• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Orlando area Easter 09 (1 Viewer)

JohnnyH

Aldershot till I die!
Hi All,

I'm off to Orlando,Fl in April, will I be able to connect with any migrants passing through or will I be too early? Also can anyone suggest any sites within say an hour's drive from Orlando that will be good for passage birds, & what species can I hope to see.

Cheers,

John.

Should be spot on for passage birds I would have thought, there were plenty of migrants when i was there 3 years ago(last week March- first week April).There are a few really good places within driving distance but probably depends on how much time you have available eg is this a family holiday or business trip or birding holiday? Anything in particular that you'd like to see?
Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm in Orlando for a family wedding / holiday but planning on spending a few days birding as well. I'd like to see passage warblers / passerines if possible, I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

Cheers,

John.

We stayed in Kissimee and did a lot of my birding in the hotel grounds which was beside a lake. Early mornings were best with different birds most days, stuff like Painted Bunting, Eastern Wood Peewee, Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher,Northern Waterthrush plus the usual Palm Warblers, Yellowthroats, Cardinals, Grackles and such-like. We had a good day at Sea-World with a nice group of Warblers, mainly Yellow-Rumped but also Cape-May and American Redstart. If you like herons then Gatorland is a must with most types breeding there. For a proper days birding I'd definitely go to Merritt Island, a superb place! My biggest regret of the holiday was that I didn't give it more time. All in all I found Florida a wonderful place for birds and most of them are incredibly tame.
Cheers
Phil

Hi John

Go to the Great Florida Birding Trail website. You can down laod a site guide for the area you want to visit - and they are very good (there are also updates available to download. I've used them in Florida with good success.

http://floridabirdingtrail.com/

Bill Pranty's Florida birding guide is also very good and I think has recently been updated.

I think it is far better to have a good guide with all the info at your fingertips.

Have a great time - it is a fab place to go birding

M

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back