• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF-S 60mm over 18-55 (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
So for many years I have been using the 18-55mm Canon "kit lens" for my "macro" photography and I'm thinking about an upgrade. Simple question, is the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM a considerable upgrade to this kit lens?

I will be using it mostly for flowers and insects. Using the 18-55 for so long, the distance is not an issue (vs. 100mm which people also talk about). I find the 18-55 is not meeting my expectations for details, something that is often crucial in the identification of insects. It is far too soft for my liking. I may use it for basic landscapes if the time arises. Will this lens meet my goals?

The Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM is way better then the Kit lens, I have this lens and its very sharp, flowers are easy to take but bugs are a little harder you have to get very close to fill the frame, I am retired now and find it hard to get down there with them and getting up is even harder so I have just got a new Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens yesterday for the extra few £ or in your case $ I would go for the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens £385.00

Canon EF-S 60MM F2.8 USM Macro Lens £348.00

Which ever you get I’m sure you will be happy with the lens.

Regards

Jim

Must say after getting the 60 it has been an interesting run. It is too close for landscapes so I now carry 3 lenses.

I opted for the 60 as the 100 seemed too limiting. I have no issues approaching small insects (and especially not flowers) as I've spent most of my life "learning" tolerances of specific insect groups and how to approach them.

My main problem has been the depth of field being extremely narrow. I don't always have enough light to up the f-stop so that has been difficult. I have a few photographs of crickets where only a small part of the eye is in focus and everything else is blurry for instance. Some good butterfly pictures with only 5% of the wings in focus. Perhaps some "basic camera skills" will solve this and I'm being an idiot.

What camera do you have SW.

I got the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens but after connecting it to my camera I found it was the IS version so got in contact with my dealer and told them, I said I like the lens so could I keep it but have a discount and he agreed and knocked £100 off so I was a happy man it’s a cracking lens just need these bugs to show now :)

Jim

Depth of field can be a problem but don’t be afraid to open the lens up to say f/11 to get more when your close and try to get the bug square on with the lens so the head and tail are at the same distance away from the camera.

Jim

Yes I do try and angle the photograph especially with butterflies so each part is equal distance. I take a lot of low light pictures though so f-11 isn't always a useful option.

I only have Canon 1000D base unfortunately. Too poor to afford 7D II!

If it’s a dark day here like it is most times here I will use the onboard flash defused through a plastic milk bottle made to fit in front of the lens with a rubber band lol
And I started with a Canon 400D but any camera will do for macro it’s the lens that counts.

Jim

Just a few pictures taken back in 2007 with a Panasonic DMC-FZ50 and a Ranox 170 add on macro lens.

Jim

Attachments

• Anttendingitssheep.jpg
    Anttendingitssheep.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Dung_Fly2_7_10_07.jpg
    Dung_Fly2_7_10_07.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 118
  • spiderwithyoung_25_07_07.jpg
    spiderwithyoung_25_07_07.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 122
  • fly3.jpg
    fly3.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back