• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod advice (1 Viewer)

a_j_steele

Recently got a 400 5.6 lenses (currently on a 50D body but likely to end but going on a 7d mk2) but on british dulls day no IS can be challenging so looking for something lightweight when i don't want to carry my tripod around but will support the weight (approx 3kg)

Recommendations will naturally depend on your budget.
The first thing is forget the weight ratings of various manufacturers as they are all over the place! Secondly I would go for as few leg sections as is practical. Mono pods with 5 or 6 leg sections look great on paper but the lower sections can get awfully thin!
For what it's worth I use a Sirui P424 (too big for your needs) which is very good and well made. If you can afford it my Gitzo GM2541 would be ideal. It weighs next to nothing, is rigid and will support pretty much any Canon lens going.
If the Gitzo is a bit salty (they are rather expensive!) then this Feisol looks interesting:
http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-monopod-cm1401-rapid-p-7.html
I have not used it personally but a couple of friends have Feisol tripods and they are very good quality for the price.

Happy hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back