteen years ago. I jammed in to Parrot Crossbill, Nutcracker & Gyr Falcon along the way. However, with the possible exception of Rosefinch and LT Skua I think most of your wish list are more northern birds.

Stuart

As Stuart mentoned, further north would be better for many of those, but you're in with a real chance for Nutcracker at least - they begin to move about and become very vocal in late August to September and you certainly will be within their range. Learn the call on a CD and listen, you should get one ...I hope ;) Likewise with Black Woodpecker, be sure you know the call and you stand a very good chance. I've seen both in August in the range you're going and also fluked a Hawk Owl in September as I emerged from a tent one morning, but that was quite a bit further north than Trondheim

Cheers guys - nice to know there's someone out there! I have been working through the site that you gave, Stuart, and contacted Eddie Chapman direct.

I know that all of the list are possible, but I just haven't got specific enough details to warrant spending lots of time looking on spec - I gather there's quite a lot of forest in Norway! ;)

Gyr - I've heard about a summering bird on the Hardangervidda, and Great Snipe have a lek there (though birds won't be lekking when I'm there). White-backed and Grey-headed Woodpeckers are on the west coast, albeit in small numbers. Sibe Tit and Jay were both seen in Dovrefjell according to <this trip report>.

Sounds like I need to get the bird call CDs out and put a few tracks on repeat for a while. Although this is primarily a trip for wandering around being wowed by scenery (I hope), I would like to come home with a few new birds!

Knowing the call can also be pretty useful for Siberian Tit and Hazel Hen, though these calls are rather less far-carrying than Black Woodpecker. As for the scenery, it is very easy to find bits to be wowed by - the fjords are stunning.

Stuart

Quick bump on this thread - I'm heading north in a couple of days, so any additional last-minute suggestions would be very welcome!

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back