• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD 10x42 review and its position in the market (1 Viewer)

Hi Chris

Please post the link to the review and also clarify whether the reviewed model is 42mm or 56mm, Zeiss has not announced a 52.

Lee

What a surprise - problems with the eyecups.

What a major fail from Zeiss...its a great binocular but hurt badly by the weak link eye-cups. I'm on my second set and they cannot be screwed in tight enough to allow me to pull the eye-cups out of the down position without screwing out the eyepiece....boo!

That said, my 8x32 is still a favourite for every reason OTHER than the eye-cups.

Could work but I would be screwed when the 2nd set of cups disintegrates and needs replacing....again.

James

Why don't you push Zeiss for another set of eyecups and get rid of the set that are so intractable? I am not defending Zeiss eyecups in anyway, as none of them are as good as they should be, not even (or especially) on SF and HT. But I haven't encountered any Conquests with eyecups like yours and I have fiddled about with more Conquests than I can count over the last few years. The have all been a bit loose and wobbly but none have unscrewed when going from specs to non-specs positions.

BTW did you ever manage to get a replacement logo for your Terra?

Lee

I find the Conquest to be very good, and if some call it a benchmark in the midrange, I would
agree with that.

As far as the eyecups, they are plastic, and they do the job for me. I just leave them in the place
they work for me, and don't play around with them.
I don't wear glasses, and have tried both the original and the other type that came out later.
Both work for me just fine.

This should not be an issue for someone looking to purchase a Conquest HD.

Jerry

Hi James,

Boo indeed. Would a drop of loctite do it or would that be sacrilege?

You know, I've wondered the same thing..

My 10X42s have had zero issues. The 8X32s that the issue of screwing out when first purchased.. After a while of working them in and out....no more issues and function perfectly!

Hi James,

Boo indeed. Would a drop of loctite do it or would that be sacrilege?

Could work but I would be screwed when the 2nd set of cups disintegrates and needs replacing....again.

If the threads are metal to metal, use blue Loctite #242 and use very little. Should be fine. Avoid red, it's way too strong.

Permatex 19920 Plastic Threadlocker is made for plastic threads. I've never used it.

Last edited:
The current eye-cup position is perfect for me, so I just don't move them - eye relief is excellent. That said, I can't move them down if using sunglasses etc.

Until they become a [bigger] problem, I'll just leave them as is....and, yes Lee, I did get my Terra badge - a year later!

The current eye-cup position is perfect for me, so I just don't move them - eye relief is excellent. That said, I can't move them down if using sunglasses etc.

Until they become a [bigger] problem, I'll just leave them as is....and, yes Lee, I did get my Terra badge - a year later!

OK if the badge drops off again send me a PM as I have a couple of the badges 'in stock' and I'll post you one.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back