• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Just picked an email from the Trust as follows
Dear all,
Just to let you know John Hodson will cut parts of the Flashes today
with the hand mower. His volunteers will rake the cut material into
windrows, and hopefully when its dry you can pile it into habitat piles
near the fence line. Try and use the same mounds as previously, then you
will be developing grass snake refuge. Keeping the mounds small
maximises the wet grassland/sedge areas. Please don't burn it.
John is doing the work earlier than we planned as the weather conditions
are good, and the ground is dry, plus its very quiet down there. He may
be down there tomorrow too. Johns booked up for other jobs in the next
couple of weeks.
I will organise the mowing of the back meadow soon.

In addition: Barnacle Goose; Water Rail; Kingfisher; Buzzard; Cock Pheasant: Green Woodpecker x 2. c15 Teal; 6 Shoveler. Brown Rat swimming in the WR hide channnel.

A bit of disturbance to the birds as a contractor was spraying on the islands.

In a couple of hours this evening:

Moors - Arctic Tern 3, Shoveler 10+, GC Grebe 3, Barnacle Goose 1, Bullfinch 3 juvs on the feeding station, Greenfinch 2 ads & 2 juvs on feeding station.

Flashes - Redstart (per SyV), Blackcap, Green Sand 3, Curlew 7, Little Grebe on 3rd Flash, Kingfisher.

Sailing Pool - Kingfisher, and the three Arctic Terns seemed set to roost there.

Mike

In addition: Barnacle Goose; Water Rail; Kingfisher; Buzzard; Cock Pheasant: Green Woodpecker x 2. c15 Teal; 6 Shoveler. Brown Rat swimming in the WR hide channnel.

A bit of disturbance to the birds as a contractor was spraying on the islands.

I think that they were probably attempting to control the spread of Crassula helmsii - an invasive alien plant that has the potential to overrun the shoreline throughout Amy's marsh if not kept in check. Any disturbance is regrettable but necessary - I hope it didn't detract from your enjoyment of the reserve.

In a couple of hours this evening:

Moors - Arctic Tern 3, Shoveler 10+, GC Grebe 3, Barnacle Goose 1, Bullfinch 3 juvs on the feeding station, Greenfinch 2 ads & 2 juvs on feeding station.

Flashes - Redstart (per SyV), Blackcap, Green Sand 3, Curlew 7, Little Grebe on 3rd Flash, Kingfisher.

Sailing Pool - Kingfisher, and the three Arctic Terns seemed set to roost there.

Mike

Hi Mike - what age were the Arctic Terns today?

The Arctic Terns were 1 adult and 2 juveniles, Phil.
Like most species the Redstart was on the sunny western facing side of the hedge behind the Avocet Hide viewable from the approach path across the corner of the transmitter field.
Here are a couple of shots from an otherwise unremarkable few hours spent largely in Mike's company... that sounds wrong - it wasn't Mike's company that made it unremarkable!
Distant shot of a Mute Swan taking off into the rapidly descending darkness.
A Long-tailed Tit whilst the light was good.
A shot showing some of the recent work carried out by the trust and the amount of Phrag offcuts we've been left to dispose of. But, they have opened the 3rd Flash up nicely...

Attachments

• MS.jpg
    MS.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 69
  • LTT.jpg
    LTT.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 59
  • Panorama_resize.jpg
    Panorama_resize.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I think that they were probably attempting to control the spread of Crassula helmsii - an invasive alien plant that has the potential to overrun the shoreline throughout Amy's marsh if not kept in check. Any disturbance is regrettable but necessary - I hope it didn't detract from your enjoyment of the reserve.

Thanks for the info. No, it would take a lot, lot more than that to stop me enjoying the place!

Rob

Any news for today?

I spent 12 hours at the reserve today and the highlights were as follows:

Flashes:

1 Green Sand, 1 Curlew, 14 Teal, 1 Shoveler, 32 BHGs, 1 LBBG, 6 Lapwings, 1 Reed Warbler (Hen Pool), 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Buzzard

Phil Quiney later reported a Yellow Wagtail in amongst the cattle in the Transmitter field.

Moors Pool:

2 Arctic Terns (1 adult bird), 1 Wigeon (male eclipse), 1 Hobby, 2 Snipe, 2 Green Sands, 30 Lapwings, 22 Teal, 10 Shovelers, 1 Coal Tit, 2 Kingfishers, 1 Water Rail, 5 GC Grebes, 1 Little Grebe.

River Salwarpe:

1 Treecreeper

The Coal Tit was a UW year tick for me. Thanks to Bob (RJW) for finding the bird amongst a flock of blue, great, long-tailed tits and chiffchaffs behind the East Hide.

No Pochard were present at the Moors Pool today and I didn't see or hear any Cetti's Warblers.

Some record shots of today's sightings:

Attachments

• Arctic Tern(3).jpg
    Arctic Tern(3).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Snipe.jpg
    Snipe.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Green Sand.jpg