• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gannet near London (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

I'm going to be in London for a few days over Xmas and should be able to get a day away from family to go birding. I would really like to see a Gannet. What's the nearest place to London where I might reasonably expect to see one?

Jeff

I'm going to be in London for a few days over Xmas and should be able to get a day away from family to go birding. I would really like to see a Gannet. What's the nearest place to London where I might reasonably expect to see one?

Jeff

Saw several in the English Channel a week ago from St Margarets, Kent..(you can almost ''touch France'' from there)..although you might need a bit of luck, as you'll be two months later!...blue skies and an on-shore wind?

cheers

Don't know the area well myself (coast south of London), but I'd assume that views could be distant at this time of year, and require correct conditions in any case as mentioned.

Might be best to tie it in with a visit to other sites/nature reserve for other wildlife in the area rather than pin all hopes on getting poor views of this one species. Birdingpals might be worth looking up. Dungeness certainly interesting (with RSPB reserve nearby for other interesting species), although presumably a bit further to travel.

Hi Jeff,

There's always a few hanging around in the Channel - easiest way to see one is to take a cross-channel ferry (Dover-Calais). You can do this as a day trip as it's only 1.5 h one-way.

N

Need not go too far. A trip to the Isle of Sheppey on the north Kent coast may produce one or two out at sea. Shellness on the eastern tip of the island used to be a regular birding spot of mine in the past and I regularly chalked up gannet there while sea watching.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back