• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ghana, July/August 2017 (1 Viewer)

Having been to Ghana to do a rainforest bird study as a student in 1989, I've always wanted to go back. I finally managed it this summer - a friend and I booked a private tour with Ashanti African Tours. It was amazing - the guide we had (James Ntakor) was exceptional, and with a driver and that local knowledge I saw 25% more species (including nearly 150 lifers) in 17 days of birding this year, as opposed to 10 weeks in the country 28 years ago.

Dwarf Crocodile and Pel's Anomalure were other highlights, along with so much more other wildlife, as well as birds. I've put together a trip report with a selection of photos. I can't see how to upload a pdf here, but if anyone wants to see it, it is at:
https://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport/repository/BRANSCOMBE_Ghana_0708_2017.pdf

I can really recommend the country. It is a tough place for people & wildlife - the pressures from bushmeat and Grey Parrot trapping to habitat loss are severe. The NGO conservation movement has taken off since I was there last time, and I made sure I had an extra day meeting a few folk from conservation bodies in the country, who I am keeping in touch with and I might be able to help out with some of my time in fundraising. I was particularly impressed by the new school for Bonkro and Breku which Ashanti African Tours are building (through their Rainforest Rescue Ghana spin-off charity) at the Yellow-headed Picathartes site that everyone visits these days. Great to see somewhere where the prospects of people and wildlife are better through being linked.

What with nearly 400 species of birds, a huge range of other wildlife, and excellent guide & driver, and some glimmers of conservation hope, it was my best holiday ever.

Julian

Thanks

Peter & Dieter - many thanks! I'm glad that you've found looking at the link worthwhile. I hadn't realised that the best read reports on Bird Forum seemed to be text pasted into the thread - I wanted to put something together that I could email to the friends who wanted to hear more about it.

It was such a good trip. I've got a warm glow just thinking about it again!

Julian

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back