• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Niger seed? (1 Viewer)

People also call it thistle but its really niger. It is a thin black seed. Finches like it and most other birds don't touch it. Squirrels will not bother with it. It is expensive but it goes a long way if you use the right type of feeder.There are feeder which have a mesh screen which can hold many finches at once or you can buy a feeder which will only feed 4 finches at a time. I can't tell you if its good because I've never tasted it. Good luck.

Yes, (niger/nyger/nijer) is good for getting Goldfinches , but as Ivn said you need the correct type of feeder with minute holes so it doesn't come out, I believe you can get one already with the seed in.

Whatever you do never buy a plant of these as we now regret it, ours fell over in the strong winds last yearand spilled seed from its heads and we now have a lawn full of tiny plants which I have alredy dug up about 80 and still have about another 40 to get out!

Yes it brought me Goldfinches and extra Greenfinches. You need to invest in the special feeder aswell as the seed is very fine.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back