• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Food supplies? (1 Viewer)

Denise

At the moment I provide the garden birds with a variety of food including; peanuts, birdcake, hi-energy ground mix and mixed seeds. Even though I buy the birdcake mix dry, add dripping and mix my own ground feed, I am finding it's getting very expensive. I purchase everything from C & J Wild Bird Foods, Shropshire who I must admit supply quality feedstuffs. Does anyone know of alternative sources please that could help out with my budget?
Many thanks in advance.

Hi Denise,

We feed all year round too. We started off getting all our seed from the big suppliers such as C J Birdfoods and Jocobi Jaynes, but as you say it's a very expensive business. I live in a town with a weekly market that has a pet stall. We buy 25 kg of sunflower hearts from them for about £26.00 which they deliver free of charge and lasts three months. In addition they sell fat balls and bags of wild bird seed at very reasonable prices. Often they throw in free of charge items in damaged packaging.

If you have a wholesale pet supplier or a seed merchant in your area, you may find them a cheaper source of supply.

I am aware that we don't advertise on this site but for those local to Fakenham, Norfolk, there is a good animal food supplier on the Enterprise Way (commercial park near Focus, oops that wasn't an advert for the DIY store). They do sunflower hearts, sunflower seeds, peanuts, wild bird food mix and fatballs at very reasonable prices. The added advantage is they are also very cheap for dog food.

:t: Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back