• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory SF (1 Viewer)

I am a fan of 10X binoculars, as I would rather see the small bits better that I would see a wider area.

So far I'm not too old to hold them pretty steady.

Not sure how much longer that will last, but for now all is well with 10X.

Good for you. We use our binos most intensively on the islands off the west coast of Scotland there is almost always a stiff breeze blowing. For me it doesn't take much of an increase in wind speed for this to start interfering with my ability to hold a 10x steady. I had a Dialyt 10x40 for many years but in the end found 8x better in a wider variety of situations, not only because I could hold them steadier and they have a wider field of view but also because the depth of field is deeper so re-focusing isn't required as frequently.

I hope you enjoy your 10x binos for many years to come.

Lee

Good for you. We use our binos most intensively on the islands off the west coast of Scotland there is almost always a stiff breeze blowing. For me it doesn't take much of an increase in wind speed for this to start interfering with my ability to hold a 10x steady. I had a Dialyt 10x40 for many years but in the end found 8x better in a wider variety of situations, not only because I could hold them steadier and they have a wider field of view but also because the depth of field is deeper so re-focusing isn't required as frequently.

I hope you enjoy your 10x binos for many years to come.

Lee

Thank you, Lee.

I am peculiar in that I bird from my car, so I can take a pretty steady position using knees etc. to rest my elbows on. In an extreme case, or with my 16X70, I will run the window partway up and rest on its edge. If I pull down hard, it is very steady.

Wind is not one of my favorite things, for quite a number of reasons.

Cheers!
Richard

Thank you, Lee.

I am peculiar in that I bird from my car, so I can take a pretty steady position using knees etc. to rest my elbows on. In an extreme case, or with my 16X70, I will run the window partway up and rest on its edge. If I pull down hard, it is very steady.

Wind is not one of my favorite things, for quite a number of reasons.

Cheers!
Richard

Sounds like a great solution Richard. There are one or two places we know where we can do just that too, and sometimes it is the best answer on a windy and rainy day. There are car window clamps of various kinds you can attach spotting scopes or binos to and that act like tripod heads so you can have an even steadier image. I would imagine you would need a scope with a straight eyepiece rather than an angled one.

Lee

Sounds like a great solution Richard. There are one or two places we know where we can do just that too, and sometimes it is the best answer on a windy and rainy day. There are car window clamps of various kinds you can attach spotting scopes or binos to and that act like tripod heads so you can have an even steadier image. I would imagine you would need a scope with a straight eyepiece rather than an angled one.

Lee

Mine has an angled eyepiece, which is why I prefer the 16X70 in addition to the advantages of using two eyes.

If I can't see it or identify then, I just count it as a "generic bird".

Thanks Lee
I confess to also owning other brands including a Leitz Wetzlar ( black square logo rather than red circle ) 10 x 40 Trinovid which is a little crackerjack.
Cheers, Pat

Thanks Lee
I confess to also owning other brands including a Leitz Wetzlar ( black square logo rather than red circle ) 10 x 40 Trinovid which is a little crackerjack.
Cheers, Pat

They are lovely binos aren't they. Troubadoris still has a treasured 'black logo' Leitz Wetzlar (pre-Portugal) 8x40, now retired from field duties.

Lee

Got to try a black body SF today for the first time, really nice, the focus is definitely improved over the grey examples I tried, have they tweaked the coatings ?, I could not perceive any greenish hue any longer, got to try them alongside a NV, huge difference in contrast with the NV leading the way, but looking at Herring Gulls on a roof with an overcast sky behind, I much preferred the lower contrast of the SF, the NV looking "blown out" on highlights to me.

Really really liked that SF, it could even tempt me to leave my SVFP at home, just need a bit more overtime !

Got to try a black body SF today for the first time, really nice, the focus is definitely improved over the grey examples I tried, have they tweaked the coatings ?, I could not perceive any greenish hue any longer, got to try them alongside a NV, huge difference in contrast with the NV leading the way, but looking at Herring Gulls on a roof with an overcast sky behind, I much preferred the lower contrast of the SF, the NV looking "blown out" on highlights to me.

Really really liked that SF, it could even tempt me to leave my SVFP at home, just need a bit more overtime !

Posts like this make the voices start up again, and they are getting louder.

Listening to some of the comments above, might I be forgiven for imagining certain bins; be they old or new, have been wired with audiophile grade copper cabling for improved performance??

LGM

Dennis - have you become HunTer?

I will take light weight, strength, rigidity, dimensional stability and efficiency, hydrophobicity, impact toughness, and low cost any day ;) :cat: :king: :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

As a Canadian, I would have to worry about metal eyecups freezing to my face and at the very least leaving twin raccoon-like circles of damaged skin around my eyes when they were taken away, therefore I would vote for composite cups over metal ones.

As a Canadian, I would have to worry about metal eyecups freezing to my face and at the very least leaving twin raccoon-like circles of damaged skin around my eyes when they were taken away, therefore I would vote for composite cups over metal ones.

Just picturing your thoughts got a LOL out of me. ;)

If you use 10x magnification binos this freezing effect will steady the image up nicely as it suppresses bino shake.

Unfortunately metal eyecups have a rubber coating so they don't scratch spectacles so you won't really benefit from the freezing effect.

However if you ever strip off the rubber coating and test out your freezing theory do get someone to take a pic and then post it on here :eek!:

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back