Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Yesterday, 12:41   #251
Purple Heron

@ Borjam Just wanted to clarify something since my referring to "wireless technologies" is not very specific. It is microwave spectrum radiation that is considered to be biologically hazardous. 5G is considered to be especially toxic since the resonance of these frequencies is very close to the resonance frequencies of cell walls. As I understand it (admittedly physics is not my strong point) this resonance from an outside source compromises the integrity of the cell structure.
Old Today, 09:31   #252
Purple Heron

Climate change is blamed for everything nowadays

Anything that's going wrong with the environment these days is being blamed on climate change. Climate change is the new orthodoxy, and to deny it is heresy.

There have always been fluctuations in weather/climate throughout my lifetime. Spells of dry years followed by very wet years. Water tables are falling in the Med, but a lot of that can be put down to the way water is used. When I was a child, there were no swimming pools on this island. Now most hotels and a number of houses have them. A pool takes 3-4 days to fill if the water runs continuously. It is inevitable that the water table will fall with so many pools. They will also fall if people plant lawns (not a normal feature of Mediterranean gardens), water olive groves (they never used to be watered) and build golf courses to attract tourism (as is happening in Portugal, where far too much of the country's water resources are going to keep the golf courses green). Why does anyone need swimming pools on an island where nowhere is far from a beach?

In the same way, at least some of climbing summer temperatures can be put down to the use of air conditioning,which blasts hot air into the environment. The price of a cool building inside is that it gets a lot hotter outside. When nobody had air conditioning, cities and town were a good deal cooler. What, exactly, is wrong with opening a window?

There is much written about climate change, and everyone seems to be very concerned about it; then the same people who complain go home and turn on the air-conditioner, or get on a plane to go on their holidays, or eat packaged foods that are full of palm oil. The Paris Climate conference was huge news, and everyone is ever so indignant--but nobody seems to really want to do anything about what's wrong.

If anyone really, really cared about climate change, they would tax jet fuel and travel by other means than air, even if it took longer. They would refuse to eat any food containing palm oil (have you any idea how many rainforests are being chopped down to plant oil palms--or how many foods these days contain palm oil? Just read the ingredients the next time you buy a snack or ready food). They would resist huge infrastructure projects like even more highways that eat through our remaining forests and groves. They would open windows in summer, wear an extra layer of clothes in winter, and choose energy-efficient options wherever possible--including mass communications. I don't know whether I am convinced by climate science or not, but it doesn't matter; I'm all for getting rid of pollutants, saving energy, and preserving all that is good and beautiful on this planet.

One thing I very much doubt, however, is that climate change is as much of a factor in declining bird and insect populations as everyone would like to think. We're not talking about 10 degree changes in temperature when we talk about climate change, after all. Many birds, for instance, often have a huge range of climates where they live and breed. Nuthatches, long-tailed tits, great tits, great spotted woodpeckers, tawny owls, ravens and jays, for instance, span southernmost Europe all the way north to the arctic. These are just a few examples of birds that are resident all year round in a variety of climates. It is more logical that a bird's range would change if the climate changes than that a bird would disappear, other things being equal. If the climate became too cold, it would move south. If the climate became too hot, it would move north.

Climate change is a marvelous catch-all phrase that people use to absolve themselves of responsibility for the damage we do to nature. If you don't want to see the Med turn into a desert, don't go golfing in places like Portugal or Crete. Demand hotels without pools--go to the beach. Don't turn the air-conditioning on. If you don't want them to keep chopping rainforests down, demand that manufacturers stop using palm oil and don't buy products that contain it. Demand and use wired connections that are more energy-efficient than wireless mobile communications. It all adds up. If climate change is indeed happening, then you are contributing and you can do something about it. We all use energy to live, to preserve and cook food, to move about--but we can choose how much we use, and try to use it wisely.

Is climate change really happening? I see a great deal wrong with the world that I would change whether or not I believe in climate change. Just for fun, check out the following:
"The Climate Changes Back--What Comes Next? http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-1...hat-comes-next (If this link doesn't work, enter the article title in ZH's search box)
"New Climate Study Throws Wrench in Global Climate Debate: "Our New Technical Paper...Will Likely Be Ignored" http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...l-paper-will-l
Or you can read Micheal Crichton's excellent book, "State of Fear"

Last edited by Purple Heron : Today at 09:47.
Old Today, 10:59   #253
Gordon

You must be joking.

Zerohedge is a financial blog. Looking at some of their articles about global warming and the comments below the line shows that the writers and commenters don't understand basic science.

Michael Crichton - the Union of Concerned Scientists - "To clear up these misconceptions, we have selected some representative cases to discuss; the list below, however, is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the errors in Crichton's book." https://www.ucsusa.org/global_warmin...-state-of.html

The Weather Underground - " Unfortunately, Crichton presents a error-filled and distorted version of the Global Warming science, favoring views of the handful of contrarians that attack the consensus science of the IPCC. I list a few of the errors and distortions below:" https://www.wunderground.com/resourc...tateoffear.asp
Old Today, 12:43   #254
MTem

Sorry but if your thinking on cell tower radiation is as muddled as the above on CC then this thread should end here. You are mixing up whether there is evidence of its occurrence, evidence of its cause, potential consequences and what we can/should/shouldn't do as a consequence ..... and layering onto a very personal view on human and avian lifestyle choices.

I'd suggest you stick to cell tower radiation, and also start taking in what some of the scientists who are taking a lot of time to try to help you through the maze. Saying you don't understand physics and then postulating cause and affect on detailed scientific topic deep in physics is not getting you very far.

Mick

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Today, 12:53   #255
MTem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Heron View Post
Climate change is the new orthodoxy, and to deny it is heresy.
To deny it isn't heresy, it's just not good science.

What we then do as a consequence is politics - it is important to separate the two.

And as I've commented before one of the 'joys' of t'Internet is that you can find seemingly 'scientific' proofs of almost anything, from flat Earth, to Noah's ark to Elvis still alive. All bollox .... but still compelling 'proof' to some.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: