• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (1 Viewer)

Thanks - sorry you couldn't make it again this year, hope things pick up soon.

Hi Sal,
It's just a combination of credit crunch and Xmas.

We have been planning for two years now to come out for the World Cup, but I can't commit to the dates until I get a new contract, so it's now very unlikely we will be able to come out then as the flights will all be booked up by now. :-C

At least I've been able to watch the birds in the garden more - from indoors of course as it is now very cold here - max 2C today and starting to snow. Whilst we may not have the antics of a Pin-tailed hoodlum to watch, it's really interesting to watch the behaviour of the different species at the feeding stations.

Allan

Hi Sal,
It's just a combination of credit crunch and Xmas.

We have been planning for two years now to come out for the World Cup, but I can't commit to the dates until I get a new contract, so it's now very unlikely we will be able to come out then as the flights will all be booked up by now. :-C

At least I've been able to watch the birds in the garden more - from indoors of course as it is now very cold here - max 2C today and starting to snow. Whilst we may not have the antics of a Pin-tailed hoodlum to watch, it's really interesting to watch the behaviour of the different species at the feeding stations.

Allan

Probably just as well. I believe the airlines have increased their flight costs considerably over WC period,and the handling fees (paid by airlines to baggage handling company) have gone up by 130% . . . .

Yes I believe you are having some very - er - seasonal weather. I'm guessing that the birds rely on feeding stations quite a lot right now - good chance for some photography?

Hi Sal - do you need me to cut and paste more of John's tales of SA?

I had a quick look there just now and he has got somelovely photo's - and looks like he has finished his tales.

I will be checking on and off as I am watching the last day of the Test match!

Cheers
C

Hi Sal - do you need me to cut and paste more of John's tales of SA?

I had a quick look there just now and he has got somelovely photo's - and looks like he has finished his tales.

I will be checking on and off as I am watching the last day of the Test match!

Cheers
C

Hi Dryocopus

I have been away - only got back this afternoon so when I saw your post I went straight to John's website and this time I had no problem so I was able to finish his report and look at the photos. Many thanks. Hope you enjoyed the Test match . . . .

Kruger Park, 12th-16th December 2009

I, my wife, and our two daughters - after almost a three-year gap - finally returned to KNP this month, and had a totally splendid visit. We left Jo'burg on Saturday 12th, and drove through the Phalaborwa Gate around 15h00, en route to Letaba, where we would spend the first two nights. The park looked more like Ireland than South Africa, emerald green wherever one looked, yet the grass was still short enough for lapwings, coursers and larks. The weather, I have to say was mixed - Sunday hot, with an evening thunderstorm right in the middle of our braai, Monday, wet, perishingly cold and windy, Tuesday fine again.......but it takes more than weird weather to spoil a visit to the park.

We saw some great birds, and witnessed some interesting behaviour, which I will share with you over the next couple of posts. So, without further ado, here's the list for the trip........

Red-headed Weaver, Blue Waxbill, Diederick Cuckoo, Grey Hornbill, Red-billed Quelea, Laughing Dove, Sabota Lark, Tawny Eagle, White-browed Scrub-robin, Grey Go-away Bird, White-backed Vulture, European Bee-eater, Yellow-billed Hornbill, Red-billed Hornbill, Swainson’s Spurfowl, Bateleur, Little Swift, Crowned Lapwing, Red-billed Oxpecker, Three-banded Plover, Red-billed Buffalo Weaver, Grey Heron, Blacksmith Lapwing, White-faced Duck, Egyptian Goose, Cape Wagtail, Water Thick-knee, Helmeted Guineafowl, Magpie Shrike, Cinnamon-breasted Bunting, Temminck’s Courser, Purple (Rufous-crowned) Roller, Monotonous Lark, Mocking Cliff-chat, Cape Glossy Starling, Long-billed Crombec, Red-backed Shrike, Crested Francolin, Fork-tailed Drongo, Black-crowned Tchagra, Woodland Kingfisher, Black-backed Puffback, Cape Turtle-dove, Double-banded Sandgrouse, Marabou Stork, African Scops-owl, Barn Owl (h), White-browed Robin-chat, Brown Snake-eagle, Steppe Buzzard, Steppe Eagle, Brown-crowned Tchagra, African Paradise-flycatcher, Crested Barbet, Red-winged Starling, African Mourning Dove, Red-eyed Dove (h), Natal Francolin, Chinspot Batis, Hadeda Ibis, Little Egret, Amethyst Sunbird, African Goshawk, White-fronted Bee-eater, Goliath Heron, Yellow-billed Stork, Great Egret, African Fish-eagle, Common Greenshank, Jacobin Cuckoo, Dark-capped Bulbul, Hamerkop, White-rumped Swift, Common Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Green-backed Heron, Emerald-spotted Wood-dove, Cardinal Woodpecker, Golden-tailed Woodpecker, Violet-backed Starling, Red-faced Mousebird, Black-headed Oriole, Green Wood-hoopoe, Brown-headed Parrot, Greater Blue-eared Starling, African Pipit, Wahlberg’s Eagle, African Hoopoe, African Openbill, White-crested Helmet-shrike, Green-winged Pytilia, Grey-headed Sparrow, Marico Sunbird, Tawny-flanked Prinia, Cut-throat Finch, Pied Kingfisher, Brown-hooded Kingfisher, Southern Ground Hornbill, Cape Wagtail, African Spoonbill, Arrow-marked Babbler, Village Weaver, Cattle Egret, Grey-headed Bush-shrike (h), Klaas’s Cuckoo, Pygmy Kingfisher, Speckled Mousebird, Grey-backed Camaroptera, Broad-billed Roller, Pale Flycatcher, Kurrichane Thrush, Namaqua Dove, Red-billed Firefinch, Trumpeter Hornbill, Common Scimitarbill, Barn Swallow, House Sparrow, Wattled Starling, Lesser Masked Weaver, Bronze-winged Courser, European Roller, Orange-breasted Bush-shrike, Yellow-billed Oxpecker, Lesser Grey Shrike, White Stork, Martial Eagle, Ruff, Burchell’s Starling, African Green-pigeon, Red-crested Korhaan, Comb Duck, Senegal Lapwing, Crowned Lapwing, Kori Bustard, Southern Carmine Bee-eater, Lazy Cisticola, Black Crake, Amur Falcon, Lappet-faced Vulture, White-headed Vulture, African Pied Wagtail, Red-chested Cuckoo (h), Rufous-naped Lark, Rattling Cisticola, Ostrich, Southern Black Tit, Black-shouldered Kite, Pin-tailed Whydah, Black-headed Heron, Spotted Flycatcher, Hooded Vulture

The little (h) indicates a bird heard, but not seen. I think there are 151 birds there, which is not bad for just 3 full days. The list above is for KNP birds only, but we didn't only see birds in the park. We spotted a fine pair of Saddle-billed Storks between Gravelotte and Phalaborwa on the way to the park, and on the return journey we picked up a fine Crowned Crane and a Long-crested Eagle between Dullstroom and Belfast.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Last edited:
Nice list Dave. Glad you had such a good trip. I agree about the emerald green - it was the first thing we noticed when we went in November.

Nice list Dave, our twins are not even a year old yet, so all i can do at the moment is read reports on KNP. Oh well, one day we will return again!

I have still not seen cut-throat finch despite much trying, do you remember where you saw it?

Andrew

OK, here is episode 2 of my Kruger trip. I know I go on about the heat here, but it really was horrendous!

14 November

Dawn is breaking and the bush is emerging from the darkness and picking up reflective hues from the long rays of light. Birds are already singing and we feel good. It rained in the night so everywhere is fresh and gleaming. On the way to Matjulu we see Black-crowned Tchagra, Laughing Dove and Crested Barbet. Matjulu is quiet and we sit at the top and drink our tea, totally in harmony with the peace we find here in the clear still water below us and the tall trees around it and the steep stony hills behind, washed now with pink and golden colours so that they are glowing. There is a juvenile Martial Eagle perched in a tall tree near the waterhole. Near the junction with the S110 we stop to look at some Barberton daisies making an arresting carpet of colour amongst the spring greens. Further on we see a juvenile Black Snake Eagle at the top of another tall tree. Seems eagles have the monopoly on these tall trees standing out in the veld. We always enjoy this road and we travel along it very slowly stopping frequently to investigate birds, adding to our sightings with Red-eyed Dove, Cardinal Woodpecker, Red-faced Mousebird and Magpie Shrike.
We swing slowly round a corner and come across a sleeping mass of buffalo, probably fifty or more, huddled close together and hunched down amongst the grasses, their horns making an intricately interlocked pattern of points and curves. Steam rises gently from their nostrils and a busy swarm of tiny flies whose wings catch the sun create a moving golden halo just above their bosses. Here and there are Red-billed Oxpeckers and a Cattle Egret drifts from the back and lands in front, doubtless hoping for fresh bounty where the buffalo show signs of movement.

