• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My life list (1 Viewer)

Went to Sherburne WMA in Iberville Parish, LA for the Wood Stork Festival. There were only three wood storks on the day we went.

171. Pectoral Sandpiper
172. Glossy Ibis
173. Wood Stork

Last edited:
First lifer in a while. I was very sick last fall and entirely missed migration. I was birding in the yard (Baytown, TX) yesterday while letting my rabbit out to run and heard a call I didn't recognize. I searched towards the sound with my binocs and found:

174. Chipping Sparrow

PS I got Sibley's for Christmas :D

Birding at Aransas NWR in Texas and along the coast between Houston and Aransas yesterday and today I added:

175. Sandhill Crane
176. Crested Caracara
177. Wild Turkey
178. Blue-winged Teal
179. American Avocet
180. Least Grebe
181. Ladder-backed Woodpecker
182. Bald Eagle :D
183. Long-billed Curlew
184. Common Loon
185. White-tailed Hawk

Didn't see any whooping cranes. Maybe next time...

Last edited:
Went to Galveston, Texas, today for a job fair. I didn't find a job, but I went birdwatching afterwards and found:

186. Red-breasted Merganser
187. Marbled Godwit

In Singer, Louisiana (Beauregard Parish) today:

188. Sedge Wren

I've "seen" Sedge Wrens before but it was just a blur and someone telling me it was a Sedge Wren. Today I got a view I was satisfied with. I upgraded it from almost lifer to lifer, but I added another almost lifer today. I got very tired after chasing a very crafty Henslow's Sparrow (got caught and banded last month so he knew how to avoid the net). So I sat down in the shade and let the group continue flushing the plot without me. Not even a minute had gone by and they flushed an American Bittern. I briefly saw its silhouette through the trees. I had no clue what it was until I heard them yell out "American Bittern!". I tried in vain to find it and get a satisfying view. Better luck next time. ;)

At Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park in central Florida:

March:
190. Palm Warbler
191. Grasshopper Sparrow
192. Burrowing Owl

April:
193. Common Ground-Dove
194. Barn Owl
195. Merlin
196. Great Crested Flycatcher
197. Worm-eating Warbler
198. Florida Scrub-Jay

Almost to 200! :eek!:

Last edited:
Just realized the birds flitting around in the sky above our house aren't ALL purple martins. A few were swooping low over the house and didn't quite look right, so I got out my binocs. They were chimney swifts! And they seemed to be checking out our chimney. :D I realize now I've been hearing them for days but assumed they were martins. Now I can hear and see the difference.

202. Chimney Swift

I went birding in Kemah and Seabrook, Texas last weekend. There were too many people and not a lot of birds. However when I was under the hwy 146 bridge on the Seabrook side, I saw:

203. Monk Parakeet

Apparently there has been a colony in this area for years. I'll have to go back and look for some nests sometime. :)

Was in the backyard this morning watching a Mississippi Kite soar overhead when suddenly and unexpectedly two of these guys flew over:

204. Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

Went to Seabrook again today. Wanted to try to find some Monk Parakeet nests. Which I did. Loud squawking colonies in the palm trees in the marina. I also saw tons of swallow nests on the side of the bridge. There were some barn swallows like I expected, but most were:

205. Cliff Swallow

Haven't been here in a while. Here are my updates.

Trip to Anahuac NWR in Texas on Dec 30, 2007:

206. Greater White-fronted Goose
207. Northern Pintail
208. White-tailed Kite

And then March 21, 2008 at High Island and Port Bolivar, Texas:

209. Louisiana Waterthrush
210. Bonaparte's Gull

Almost a year since you posted last! Good to have you back and posting about the birds you are adding to your life list!

*April and May are the premier months for getting some "good" birds.

Regards,

Another visit to Sherburne today, another lifer. There were some people there from the Baton Rouge Audobon Society and they let me borrow their scope so I could ID some peeps (and get a better look at the Wood Storks in the distance).

214. Western Sandpiper

January 1, 2009 in Sabine NWR, Louisiana
215. Peregrine Falcon

January 2, 2009 in Cameron Prairie NWR, Louisiana
216. White-crowned Sparrow

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back