• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Middleton Lakes, (1 Viewer)

George Garner

Hi Everyone,
Last year one of the speakers at our indoor meetings was the education officer at Middleton lakes.
So sensing a golden oppertunity, we knobbled him to give us a guided walk, and I must say this was most interesting, to see at first hand what they were doing and hearing what they intended to do in the future.
The last time I was at Middleton was for an evening twitch when the gravel extracters had finished for the day, did see a Broad Billed Sandpiper, ( a lifer)
It is all very different now and looks like being a great reserve in the future.
The birds seen, in no particular order were, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Coot, Common Sandpiper, Redshank, Woodpigeon, Swift, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Blackbird, Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.
I understand that they have a Herony there, that is well worth a visit in the spring.
Altogether a most informative, and pleasant day out.

George

Sounds like a lovely selection of birds, George, and a very good day out. I am glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing.

Hi Everyone,
Last year one of the speakers at our indoor meetings was the education officer at Middleton lakes.
So sensing a golden oppertunity, we knobbled him to give us a guided walk, and I must say this was most interesting, to see at first hand what they were doing and hearing what they intended to do in the future.
The last time I was at Middleton was for an evening twitch when the gravel extracters had finished for the day, did see a Broad Billed Sandpiper, ( a lifer)
It is all very different now and looks like being a great reserve in the future.
The birds seen, in no particular order were, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Coot, Common Sandpiper, Redshank, Woodpigeon, Swift, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Blackbird, Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.
I understand that they have a Herony there, that is well worth a visit in the spring.
Altogether a most informative, and pleasant day out.

George

Hi George

I loved hearing about your report and your experiences of your day out. That is one impressive list of birds

As a for the lifer that you have got 'Broad Billed Sandpiper' - never heard of the name before. :-O

That goes without saying. Well done to you :t::t:

Kathy
x

It sounds like a lovely place to go, George. Too far friom me, but I enjoyed reading your report. You saw some good birds too, specially the 'lifer'.

Hi George,
Sounds like your guided tour of the lakes produced a nice variety of Birds.

Ah! so you are one of the lucky one who gets to see these Spring gems aye George. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back