After leaving the buffalo and their attendants we find more birds – a Lizard Buzzard, then a Bearded Woodpecker, followed by two beautiful Woodland Kingfishers picking insects of the bark of a tree; Masked Weavers, Dark-capped Bulbuls and my first lovely Red-backed Shrike for years. Visiting Kruger at this time of the year certainly has its advantages in terms of the summer visitors. By now it is 08.20 and the temperature is already 30C. There are some weavers hawking from a tall green tree on our left and a Pin-tailed Whyda moving slowly over the grasses on our right, tail drooping as he sinks into the grass. We see a Black-shouldered Kite hovering, a Martial Eagle at the top of yet another tall tree, looking regally out over the countryside, and a bit further on we come across an African Hawk-Eagle perched with its back to us in a dead tree. It turns its head to look at us as we stop, then takes off on a beautiful spread of black and white.

After visiting Afsaal and checking on the Scops Owl who is still on exactly the same branch in the same pose (have they stuffed him? Maybe be died and the tourists are being fooled . . . .) we turn back down the tar road. It is very hot – already 38C and everything has disappeared. On the Timfenene Loop we find a Dusky Flycatcher sitting on a branch looking exhausted – bit like we feel and then hear a Chin-spot Batis which we track down as it zips busily (in this heat?) through the new leaves. As the temperature climbs into the 40s (reaching 43.5C!) we head back along the Crocodile River road for camp with the windows closed and the air conditioner on full blast. Later, after a swim and a rest in our lovely air conditioned room, we feel strong enough to go out again. It is 43C so there is still not much about, but we do come across a Southern White-crowned Shrike. Next we find an African Fish Eagle high in a tree (yup, they’re all high these eagles! Just so I can’t take pics . . . .) on the right near the river.

Next on the agenda is a juvenile Bateleur which has one injured leg. Every now and then it puts the other leg down and gives a little hop as though it is painful. We wonder what has happened. Being a juvenile, it could have misjudged something. They steal prey from other birds – maybe it was attacked . . . . Just after that we come across a Brown Snake Eagle in a tree. Although it is at the top, the tree is not quite so high so I do manage to capture it. On the way back to camp, still struggling with the heat, we list Green-backed Camaroptera, Green Wood-Hoopoe and Speckled Mousebird. By half past six, the temperature is still 42C and as we drive along the camp road we find White-browed Scrub-Robin near our chalet.

Attachments

• 618 Cattle egret.jpg
    618 Cattle egret.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 733 African hawk Eagle.jpg
    733 African hawk Eagle.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 809 Southern White-crowned Shrike.jpg
    809 Southern White-crowned Shrike.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 56
  • 847 Brown Snake Eagle.jpg
    847 Brown Snake Eagle.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 65
Nice list Dave, our twins are not even a year old yet, so all i can do at the moment is read reports on KNP. Oh well, one day we will return again!

I have still not seen cut-throat finch despite much trying, do you remember where you saw it?

Andrew

Hi, Andrew,

I can remember precisely where I saw the Cut-throat Finch. I had left Letaba Camp and turned right onto the main road north (H1-6) which leads across the Letaba Bridge and on to Mopane Camp, Shingwedzi, and Punda Maria. The little finch was sitting in a Large Fever-berry Croton megalobotrys no more than a kilometre along this road. So it was very close to Letaba Camp.

And here he is.......rotten pic, but OK for a record shot.

Best wishes,
Dave

Attachments

• d-143.jpg
    d-143.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
The little (h) indicates a bird heard, but not seen. I think there are 151 birds there, which is not bad for just 3 full days. The list above is for KNP birds only, but we didn't only see birds in the park. We spotted a fine pair of Saddle-billed Storks between Gravelotte and Phalaborwa on the way to the park, and on the return journey we picked up a fine Crowned Crane and a Long-crested Eagle between Dullstroom and Belfast.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Dave,
Nice list....
How is the Letaba River flowing, can you still see the small island in front of the resturant or is the River over the top of it?
It is nice to hear that Crowned Cranes are still to be seen along the Belfast to Dullstroom Road. We used to see them years ago on our way to our cousin's farm in Finsbury Valley, near Lydenburg (when the fog wasn't down!).

Martin

OK, here is episode 2 of my Kruger trip. I know I go on about the heat here, but it really was horrendous!

14 November

a bit further on we come across an African Hawk-Eagle perched with its back to us in a dead tree. It turns its head to look at us as we stop, then takes off on a beautiful spread of black and white.

