• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

searching for the name of a bird who stays with parents into maturity (1 Viewer)

judeanna

About a year or so ago i read an article or heard a podcast about a rare type of bird that stays with its parents after maturity. I am trying to find the name of this bird... i believe it started with a c, but perhaps it was a k. I was hopeing someone here could help me with the name. The only thing i remember was that this type of bird actually cared for its parents before it eventually leaves the nest. I know this is very vague... any help appreciated!

I think Florida Scrub Jay stays with it's parents and helps look after the next brood with it's parents. Could be that?

Oh and before anyone says this doesn't belong in rare birds thread, it's positively unknown at the moment ;) can't get much rarer than that ;)

Thank you so much for your response! I don't believe the Florida Scrub Jay is the name i am looking for, although perhaps the bird i am looking for is a cooperative breeder as the Florida Scrub Jay is. So, thank you so much for giving me another clue in my puzzle! I am pretty sure the name starts with the letter c or k.

Can't think of one that looks after its parents, but one of the Australian Swiftlets lays one egg which hatches, and then a second - heat from the nestling incubates the second egg!

Chickadee?

Engage in co-operative breeding at any rate. Google says that maybe 8 - 3% (300+) bird species engage in such practises, so there's probably a lot of options out there!

Not a C/K, but Babblers are another family that remain as a family.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back