• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodward's Eagle & Langrand's Ground-roller … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a little detour from the Etymology Sub-Forum

There are two prehistoric (fossil) Birds birds with the names:
● Woodward's Eagle Amplibuteo woodwardi MILLER 1911
● Langrand's Ground-roller Brachypteracias langrandi GOODMAN 2000

As I understand it they, the Eagle respectively the Ground-roller, was described in:
● Miller, L. H. 1911. A series of eagle tarsi from the Pleistocene of Rancho La Brea. University of California publications. Bulletin of the Department of Geology 6: 305-316.
● Goodman, S. M. 2000. A description of a new species of Brachypteracias (Family Brachypteraciidae) from the Holocene of Madagascar. Ostrich: Journal of African Ornithology 71 (1 & 2): 318–322.

Any of you ornipaleontologists's have access to either of those two articles?

Or know anything regarding the persons commemorated in those names?

PS. PS. Also see (or compare with) the Etymology Sub-Forum thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2917375#post2917375

Last edited:
Amplibuteo woodwardi (Miller, 1911). was described as Morphnus woodwardi.
This forrn is given its specific name in honor of Dr. A. Smith-Woodward of the British Museum of Natural History.

Brachypteracias langrandi Goodman 2000.
This new subfossil species is named in honor of Olivier Langrand, friend and colleague, who has made a major contribution over the past decade to Malagasy ornithology and the advancement of conservation programs to safeguard the island's unique biota.

Literature:

Steven M. Goodman, 2000: A Description of a New Species of Brachypteracias (Family Brachypteraciidae) from the Holocene of Madagascar: Ostrich 71: 318-322

Loye Holmes Miller, 1911: A Series of Eagle Tarsi from the Pleistocene of Rancho La Brea University of California Publications, Department of Geology 6(16): 305-316

I have a pdf of both papers, so Björn, if you want a copy mail me at [email protected] so I can attache them to my reply to you.

Fred Ruhe

Fred

Fred, you´re a Gem!

Many many thanks. Now I will be able to trace "Dr. A. Smith-Woodward" and "Olivier Langrand".

To be continued; in Etymology Sub-Forum

Cheers!

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back