• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smith's Longspur and other species in second half of June (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Hi everybody,

I'm a Swiss birder, going to visit Alaska for the second time. This time we'll be at Barrow first, then going on a camper tour from Anchorage for the last two weeks in June. Essentially, it's going to be a round-trip to Whitehorse - Skagway - Dawson City - Tok - Fairbanks - Denali NP, with the Denali Highway fitted in somewhere either early or late. Thus my question, which is better for finding (hopefully) Smith's Longspur, mid-June or late June? Maybe depending on the present amount of snow cover?

I have the 2008 edition of West's bird finding guide. But I presume there might be particular places that someone knows that are not pointed out in the book. If you do, please let me know on my private address rkfurrer at hotmail.com, just omitting the spaces and substituting at with @. I'm aware that such places might be overrun if they are too well known. I should say I'm not attempting to chase the species for photos. I carry a scope so as not having to approach too closely for watching. And I'd prefer watching them from the car so as to least disturb them, if that should be possible.

Other species we missed on our previous visit are Arctic Warbler, Hawk Owl, and White-winged Crossbill, as well as Hoary Redpoll (presumably best at Barrow?). Thus, any places that have proved rather reliable would be welcome with as specific directions as possible. I should say that the Dalton Highway is essentially off limits, as is the Dempster in Canada. We'll have a 25ft camper which is larger than I had wanted.

Also, I have tried to arrange for a rental car at Barrow, but never got a reply on my many attempts by phone, fax and "snail mail". Is this typical, and can I still expect that the reservation will have been made?

Hi everybody,

I'm a Swiss birder, going to visit Alaska for the second time. This time we'll be at Barrow first, then going on a camper tour from Anchorage for the last two weeks in June. Essentially, it's going to be a round-trip to Whitehorse - Skagway - Dawson City - Tok - Fairbanks - Denali NP, with the Denali Highway fitted in somewhere either early or late. Thus my question, which is better for finding (hopefully) Smith's Longspur, mid-June or late June? Maybe depending on the present amount of snow cover?

.....Other species we missed on our previous visit are Arctic Warbler, Hawk Owl, and White-winged Crossbill, as well as Hoary Redpoll (presumably best at Barrow?). Thus, any places that have proved rather reliable would be welcome with as specific directions as possible. I should say that the Dalton Highway is essentially off limits, as is the Dempster in Canada. We'll have a 25ft camper which is larger than I had wanted.

Also, I have tried to arrange for a rental car at Barrow, but never got a reply on my many attempts by phone, fax and "snail mail". Is this typical, and can I still expect that the reservation will have been made?

Back from our prolonged trip, I think it might be helpful to provide some feedback to my original post.

Barrow was definitely a highlight. We were there from 10 to 14 June, benefitting greatly by good weather. We were able to get a rental car, and such a car is absolutely essential. The contact address is wsaganna "at" ukpik.com, with the customary modifications to be made around the "at". Mr. William J. Saganna Sr. is a most helpful person. He apparently never received any of my various requests for a reservation.

We found all the searched for species, except the Yellow-billed Loons. Their ponds were still too much covered with ice. But it was amazing to note what a difference just those four days made. Polar Bears and a vagrant Common Sandpiper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLwPrYOB9SU) were additional specialties.

The camper tour did not provide the species I was looking for, except for the Arctic Warbler. Only thanks to playback finalls really seen, after having heared it quite often. White-winged Crossbill was heared at UAF campus, Fairbanks. But upcoming prolonged and heavy rains spoiled a visual ID.

Finally, that large Cruise America camper did not give us the wanted autonomy. All too often did we have to find a sewer dump and a water hose to refill the tank. Plus, using that much gas (8 or less mpg) is not exactly how I want to go birding either.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm just back from a less ambitious family trip to Alaska (Anchorage, Denali NP and Kenai peninsula). White-winged crossbills were common and conspicuous on the Kenai peninsula. Failed to find any arctic warblers around Denali though.

Rob

Interesting. I'm just back from a less ambitious family trip to Alaska (Anchorage, Denali NP and Kenai peninsula). White-winged crossbills were common and conspicuous on the Kenai peninsula. Failed to find any arctic warblers around Denali though.

Rob

Regarding Arctic Warblers, I think the same thing may have happened to you that I experienced on my previous visit in 2004. Apparently, the birds stop singing soon, and by July 10, you'd have to be lucky to catch a singer, I guess. The Kenai peninsula was not on our tour list this time. But then I presume I might get that species in northern Europe at some point? At any rate, you rightfully say that our trip was a bit ambitious. I tend to plan that way, but maybe I'll still have a chance to get a bit smarter with old age? ;) Having had that extra time at Barrow (for the simple reason that I had added two "spare" or reserve days in my planning to account for possible lousy weather conditions) made all the difference there, as I can now tell in hindsight. Of course, we might have been hotel-stuck for four days up there as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back