• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinch disappearance - Suffolk help! (1 Viewer)

I would hope this has more to do with people going away on holiday and not filing their garden birdwatch results rather than a catastrophic decline in Goldfinches!

Des.

Hadn't seen any Goldfinches for a few days but just now in the middle of a thunderstorm 3 were on the sunflower hearts and 1 on the nijer seed (only ever see one on the nijer, think it must be the same bird, it is a bit smaller than the rest. There are 2 Blue Tits and 3 Greenfinches visiting the hearts as well. Feeling guilty I forgot to put corn and summer seed on flags this morning for Doves, Sparrows and anybody else passing. The flags are now under water and they are still looking for food. Hope it eases up soon and I can go and put some out on a dry bit (if I can find one).

Hope you all see Goldfinches soon.

Ann

We have had about 20 goldfinches in and around our garden all summer feeding on sunflower hearts but they disappeared about 3 to 4 weeks ago.

My assumption is that they are out in the fields nearby feeding on the thistle heads which now seem to be seeding well.

I think you need to be patient and wait for another few weeks and they should return

Ken

A few goldfinches at Minsmere today. Best seen in the north bushes or just as you get to the North wall. Also have been seen around the pond in the old car park. Minsmere today was rather windy and decidedly wet this afternoon. A few waders are moving through with dunlin, knot, curlew sand, wood , green and common sand, a lot of black-tailed godwit and the odd bar-tail. A few ruff and a lot of spotted redshank. Snipe have come back in good numbers. One greenshank, two sanderling and three turnstone complete the waders. A lot of little gulls(I counted 30+ until they flew) a handful of black tern, common, sandwich and little. Marsh harriers were thin on the ground( or should that be in the air) and the bitterns were keeping low.
At this time of year anything can turn up so I'm sure you will have a good visit.
Ivan

Ivan said:
A few goldfinches at Minsmere today. Best seen in the north bushes or just as you get to the North wall. Also have been seen around the pond in the old car park. Minsmere today was rather windy and decidedly wet this afternoon. A few waders are moving through with dunlin, knot, curlew sand, wood , green and common sand, a lot of black-tailed godwit and the odd bar-tail. A few ruff and a lot of spotted redshank. Snipe have come back in good numbers. One greenshank, two sanderling and three turnstone complete the waders. A lot of little gulls(I counted 30+ until they flew) a handful of black tern, common, sandwich and little. Marsh harriers were thin on the ground( or should that be in the air) and the bitterns were keeping low.
At this time of year anything can turn up so I'm sure you will have a good visit.
Ivan

Thanks that's great help! I'm going tomorrow- I hope the weather's ok!

From 30 to a dozen last week, now only two on sunflower hearts. A birding friend told me that they are now flocking up in the stubble fields, possibly this is the reason for the sudden decline at the feeders.

I think many farmers are having trouble combining this year, with all this rain, and crops are rotting in the fields. Seed eaters will be able to help themselves for a while!
cheers
Mary

I had an adult feeding two begging babies today on my fence outside the lounge window. So cute, isn't it late for young ones though? I thought they would be all finished about a month ago?

i know im late replying but thanks songbird. I didnt see any goldfinches in suffolk, but saw other great birds. maybe i'll get some soon - oh well, im happy with the great birds im getting now!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back