• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Walk........ (1 Viewer)

Judo

.......Down Memory Lane....
Hi All,
Yesterday, instead of the local walk we planned, we decided to motor out to a little Hostelry we know for our Sunday lunch, (and very delicious it was too!) (there are birds I promise!) then a visit to put flowers on my Brother, Mam & Dad's grave. After this we decided to motor on a little further to the place where I spent my childhood. So, parking the car at the side of the Canal I used to play beside, we walked the along the tow path. On the opposite bank and in the water were a flock (is that the right word??) of what must have been well over 200 we reckoned, Canada Geese! & boy, can they make a noise!! photo is just some of 'em, wish I had a wide-angle lens!! amongst them a lone Swan, a sad look about it, to be alone! A Grey Heron flew past overhead, on his way to who-knows-where. Lots of Barges chuntered by with a cheery word exchanged with each helms-person. Walking further along there were lots of Swallows skimming the water and darting round the fields, still didn't manage a photo, they're far too quick for me, and I nearly toppled into the canal whilst trying!! Further along a lone Gull (Black Headed??) perched on a post, looking lost all on his own, wonder where all his mates were? We then left the Canal bank and climbed up on to the lane, to make a circular walk back to the car. This lane took us past the little country Chapel where Hubby and I were married, the Sages say 'you should never go back' don't they? in this instance they were right! Oh dear! the little Chapel is no more!! it's been converted to a house, and not a very good conversion either, an eyesore IMO!! Further along and here is what used to be the little cottages where I spent most of my child/girlhood, where I was married from, and the house next door in which we spent our early married years. Both my children were born here and Christened in that same little Chapel!! Both cottages totally changed and unrecognisable to us as the places we knew and loved! The farm where my Dad and Brother worked, being sold off in pieces for Barn conversions etc., as is happening or going to, to almost every farm around there, some of the fields where I played as a child, and that were once busy with cattle, hay & cereal crops, now lying fallow, rank with weeds, unused, unwanted..........all so very sad..........:-C
On a happier note we saw lots more Swallows skimming over the fields, and a lovely charm of about 20 Goldfinch twittering from tree to tree. On now past the Telephone box on the corner, where I and the local teenagers used to gather (and annoy the neighbours I've no doubt!) and back to where we left the car.
As we drove off, a Kestrel hovered over the field, with another perched on a post in the field!! stopped the car, jumped out, grabbed camera from boot........you guessed it.........gone!! Drove on a bit further, rounded a bend, and there he/she was perched on the wire!! grabbed the camera, and managed two shots through the car windscreen, before it was off again on its hunt for dinner.
Well, a good lunch, a lovely walk in the country, and a Bittersweet afternoon spent with our memories of happy times..........not a lot of birds seen, but enough to cheer me.... hope I didn't bore you too much with my ramblings........
(To add a footnote, you're right Bill, there are lots and lots of Berries about this year, plenty seen on this walk!)
I'll leave you with some photos..........
My Best to You All,

Attachments

• 1)Canadas by Canal.jpg
    1)Canadas by Canal.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2)Lonely Swan.jpg
    2)Lonely Swan.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 3)Gull.jpg
    3)Gull.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 4)Kestrel.jpg
    4)Kestrel.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 5)Kestrel again.jpg
    5)Kestrel again.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi Judo.
Isn't it a good job we have memories, and the ability to shut out the bad bits. I trust that that place in which you lived will always be strong in your mind's eye, and that those memories will transcend what saw on your return.

Apart from the sadness you felt, I hope the rest of the day was good; your pics certainly are. You were right about the geese: a flock on the ground and a skein in flight.

All the very best,
Baz.

I enjoyed your walk and reminiscing Judo,thanks. 'Everthing Changes' is a song title and how true it is. It is sad to see 'progress' that is not always pleasurable to the eye, even less pleasurable when you have happy memories of what once sounded an idyllic place to grow up in! Progress, Huh!

Your description of your walk was very cheery 'birdwise' and thank goodness you managed to snap the kestrel, always frustrating when the camera is in the boot, I have been there and done that like many others I expect!

Great photos and a great story to go with them! Thanks Judo:t:

Happy birding

I've enjoyed your walk, Judo...thank you for sharing it.

I think that you'll find you are right with the gull identification as a Black Headed. If you look at the first picture on http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=95738 you will see a similar chap and identified by Ray a couple of posts down as a juvenile Black Headed.

Keep your reports coming, I love to wander round through other people's eyes!!!

Hi Judo. Lovely read of your day despite the upset of seeing the change for the worse and a nice set of pics. Well done on getting the Kestrel, don't we all know that glance away and it's gone feeling! :-O.
Your correct on B.H Gull..;)

Awww! Hi Judo,
Your thread was so moving I forgot what birds you saw & had to go back to remind myself.
Not that it matters really, your day out was very poignant & must have stirred up all sorts of emotions. It's such a shame that thing's change in the name of "progress"
I met a wonderful couple at a reserve last week, they had been business partners for 40yrs & now retired. The woman was recently widowed & all three ran a Florists & Nurseries. The business could not compete with Dutch imports & Tesco selling a doz Roses for £4 etc. They talked about how Florist's & corner shops will one day be a thing of the past.
I'm sure they're right. Our little village has already lost the Post office, bread & fruit shop. Instead we have 3 new estate agents!