Nice story, Sal - and your AHE is one of the finest pictures I have seen. Well done.
Dave

Sal,
Also a nice list from KNP.
Both yours and Dave's lists and descriptions make our trip to KNP in January even more anticipated.
I also note the temps you are quoting and think of our overseas visitors that are now suffering freezing temps with Max of 2c coming to the heat and humidity of KNP of 43c!
I am glad that you have stated that the veld is green as well as Dave.... I am pleased about that as you were in the south of KNP and so Marloth must have had rain as well...
How is the Crocodile River flowing, it should be good considering the amount of rain we are having in JHB?

Martin

Dave,
Nice list....
How is the Letaba River flowing, can you still see the small island in front of the resturant or is the River over the top of it?
It is nice to hear that Crowned Cranes are still to be seen along the Belfast to Dullstroom Road. We used to see them years ago on our way to our cousin's farm in Finsbury Valley, near Lydenburg (when the fog wasn't down!).

Martin

Hello, Martin,
The Letaba was flowing quite strongly, but I suspect it has fallen since you saw the island. The river now passes well beyond the island. The narrow channel which would have formed the western boundary of the island was dry, with just a few puddles of water remaining.

With regard to the Crowned Crane, that was a big surprise to us - the crane we look for along that stretch of road is the Wattled Crane, which we have seen several times there. The Crowned Crane was a first for us at that spot.
Dave

Hello, Martin,

With regard to the Crowned Crane, that was a big surprise to us - the crane we look for along that stretch of road is the Wattled Crane, which we have seen several times there. The Crowned Crane was a first for us at that spot.
Dave

Dave,
In the early to mid 90's we travelled that route probably once every 5 or 6 weeks and the majority of the sightings were actually after Dullstroom, after the highest point of the road, but before the turning to Lydenburg.
After reaching the valley floor, the open areas on the left presented the most sightings, although many of these were quite far away we stopped many times to watch them slowly walking through the grassland, which is why I am so pleased Cranes can still be seen in the area.

Martin

Kruger Park, 12th-16th December 2009

This first batch of photographs deals with the drive from the KNP entrance at Phalaborwa to Letaba, where we would spend the first two nights.

The caterpillars of the Mopane Moth Imbrasia belina were rampant among the mopane trees throughout the Letaba area (d002). This, of course meant lots of food for birds, and in particular, cuckoos, for which caterpillars form an important component of their diet. Certainly we saw and heard cuckoos everywhere - Diederick, Klaas's, Red-chested and Jacobin - of which many were juveniles, indicating a successful breeding season.

We diverted right from the main H9 road along the S51 loop, which passes Sable Dam with the Sable Overnight Hide, and regains the main H9 at the conical hill of Masorini, a preserved Iron age site. Close to the Sable Hide I photographed what I believe to be a Giant Plated Lizard Gerrhosaurus validus (d020) - something we had not previously seen in the Park. Opinions as to its identity are welcome.

Sabota Larks (d026) were everywhere, and this one was happy to forage along the road edge while we took his picture.

Although the park was lushly grassed, the grass was still relatively short, and we had several sightings of Temminck's Courser. d032 shows two of a trio of birds which may have been a family group.

Close by the main H9 we had a good sighting of a male Mocking Cliff-chat (d043). This took me a little by surprise, for I could not recall having recorded this bird in the Park before. The flat, and relatively featureless ground along the H9 does not seem to fit their usual, more rugged, habitat. Here again, any comments on sightings and locations of this bird in KNP would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Dave

Attachments

• d-002.jpg
    d-002.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 61
  • d-020.jpg
    d-020.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 59
  • d 026.jpg
    d 026.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 59
  • d 032.jpg
    d 032.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 57
  • d 043.jpg
    d 043.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Sal,

How is the Crocodile River flowing, it should be good considering the amount of rain we are having in JHB?

Martin

I'm sure Marloth must have had rain Martin. There was quite a bit of rain in the south whilst I was there. My sister tells me it is still raining now - hailstorms, thunderstorms, the lot! Yes, the Crocodile was flowing well and had plenty of water.

Close by the main H9 we had a good sighting of a male Mocking Cliff-chat (d043). This took me a little by surprise, for I could not recall having recorded this bird in the Park before. The flat, and relatively featureless ground along the H9 does not seem to fit their usual, more rugged, habitat. Here again, any comments on sightings and locations of this bird in KNP would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Dave

Dave I saw Mocking Cliff-chats in Kruger in March 1997 and April 1998. I'm afraid I have put away the notebooks from that time so I can't tell you where I saw them, but they were both further south than yours. Satara or below.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back