• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Price of sunflower hearts (1 Viewer)

michael23

Hi everyone, just wondering how much you pay for your sunflower hearts. I currently pay £1.99 per kg from either wilkos or local market hall.Any cheaper anywhere else?

I buy mine in bulk by that I mean a 20 kg sack and pay £30 for it = £1.50. I get it from a friend that does pet food supplies and get it delivered to my door.

There are probably places that do them cheaper than I can get them. But the thing is the more you get the cheaper it is so if you have somewhere to store a larger amount it would work out better for you. A large lidded plastic container would be ideal and should hold about 5kg or so.

Hi everyone, just wondering how much you pay for your sunflower hearts. I currently pay £1.99 per kg from either wilkos or local market hall.Any cheaper anywhere else?

Michael, Taylors in South Wingfield sell large sacks of sunflower hearts and more besides and work out cheaper than buying small bags from Wilkos or any pet shop.

I buy mine in bulk by that I mean a 20 kg sack and pay £30 for it = £1.50. I get it from a friend that does pet food supplies and get it delivered to my door.

There are probably places that do them cheaper than I can get them. But the thing is the more you get the cheaper it is so if you have somewhere to store a larger amount it would work out better for you. A large lidded plastic container would be ideal and should hold about 5kg or so.

I keep my seed stock in a kitchen swing bin that holds about 25kg. For filling my feeders, I decant some into one of those tubs in which you buy 50 fat balls. This makes storage convenient, keeps the price down, but avoids a hernia when taking seed to the containers.

i bought a funnel from a local pet shop. it holds a litre in volume of seed, and has a valve in the spout so you can just use what you need without risk of overfilling stuff. its shaped like a big scoop too, so its easy to fill. i keep my feed in a big plastic swing lid bin.

Be aware that the sunflower hearts could come from Black Sunflower, or Striped Sunflower, or a mixture of the two. Black Sunflower has a higher oil content and therefore is preferable and worth more.

I looked into buying sunflower hearts from Black Sunflower recently, wholesale, and the price is basically £1 per kilo to the reseller. This seems to set an ultimate price floor of around £1.40 - £1.50 per kilo to the end consumer (e.g. see Brinvale, £1.45 per kilo delivered).

But for myself the ultimate origin is important. China exports sunflowers to Europe (I'm not sure if this is a recent occurrence) and personally I would not like my bird food to have been shipped half-way around the world, with the environmental impact that causes.

So I would buy from the RSPB as they ship their sunflowers from Europe in the most environmentally responsible way they can, otherwise I would use a supplier who can guarantee they have come from Europe or at worst the US.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back