As others have said, at least you have wonderful memories.
Thanks for a wonderful report Judo.

Hi Baz, Pam, Wendy, Ray & pie,
Thank you all for your very kind replies and your understanding of my feelings.
Baz, Thanks & oh yes Baz, the good memories are very strong and will outlast the unhappiness of seeing it all changed. Thanks for the confirmation re flock.
Pam, thank you Pam, glad you enjoyed my reminiscences, after I'd posted this story, I had doubts about doing so! whether it would come over as a bit maudlin etc......so it's nice to know you weren't bored to tears.
Wendy, thanks to you too, for your kind words, glad you enjoyed it too.
Ray, thanks for the confirmation on the BH Gull, nice to get it right! yes, I was lucky to get the second chance with the Kestrel!
pie, Ahhh thanks pie, that was kind of you. I think you're right too in what you say re the little shops....progress??....hmmm.....makes you wonder if it is!!!
Thanks again everyone for your kindness.
My Best to You All,

Hi Judo,

A day of some sadness as well as many beautiful memories! Towns, cities, villages, buildings and everything around them will sadly always be on the change but no one can take away the beautiful memories of them which remain locked in our hearts. They do say 'never go back', but that's difficult to adhere to as we grow up and if we have any sentiment at all, it's only natural to want to do so, we just need to try to be ready for all the changes that are naturally going to have taken place since.

Just a little something to ponder on Judo, just how much have the wonderful places we all recall have changed for previous generations to become our treasures! My Gran was always saying about the "good old days", but I suspect each generation holds different ones dear to what the former ones did - has to because change sadly is inevitable.

Cherish those beloved memories Judo, they are us! Lovely photos of a day of learning, keep looking to the Birds and Wildlife.

Sue.

Last edited:
Hi Sue,
Thanks for that Sue, you're right of course. I too remember my Gran & even my Parents saying the same, I suppose it's what comes of growing older!! the trouble is......it all seems like only yesterday!!.......but as you say, the memories are safe.
My Best to You Sue,

I am glad you enjoyed your walk, Judo, even if progress spoiled it in places.

Those are lovely pics, and I enjoyed your memories.

PS - I always thought it a gaggle of geese!

Thanks Kits, glad you enjoyed reading it. Yes, I've heard them called that too! Am I right in thinking a 'Gaggle' of Geese is the collective noun?? oh well, whatever they're called, there was an awful lot of 'em!!! LOL
My Best to You Kits,

A nice if poignant read Judo.

I have similar feelings about progress, although nothing is going to stop it and there was an interesting article in the local newspaer which highlighted the urban sprawl between 1960 and today. Whilst the building has spread the area affected by artificial light has grown a pace too.

I have visited Cumbria since being a babe in arms and watched massive changes over there. I used to sit under the trees on the platform where the milk containers where collected from the farms and collect a jug of fresh milk from the farm. None of that now and the trees were replaced many years ago by houses. I still enjoy my walks although many of the people I once walked with no longer walk with me, not physically anyway. The memories remain however and progress will, I hope, never erase them. I am hoping to make many more memories too.|=)|

Take care

Thank you Brian.
What I wonder about is, if the farmers all sell off their buildings for barn conversions etc., what happens to the land that will no longer be of use?? I know some will be built on for yet more housing estates, (and maybe more houses are needed, I don't know), but all the fields can't be used that way, so what will happen to them? If left for Nature then that would be great, but it will surely still need managing, but by whom?? I hated seeing the fields that I saw, in such neglect! It's sad so many farms are being lost.......
Sorry I've rambled on a bit!!
I hope to make more memories too Brian......and long may we keep doing so!
My Best to You Brian

Interesting point about the number of farms being lost Judo. In the village I often stay with relatives in West Cumbria there were five farms when I was a youngster. Now there are none. Most of the barns have been converted into very good homes although one building was turned into flats and stood empty for years. The village school has been someones home for many years. Much of the land is untouched by building, thankfully, and is leased by a farmer who lives miles away and used for grazing of his cattle and sheep in the main. As far as I am aware he has no connection to the village other than that and of course the new housing is far too expensive for the local people to buy!

There is quite a lot of farmland within a few miles of where I live in North Tynside. I recently learnt that the farmers heve sold the land to building consortiums and simply rent the farms now, so it would seem that land will be lost under more brick and concrete in years to come.

take care

That is such a shame Brian, what will it be like for future generations I wonder!!......but "progress" marches ever onwards!! We can only remember with joy, and look back with sadness, at what was once, and is now gone, I reckon!
My Best to You Brian,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back