• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing cetaceans in unusual circumstances (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

Isle of Man
I was on Faial in the Azores at the start of September. I left the island on the 5th, flying out from Horta Airport in early evening. Sitting at the departure gate I frequently looked out to sea with my binoculars to spot passing Cory's shearwaters. At one stage 4 dolphins swam past. Has anyone else seen cetaceans from an airport departure gate or in other unusual circumstances?

I had a large whale from a plane flying over Crete. 38000ft up.

My wife saw 2 dolphins when we were on our descent on a plane landing at Drake Bay, Costa Rica.

That's it I think

I had a large whale from a plane flying over Crete. 38000ft up.

My wife saw 2 dolphins when we were on our descent on a plane landing at Drake Bay, Costa Rica.

That's it I think

Tyson,

Thanks. I often wonder if cetaceans can be seen from aircraft cruising high up, but have never seen any myself. Your observations give me hope!

Allen

I've seen Belugas from the air, flying into Anchorage, Alaska. However, at that point we were pretty low; it was a smallish aircraft (scheduled internal flight).

Andrea

I British-ticked Minke Whale from a Piper Aztec en route Glasgow-Benbecula, and I once had a Risso's Dolphin surface below the Skybus.

Realistically you do need to be fairly low to have a chance of a sighting, let alone an ID. The first instance was from about 5,000 feet and the Skybus was at 1500 or less.

John

Dottlenose dolphin, White Beaked Dolphin, Minkie Whale and Humpback Whale all from the corner of my eye whilst driving on my commute. Other road users beware!!!! Bottlenose Dolphin 3 times from the train (only taken that route 8 times in total) first time nearly pulled the emergancy cord.

Ian

IN 1993, birding at Kosi Tappu at the end of one of the earth berms sticking out into the river; I heard a loud "PFFFFFFFFF", turned around in time to see a Ganges River Dolphin surface within 10 yards of the bank. The first (and only?) time I've picked up a cetacean by sound.

cheers, a

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back